Maui car rental - convertible

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2004, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious - do you think it's worth the extra money to rent a convertible when in Maui (most notably for the trip to Hana)? Or does a regular mid-size car suffice.
Old Nov 26th, 2004, 08:22 PM
gyppielou

splurge darling splurge!!!!!!!!!!! and do have the wasabi fries as a snack when you check out Hotel Hana!!!!!!!!!

Old Nov 27th, 2004, 07:32 AM

The convertible is a great idea for two, however keep in mind that you will have to deal with the heat and wind... for more than two the back seats are small and there is very limited trunk space... we had to upgrade to a larger car last august because we couldn't get the four of us and our luggage into the convertible... Also be sure to stop along the road to Hana for some Coconut Candy, a delicious treat of white coconut boiled in sugar cane syrup...its part of a roadside stand with Art shops, a BBQ place and a fruit stand...
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 07:41 AM

If there are only two of you (depending on the model of convertible available) I would definitely consdier it. And you can use the back seat to transport luggage unless you are in some sort of "roadster" which has no back seat.

Heat and wind????? Sunshine and great views??? THAT is WHY you rent a convertible in the first place IMO.
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 01:29 PM

Just beware that on the Hana Hwy you may be putting the top up and down for how often it starts and stops raining.

But other than that, and the luggage considerations, why the hell not? Just make sure to have a hat on so you don't find yourself applying aloe to a toasted scalp!

love
roxy
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 07:25 PM

It depends on when you are going. They have had a bit of rain lately. If you book through a rental car agency, bid on Priceline for a lower price after getting your reservation. I got a full size car on Priceline for the same price as an economy car directly through Alamo.
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 07:46 PM

October brought us one good thunderstorm but overall rainfall that month actually tied the historical all-time low record for rain for October, based on rainfall recorded at the airport in Kahului. November has brought us some showers, but nothing of note. They call for rain more often than we have seen it so far this Makahiki season. Some showers and rain are normal, and if you visit west Maui, the north shore or Hana-Kipahulu, expect some rain anny time of year. But never enough to discourage anyone from renting a convertible. I drive to Hana and back on a regular basis and the drive is relatively dry more often than not. A few sprinkles isn't going to make you melt--rent a convertible and enjoy the ride!
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. We're not going until April so I don't think rain will be a problem. I hadn't thought about lack of trunk space though so that's something to consider. You guys are great!
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 04:24 PM

Splurge! splurge! splurge! Who cares if it rains - get yourself a visor or a good hat; if it is hot or humid, turn on the air conditioning - with the top down.... Wheeeeee!!! I just got back and loved every minute. e-mail me if you have questions... Enjoy paradise!

Old Dec 1st, 2004, 06:26 PM

Consider also a Jeep (soft top) for your trip. When we were in Hawaii, we found some amazing vistas beyond the road to Hana... where they suggest you turn around with a rental car. This extra portion of the drive in the Jeep was one of the most memorable moments of our two weeks there. I don't think I would have been as comfortable doing that drive in a convertible. But if the choice is convertible or not...then definitely opt for the top down!!
Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 08:22 AM

By all means get the convertible!! We were there in October and going back next year. Will definitely do a topless again!! We did the Road to Hana, and put the top up for about 15 minutes while it rained. Yep-we got sunburned--but who cares??? You're in Hawaii & sunburn should be part of the deal!!! We got it through Dollar,and it was reasonable. Only once-snorkeling by LePerousse Bay, did I wish we had a Jeep. Other than that, the Sebring was what we needed!! Have a great trip!!
Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 08:50 AM

We just spent a month on Maui. We booked a sebring convertible through Alamo at an internet rate of $205 a week. When we arrived, we upgraded to a PT cruiser convertible for an extra $10 a day ( cause it looked like a fun little car.) We had to put the top up only 3 times for rain and only for a few minutes. We had the top down all month, night and day, and drove the whole Island. It was lots of fun and worth the money, with the only problem being the tiny trunk. We had all of our luggage in the back seat , which made us a little nervous about leaving the car and hiking on the road to hana. otherwise, all of our luggage was left in the condo for day trips and we didnt have to worry. We are now on Kaua'i for the remainder of our trip, and have rented a Chevy Blazer 4X4( $50 a day)so that we can do some exploring. It is roomier and more comfortable than the cruiser, and it holds all of our luggage( translates to all of my wife's shopping) Aloha, and Cheers, Al
Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 10:09 AM

Last trip we rented the ever popular sebring (seriously, there are a zillion of them all over the island!. It was nice & easy to remove the top quickly.
I rented a jeep for my first trip to maui and hated it. Was so uncomfortable- not great for the loooong trip to hana. Also, it is a real pain to take down the roof.
Enjoy your trip!