Reload this Page >

Construction at the Orchid

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2002, 05:12 PM
les

We will be on the big island from 8-1 to 8-8 with our 10 and 12 year olds. We have reservations at the Hilton Waikoloa, but after reading a lot of negative things about the Hilton in August I made reservations at the Orchid. Today they sent us a letter about construction there! Help! The Hilton, the Orchid, or choice 3???

Old May 12th, 2002, 02:56 PM
bob

I just got back from the mauna lani resort, next to the orchid. they are clearing land to build houses between the 2 resorts and there is some noise next to the orchid but it is not terrible, but with 2 kids, i think the hilton would be the place to go, disney world on the big island

Old May 12th, 2002, 09:50 PM
nanette

The Orchid is very service oriented. I have always said I could not rest as easily if my kids were at the Hilton (we usually go there one night for dinner at the Japanese restaurant for something different). I do not rest a minute at Disneyland with my kids because I just don't feel that there is safety in such numbers. At Mauna Lani, there is a more secure relaxed true Hawaiian feel which we are really lacking here on the mainland.

Just my opinion. The construction does worry me a bit. I would call and ask exactly what is involved. It is such a beautiful resort. Any of the rooms facing the pool or ocean shouldn't be affected (it seems).

Old May 13th, 2002, 10:46 AM
Marsha

We are presently staying at the Mauna Lani Terraces (condos) right next to the Mauna Lani. We can see the home building as we drive in, but hear no noise from it. We have been visiting this island for the past 12 years and have never seen tourism as low as it is now. The hotels are vitually empty. Hopefully, that will change when school close for the summer.

Old May 13th, 2002, 03:37 PM
bob

did you check out the mauna lani resort, i was just there and the construction was not an issue it is closer to the orchid. mauna lani is beautiful.

Old May 16th, 2002, 09:54 AM
cherie k

I also stayed at the Mauna Lani resort next to the orchid and it is really nice. They also have a couple of ponds filled with fish of all types, and baby sharks. you can also feed the sharks. Your children may like this.