Crater of Diamonds State Park

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2003, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear Happy Travelers: Has anyone anything to recommend or say about this State Park? You are suppose to be able to dig for diamonds and other rocks there. They only mentioned camp sites on the premises. Has anyone been there, done that, etc. and where do you recommend to stay. We are not campers. We would be driving from Ohio. Don't know if this is worth the drive or not. Please help!
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 09:17 AM

I hope this is not your destination... if you have kids under 15, this may be fun. Allow 1/2 a day.
Stay in (and VISIT) Hot Springs, which is just 1/2 hour or so away.
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 09:24 AM

The Crater of Diamonds State Park looks like a big, empty plowed field - and that's exactly what it is. It is definitely NOT a travel destination as the above post mentions. We took our children there when they were young and we all played in the dirt for a little while. I'd never consider a return visit.
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your response. We are retired and not traveling with family. After hearing your responses, I'm going to change our plans and forget about it. Sincerely appreciate your help with this matter. Saved us a long trip. Thanks again.
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 03:51 AM

I went to the Crater of Diamonds State Park with my Dad and my sister, when we were little. We went in the middle of the summer, and it was hot as blazes. Yes, it's a huge, plowed field, and when I was there all those years ago, I don't think there was much shelter, and I remember getting a sunburn while we were there.

That being said, that's one of my favorite memories from when I was young. My sister doesn't remember it with fondness, I don't think, simply because the heat always affected her much more than it did me, and there wasn't anything else to do but dig in the dirt. But I loved it. I loved finding all the pieces of quartz, and thinking WOOO HOOOO I found a diamond! Of course, nothing I found was valuable at all, but just being there with my dad and sister, and the thrill of the hunt (yep, even as a kid I knew that thrill...still get that thrill when I go to flea markets, junk shops and yard sales, lol) made it a fun experience for me.

I think it also fostered a lifelong interest in archaeology, as well.

There's no real 'thrill factor' at the park, but even so, I would love to go back sometime.
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 04:10 AM

And just FYI:

This guy's website provides a lot of great info about the park and its history. A really interesting read... http://www.aristotle.net/~russjohn/crater.html