Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Correct assumption about NY theater-distroct restaurants?

Nov 10th, 2003, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

I'm going to be in NY on a Sunday, and would like to eat somewhere near the theater district (between 42 and 50th sts). I believe that most shows are @ 1:30 and 6:30. So does it make sense that it would be easier to get a reservation and be less crowded if we want to eat at 1:30 or 6:30?

Appreciate your responses. And if you want to throw in a restaurant recommendation, appreciate that, too.
Nov 10th, 2003, 08:07 AM

I don't think you should have a problem eating at 6:30PM just about anyplace. One of my favs in that area is Firebird. Really cool Russian Aristocracy decor...excellent Russian food. It is NOT inexpensive.
Nov 10th, 2003, 08:09 AM

Most matinees are at 2 or 3 PM and most evening shows are at 8 PM (Evening shows on Sunday may be at 7 PM - I'm not sure about that). Your best bet for theatre district dining is to try for a reservation at about 7:30 - 8 PM. At that tiem the area restaurnats are clarign out as people go to the shows and you'll be able to enjoy a nice leisurely meal.

Opinions vary wildy and many restaurants are in that area. Chex Jospehine is a favorite fo some regular posters in this forum - a few of us are not as enthused about it but it does generally get very good feedback. Also popular (and disparaged by some but I had a terrific meal there) is Becco. It will be helpful if you'll post as to your desired price range, type of food preferred and your expectations (e.g. are a "foodie" and very particular or do you just want a good meal in aplcae with nice atmosphere).
Nov 10th, 2003, 09:00 AM

There are very few shows performing on Sunday evening. Therefore, you can make dinner reservations for any time in the evening. Note, however, that some restaurants (Chez Josephine, for example) are closed on Sundays.
As for matinees, most Sunday afternoon performances start at 3. However, some have 2 and 2:30 curtains. To play it safe, I would definitely make a reservation far in advance for lunch. Exactly when is another question, as the popular restaurants could have solid bookings between noon and 2:30.
Nov 10th, 2003, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. I note that the Lion King has 1:30 & 6:30 times on Sun., but there is a range of times. A 2:30 booking sounds good -- all the matinee crowd should be cleared out by then, but still too early for the evening shows.
Nov 10th, 2003, 09:43 AM

As mentioned above, some restaurants are closed on Sundays - and, some are open for Sunday Brunch (but not lunch), others are open but not until dinnertime.
Nov 10th, 2003, 10:21 AM

With only a couple shows giving Sunday evening performances, that should not impact too strongly on dinner-time crowds in the theater district restaurants.
If you make your reservations for 2:45, you should definitely have no problem.
Nov 10th, 2003, 02:58 PM

My NYC foodie advisor recommends Esca,Blue Fin, Marseillies or La Rivista. Chez Josephine and Becco are also excellent choices. Hope you have a great time! **kim***
Nov 11th, 2003, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your helpful replies, including the recommendations. I didn't list me preferences or price range because I'm open to about anything (the only food I don't like is sauerkraut!).

Have been to Becco, and liked it, but we're looking to try somewhere else -- possibly something you recommended.
Nov 11th, 2003, 05:48 AM

Just next door to Becco, which I liked, is Lattanzi, also very good Italian. I don't know about Sunday, you'd have to call.
Nov 11th, 2003, 06:04 AM

My personal fave (though not for everyone) is Carmine's on 44th and Broadway. They serve family style, so one order will be enough to serve about 3 people! The food is really good, however because of it's popularity, there is usually a long wait. (You can only make reservations if you have a party of 8 or more I believe).

If you go I highly recommend the lasagna and the chicken scarpiello (might have spelled wrong!) and if you have at least 4 people going, get the titantic for dessert! It's unbelievable!
Nov 11th, 2003, 06:18 AM

Lattanzi is indeed a good choice as is Orso on the same block. Another good one is Le Madeleine on 43rd Street, just west of 9th Avenue.
Sorry, missjanna, but Carmine's is not in the same league with the above-mentioned spots.
Nov 11th, 2003, 01:05 PM

Another vote for Le Madeleine! Great service and great food. Going back this Thanksgiving.
Nov 11th, 2003, 02:27 PM

Yes, og719, I saw that Thanksgiving menu at Le Madeleine when we were there on Sunday. It looks good and price wasn't bad at all. If anyone is looking for someplace to go on Turkey Day, I might suggest Le Madeleine.