Convention Center Area Hotels in SF

Apr 11th, 2005, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Convention Center Area Hotels in SF

Hello
I have to attend a conference at Moscone Center in July. We get a rack rate of $165 at the Marriott San Fran, however, I am considering the Palace Hotel and some other places. I won't have a car and would like to be able to walk to nightspots. I also would like a hotel with a bit of personality and, ideally, some views. Any one have some suggestions for a hotel around $200 a night? Or should I stick with the Marriott?

Thanks!
RP
Apr 11th, 2005, 10:20 AM
SAB

Other hotels that are near (1 or 2 blocks) Moscone are the W, the Palomar, the Four Seasons. Downtown SF is not that large, for example, Union Square is 2 or 3 blocks away from Moscone (depending on which way you walk) so you could stay at a Union Square hotel or you could stay at a hotel on the Embarcadero like the Hyatt which is a short streetcar ride away. As far as a view if you stay in a high rise hotel like the Hyatt, Marriot or W I would assume they all have rooms with views on the higher floors.
Apr 11th, 2005, 10:40 AM

$165 is a very good convention rate for the Marriott!
Apr 11th, 2005, 10:49 AM

Also you may want to check if your convention has a free shuttle. If that is the case you have a few more options. Otherwise I second what SAB says.
Apr 11th, 2005, 03:40 PM

I'd suggest sticking with the Marriott.

It's one block from Moscone Center and one block the other way to Market Street, one of the central arterials of SF, where you can catch transport of your choice. You've got great restaurants within a stone's throw - Lulu's, etc.

Get a drink up high on the 33rd floor (forget the name of the bar temporarily), you will have one of the best views of SF, or just sit around the second floor near all those flowing fountains and spend all afternoon sipping and drinking and looking out at the dripping rain, the way we did one Saturday.

W is kinda sterile. Four Seasons is way too high and not a convention hotel. The suggestion of moving to the Hyatt Embarcadero - if you are inclined to move - is a good one.

Oh yeah, right across the street from the Marriott is the Metreon. Stop and watch TV on one of the Sony TV's or just do touchy-feely fun on a lot of Sony gadgets.

Have fun!
Apr 12th, 2005, 10:55 AM

We stayed in that Marriot a few weeks ago. It had good views. The service was good. The rooms size was good enough for SF. Not tons of personality, but better than many, a few nice details. Great location. For the money it was the best choice that week. The hotel workers union listed it as ok on the strike list. Never saw a picketer anywhere though. I also considered the Polomar, no sweeping view, but looked nicely decorated and same location. McLaurin
Apr 12th, 2005, 11:54 AM

I don't know the "official" name of the bar at the top of the Marriott, but locals call it the JukeBox because that's what the top of the building looks like from the outside.

It is way high - and gives me the willies everytime I've been up there (at least until the second martini hits!)

Not a bad location - but definitely no Palace Hotel (at least from the lobby standpoint).
Apr 12th, 2005, 01:03 PM

Hello: Views are very expensive, and you won't likely get one for $165. For personality, try Palomar, or other Kimpton properties. Search for the Kimpton website. That hotel chain offers personality but not tall buildings. The Hyatt, on union square has magnificent fiews. The Westin St. Francis, if you're in the tower, has a combination of personality and view. Palace: not a tall building but definitely personality. Nikko Hotel: has personality but like others, if you get the Expedia/discount rate, they probably won't assign you the good view rooms. I can answer any more questions you have.

Search this Thread