Cooperstown trip

Old Feb 25th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cooperstown trip

I am planning a trip around June or July of this year for 5 people(4 adults, 1 child). Can anyone recommend a good hotel in the area or close to it? The major thing we are going for is the Baseball Hall of Fame. Also what is there to do for anybody who is not into seeing the Hall of Fame? My dad, myself, and my brother are interested in going but my wife and stepmother probably are not. Thanks for any assistance you can give.
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 06:31 PM

We were in Cooperstown last summer...my husband, me and two girls. Neither one likes baseball but was enamoured with the town. We also went to the Glimerglass Opera which was wonderful, even if you don't like opera. Great places to eat in town, as well. We stayed at the Meadowlark which is a bed and breakfast, but outside of town. WONDERFUL!! The Fenimore Art Museum is a must see. The Baseball Hall of Fame should be seen by everyone - it is Americana. We also ate at a wonderful restaurant for dinner that the people that owned the Meadowlark told us about. Just don't remember the name. You will have a wonderful time>>>
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 06:37 PM

A few years back, I had to research a nice hotel for our board member in Cooperstown. I ended up finding Otesaga Hotel, which is one of the hotels the Baseball Hall of Fame uses to house its VIPs. It has a lakeside view, and the people I spoke to there were very nice. I have not visited myself, but there should be reviews over in tripadvisor.com

2 alternatives I found in case the Otesaga wasn't available were the Green Apple Inn and the Tunnicliff Inn, both lakeside, and within walking distance of the Baseball Hall of Fame.

If I remember correctly from my research during that time, there are some museums nearby, and some antiquing to be done in the area.

Hope this is helpful.
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 07:51 PM

We are going to be in Coopertown in June. We have reservations at the Landmark Inn, if you are looking for a B&B. The Otesega is great, too. There are several B&B's, but there aren't too many chain hotels in town. This is a little village and they have tried very hard to keep it charming. There is a Holiday Inn outside of town, not too far.
As far as the Baseball Hall of Fame - I would urge your wife and stepmother to tour it. Our first visit several years ago, we took my mother who isn't found of the game at all. At the end of the orientation film she had tears in her eyes and thoroughly enjoyed the museum. It is about baseball, yes. But it is more about the history of the game and how it is about Americans as well. We DO mark time with baseball. And no, I watch baseball on occasion, but my husband is the baseball historian in the family.
The village of Cooperstown is famous for James Fennemore Cooper of Last of the Mohican fame. The Leatherstocking tales were based in that area. There is the Glimmerglass Opera, The Farmer's Museum, little shops along the beautiful streets, and little bistros to take lunch. Stop in at the Ommegang Brewery for Belgium beer. The Fenimore Art Museum is housed in what was the Clarke family home (from Singer sewing machine family) and offers fine art. There is so much to see and do. Cooperstown is a slow down and enjoy type of town. Enjoy!
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your advice. We have decided to stay at the 1805 Phinney House and my wife & stepmother hopefully will decide to join to visit the baseball hall of fame.
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 06:39 PM

If you like caves, Howe Caverns is nearby and is worth a trip.