COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Black Hills

Old Mar 15th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Black Hills

We are departing Cody WY on a Saturday in late August and have a flight departing Rapid City on Wednesday. We have three days in the Black Hills. Could anyone suggest a MUST see ( Other than MT Rushmore)? We have two ten year olds. Any advice on lodging would be most appreciated.
Thank You
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 08:35 AM
J62

Here's another thread on the same topic. Nachos included.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34763723
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 09:52 AM

On the way from Cody to Black Hills I'd suggest a short detour to Devils Tower National Monument, Wyoming.

Custer State Park and Badlands National Park are a fun and interesting places to go with boys. Also in the area are Wind Cave National Park and Jewel Cave National Monument. We haven't been to Jewel caves yet.

Utahtea
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 12:19 PM

Do you know about the National Park Service's "Junior Ranger" program? As for the Junior Ranger booklet at the information date when you enter the park (not the parking structure). There may be a $1 charge. The booklet is done by age and the children must complete a certain number of things in order to get their Junior Ranger badge. You'll need to watch the movie, listen to a Ranger talk, and answer questions from the exhibits. It helps the kids focus a bit.

You may want to do Mt. R twice - once during the day and then come back again for the evening musical program and illumination.

The new "Journey" museum is getting good reviews. The Reptile Gardens may be of interest but I'm not sure they are a "must see". The Mammouth Dig museum in Hot Springs also gets good reviews. If you go, you may want to take in a cavern tour at Wind Caves National Park. Or you may want to do one at Jewel Cave National Monument in Custer. The Wildlife and Needles loops of Custer State Park are great.

We've stayed twice at the Comfort Inn in Custer. The rooms are large and there is an indoor pool. It also comes with a free breakfast.

Keystone may have more economical lodgings.

We are staying at the camper cabins at the KOA campground in Hill City - www.palmergulch.com. The campground has 2 pools, hayrides, evening western entertainment, and hayrides included in the cost. Bikes and paddleboats are available to rent.

Do your 10 year olds still like playgrounds? If so, I would recommend "Storybook Island" which is a park in Rapid City. All of th slides, swings, etc. are done to coordinate with a nursery rhyme or children's story. My kids love it but they've grown up expecting to stop as we pass through on our way to the family farm in ND.

Old Mar 15th, 2006, 02:34 PM

I would do the Badlands, Custer ( ask the Rangers right away where the animals are being spotted, they know and will guide you directly to them!)
Needles is so interesting too, they can get out and climb on the rock formations. Evans Plunge in Hot Springs can be fun too. We did a western show/dinner at a ranch and it was a highlight!

Storybook Island is cute and sweet, however I feel at 10 they wouldn't think so!

Hope this helps! Have a great trip!
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 06:24 PM

We loved the Badlands and the Crazy Horse monument and museum. Also, Wall Drug Store in Wall, SD. (it's huge and has everything from cowboy boots to buffalo burgers). There is Evans Plunge in Hot Springs, which kids love, and the Mammoth dig. Evans Plunge has it's own website if you want to check it out. It's pretty ordinary, but I think that ten years olds would love it. Good for a rainy day. Don't miss the Buffalo Bill History Center in Cody!
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 09:25 PM

I suggest staying in Custer State Park. It's a good base for anything you'd want to see in the area (a bit far to the Badlands, though). There are four "resorts" in the park. The website is custerresorts.com I'd book soon though. They fill up quickly.

Your ten year olds would probably enjoy the Safari Jeep Tour in the park and the Mammoth Site in Hot Springs.

Old Apr 21st, 2006, 09:15 AM

I live in the Black Hills and my friend has put together a website for folks looking for non-cheesy places to visit.

You can either email me, or check out the following website: http://www.blackhillsmarket.com

I'm happy to assist anyone wishing to get the most out of their Black Hills experience!

~CJ