Reload this Page >

Convertible or Jeep in Maui

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 10:59 AM
Matt

Should I rent a Convertible or Jeep Wrangler while in Maui? Which is more fun? Convertible too much like old people?

Might make the trip all the way around Hana.

Thanks!

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 11:17 AM
x

We always get a convertible while in Maui. It makes the drive much nicer when you can get full views. I don't think we've ever driven there with the top up either. The temps round the clock stay pretty stable so it's always warm enough to have the top down. I'm partial to the Mustang (which seems to be the most common model offered by the rental companies) because it's easy to operate. Jeeps look a bit more high maintenance because the roof has to be manually removed and reinstalled. Lots of buttoning and rearranging.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 11:25 AM
Suzie

Uh Matt you pierce my heart with the "old" reference. We like the convertible while in Hawaii as well. It's the one touch top that makes it effortless to use. Never needed the Jeep though I see lots of them there.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 11:31 AM
alex

We had a jeep and the top was defective! We tried forever to get the top up on that thing and then the bellperson noticed how incapable we looked and he came over and fought with it for another half hour and he could not get the top up either! I owned a Wrangler in the past - it is usually much easier so check before you leave the rental car place! I liked having the rental jeep but they ride a little rougher. I did not like owning one and was so glad the day I traded it in for a convertible (and I don't consider myself old!!!)!

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 11:35 AM
Dude

Don't be a tool, get a Jeep.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 11:43 AM
p.

WE had a Jeep from Alamo, 4wd tho' didn't need to use it. Fun but not too comfortable.Talked to one guy, his Wrangler was from Budget and looks like they take off the rear roof pieces as well as rear carpeting as standard. He said all the Budget Jeeps looked similar. He was trying to find the rear roof panels as it was raining hard

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 02:12 PM
Dan

I posted the same question before my trip and ended up getting a convertible. It was great. We even went to blue pool on the way to Hana (from the "Revealed" books) and we went all the way around - I highly recommend doing the road to Hana this way because you can see how different (and beautiful in its own way) the other side of the island is. DON'T BE GENTLE, IT'S A RENTAL!