Convertible in Hawaii

Search

Convertible in Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2005, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Convertible in Hawaii

This may be a stupid question but we would like to rent a convertible when we are in Hawaii but is there a convertible that is big enough for 5 adults?
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 07:19 AM

This is not a stupid question. I spent hours and hours trying to find this out last year and, at that time, there was not a convertible that could accomodate five. I had a moment of false hope when I saw that the Sebrine has a five seat belt option but it is not offered in the convertible option. The back seat is small on the Sebrine. The jeeps are strictly four seaters as are the mustang convertibles.
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 07:22 AM

I remember someone posting a trip report who rented a PT Cruiser convertible from Avis...I think it was on Maui. Not sure if it seats 5, but it might be worth checking out.
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 07:26 AM

We had the same problem with two kids and two adults... forget about it...especially with the luggage... we had prebooked a convertible on four islands and ended up paying upgrade charges of $10 - $20 per day for bigger cars... the best solution turned out to be a minivan which gave us decent views and plenty of room for everyone and the luggage, souveniers, and beach gear and coolers. Have fun!
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 08:23 AM

Forget the convertible. Unless you own a van [not easy to see around you while driving in unfamiliar and interesting places while surrounded by similiarly nearly lost tourists] rent a full size sedan. Convertibles can be hot, noisy and dirty and are a head ache to secure when your stopped at places where you'll be far from the car. Get a Cadillac or Lincoln for a comparable rate and relax and enjoy the comfort and automatic thermostatically controlled air that will cool down the heat box when you get in and eliminate the refrigerator effect once the car is cooled down. Very few locals own convertibles.
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 10:03 AM

To summarize-- NO modern convertible can comfortably handle five adults. Four? The SebrinG has one of the roomiest back seats out there and will hold four adults in relative comfort.

If you want to actually carry luggage for more than TWO people, convertibles are out. 100% out. Don't even try.
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 12:13 PM

Another option is to rent two cars, one a convertible. I have friends coming in a few weeks, two couples. At thes airport they are renting a convertible and a another small car. They plan on using the convertible when they all are going on the road, but like having the option of an second car for times when not everyone wants to be in the same place. The guys can go golf while the women shop, and each cuople is planning their own night out. My in-laws do it this way too when they come in groups.

Although, I must say that visitors seem to be managing somehow, since I see many, many groups of four tooling around in convertibles. Traveling light is possible. My MIL and FIL each manage with just a carry-on each, whether it is a week in the BI or two weeks in Spain. You don't need to bring a whole lot here--bathing suit, some shorts/skirts and slippers will do.
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 01:27 PM

I selected a Sebring convertible when I reserved a car online. MY husband who is 6'6" took one look and upgraded to a new Chrysler 300. It was the first time he had to move the seat FORWARD in a car to reach the wheel! There was easily enough room behind him for a 6' tall man. I was a little dissapointed that we didn't have the convertible, but I think it would get old very quick!My hair looked bad enough after swimming and wind without being whipped around even more!
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 02:53 PM

Hi sugar, I never have but about two years ago had two friends that did.

They said it was the biggest mistake they ever made (I think they may have been aggerating on that however). But seriously, they could not take the sun beating down on them, the heat and also the wind.

Having said that, here_today's suggestion was a good one IMHO. Renting two cars, one of them a convertable. Worth considering for sure.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 04:11 AM

here_today_gone2Maui...

Would you mine dropping me an email? I'd like to ask you a question off of this forum.
Thanks so much,
Paul
[email protected]
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, for all the good advice. It helps a lot! Now I am wondering if we should get a SUV or van. Just wondering if we would need 4WD for any off roads?
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 03:49 PM

On which island are you staying?
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

We are staying on Oahu.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 05:48 PM

Speaking of convertibles, do the hard top sedans have the moonroof/sunroof option? If there's any place that could use cars with that option, Hawaii is the place.

FWIW, my personal car has that option. I doubt I'd buy another that didn't. Almost as good as a convertible. Almost.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 06:43 PM

You wont need 4WD on Oahu. Get a minivan or Suv! the mini van is nice in that you have 2 per row of seats (well, and only 1 person in one row. In the SUV, all three adults will sit together in the second row.