Search

Size of the back seat in a Ford Mustang Convertible

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2004, 02:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Size of the back seat in a Ford Mustang Convertible

Hi

I'm thinking about renting a Ford Mustang Convertible when I go to the USA on vacation this summer. The rental companies says that it is big enough for 4 adults. But how big is the back seat in this car? Can two adults of average size (I guess that is about 180 cm or about 6 ft) sit comfortable in the back seat?

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway
www.gardkarlsen.com
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 03:56 AM

I would say no.my husband has a mustang convertible and it is just enough for two younger children.there is not enough leg room.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 05:14 AM

They will "fit", but I don't think they will be comfortable. I'd move up a size or two in cars. Esp. if you will do a lot of driving. It will make the vacation much more enjoyable!

Have a great time!
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 05:34 AM

Whether a convertible is worth it or not depends on where you are going. If it's going to be someplace hot, I'll bet you spend more time driving with the top up and A/C on, in which case, it makes sense to rent a bigger, hardtop car. As much as I destest SUVs, that may be the most comfortable option for 4 adults.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 06:43 AM
GoTravel

You will have a hard time fitting four adults and luggage for four adults in a mustang convertable.

What about a larger convertable?

Old Jun 4th, 2004, 06:55 AM

The Mustang will barely have room for one person's luggage, let alone two. The back seat is barely adequate for children-- it's a torture chamber for adults. Another convertible found in US rental fleets, the Chrysler Sebring, has much more back seat room (disclosure: I own one), but not much more trunk space; though four adults will sit comfortably in the car (especially with the top down-- I do it all the time), only two can squeeze luggage into the trunk.

If there will be four in your party and you want the car to carry luggage as well, you'll have to rent a hardtop sedan or wagon/SUV.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 07:28 AM

Don't have an answer, but loved the title of your thread.... Reminded me of my youth...
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 08:06 AM

Is this for your NYC trip?
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 08:14 AM

We have rented the Chrysler Seabring convertible for 4 adults. It has plenty of room for adults in the back seat, was very reliable and had quite a large trunk...
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 08:24 AM

Completely agree. I have driven a Mustang for quite a while. We have a baby now, and the back seat is barely even big enough for kids with car seats. Fun to drive, yes, but get something bigger, unless you are all smaller than average.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 08:43 AM

As a college classmate who went to work for Ford used to say about his own car: "Quality is job 1. Comfort, that's job 5 or 6."

A Ford Mustang will be a tight squeeze for four adults with luggage.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 08:58 AM

If this is for a trip to New York City only, I would forego renting a car entirely. You do NOT need a car in Manhattan at all.

If you're planning to drive out of Manhattan for a day trip, by all means rent whatever you want. But for actual road trips if you have to carry luggage, a large car is required.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 09:07 AM

I am 6'1", and I owned a Mustang for 8 years (not a convertible). I sat in the back a few times, and I was completely miserable. I would not recommend this car if you plan on riding for more than 20 minutes at a time.

I also would not recommend a convertible. It's not fun to drive on a major interstate highway with the top down. The noise, heat, and exhaust will soon sour the fun of the open air. I think four adults would be much happier and comfortable in a big sedan. Or, maybe I'm just getting old and fussy.

Old Jun 4th, 2004, 09:19 AM

My husband and I sat in the backseat of a Mustang convertible for a drive around Lake Tahoe. I am not quite 5' tall and my husband is just over 5' tall. We did not have enough leg room and were quite happy to get out of the car at every vista point. I imagine an average sized adult would be very cramped.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 09:29 AM
jor

Gard, As unscientific as this might sound, if you can fit four adults in a typical car in Norway you can fit four adults in a Mustang. I have seen how small your cars are.

best wishes, and have a fun time here in America.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 10:39 AM
GoTravel

In the great words of that Ford guy, "nothing like a throaty V8 and a good sound system....".

Old Jun 4th, 2004, 10:53 AM

We rented one this spring. Two of us couldn't even put our minimal luggage into the trunk and ended up driving around with a suitcase in the backseat. The convertible Mustang is a great car, but not comfortable in the backseat and no room for luggage at all.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 07:50 PM

We rented a Mustang convertible in San Diego and it was a lot of fun - but there were only two of us and we had minimal luggage. I can;t imagine four adults would be comfortable in it. Also, I think this is one of the few places a convertible is really useful - most are IMO too hot - and you end up driving with the top up and the AC on.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 09:55 PM

Well, Hertz also told me a Toyota Corolla was a mid-sized car.

I work in a Ford dealership. Folks trade in their Mustangs when they discover a) their any-older-than-pre-school children cannot stand the back seat; b) no adult cares to climb into or sit in the back seat; c) there's insufficient trunk space; and d) cruising around in a convertible is not nearly as pleasurable as anyone thinks it will be.
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 12:52 AM
Original Poster

Hi

Thanks for all the feedback guys. This is not for the New York trip by the way. I'm going to Ohio first to visit some family and we plan to rent a car to get around...so it is not like we will be on a constant roadtrip with 4 adults...it will be my wife and I and we will most likely have a passenger or two (other family members) from time to time. We wife is not that tall and I guess she can slide the front seat forward a bit so that there will be more room in the back seat. I'm used to a small car by the way...I drive around in a Suzuki Swift (I think they are called Geo in the US).

I just dream about driving a convertible because I have never had that pleasure before. In Norway we don't really have such a great weather so people who buy convertibles don't get to drive with the top down that much. Will it really be that horrible to drive with the top down on the road?

Regards
Gard
www.gardkarlsen.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -