Big Island Accomodation Suggesions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip with 3 families (6 adults and 7 kids). Looking for accomodation ideas. Considered the Hilton due to the incredible pool and activites however think the price tag will get out of control by the end of the trip. Are looking for somewhere will a nice pool (slides, etc) and on or VERY close to swimming beach. Any input appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 10:34 AM

Have you thought of renting a house with a pool? Just found these on vrbo--http://www.vrbo.com/102182, http://www.vrbo.com/39607
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 11:22 AM

This will sound obnoxious, but perhaps you should consider Maui instead of the Big Island? More hotel choices that have pools that the kids will enjoy, on the BI I think the Hilton is the only one. The place is Disneyland huge.
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 12:32 PM

I think kids really love the Hilton, and it never seems crowded to me, so while it is Disneylandish, it is still very pretty and fun to ride the boat & monorail and watch the dolphins. It is very kid friendly, but not frenetically so. http://www.hiltonwaikoloavillage.com...HWHH?WT.srch=1

You can get rooms for under $200 most of the time.

Kids also love Kona Village, which is expensive, but it includes all meals and day time activities for kids. They are offering specials now. http://www.konavillage.com/

I think that the Big Island is really special for kids because it exposes them to the volcano, the tallest mountains, the gorgeous sea life, the tsunami museum, the new space center, the seahorse breeding, the whales, tropical gardens, lava tubes, petroglyphs, lava & coral graffiti, agricultural and ecological diversity, the old paniolo (cowboy) culture, ancient villages and sacred sites, plantation towns and more.

All the islands are great, though. The Big Island, due to it's size, small population, and geological diversity, is often recommended to the more adventurous types, but it is also great for relaxing at the wonderful Kohala Coast resorts.
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 12:58 PM

From what I know and saw on the Big Island a few years ago, if you want the "pool slide" experience for your kids, Hilton Waikoloa is the place for you, and as someone above said, there's nothing else like it on the Big Island. I would think you'd get the best price ever with the economy being totally in the dumps there. (Sadly ...) That kind of resort is never inexpensive, but if that's what you want, then you have to pay for it. Good luck!
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 01:02 PM

If a pool with a slide is a prerequisite, you either have to pay the Hilton rates, or try another island.
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your input! I really appreciate.

GigiB, We did consider Maui but we have all been there so are looking for something new. We have added Kauai into the mix now realizing that our hotel expectations might not be met on BI. Does anyone know if the Hilton Waikoloa Vacation Club does rentals for the condos? Thinking that might be an option. We booked a room at the Outrigger Waipouli on Kauai as a back up.
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 11:10 AM

Last year, our family of 6 stayed at KOLEA. It's a very nice, newly built (couple years) condo complex that has A-Bay access by way of a short beach path. It's located between the Marriot Waikoloa & Hilton Waikoloa (but shares A-Bay with the Marriot). It's pricier than some of the other complexes in the area but if easy access is important to you then it might be worth it. We got a ground-floor 3 bedroom for $325/night on spring break thru vrbo.com.
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 12:40 PM

If you are willing to forgo the pool slide, consider the Outrigger Keahou Beach in Kona. It's got a pool, and is right next to one of the best snorkeling places in Kona. It's a modest hotel, but the rooms are good-sized. If you get the ocean view you will also see below you the huge shallow fish pond and the huge ancient heiau (hay-ow) or Hawaiian temple) that is being reconstructed. The last time we were there to watch the sunset from the bar with maitais we noticed that they only serve a breakfast buffet, and no other meals in the dining room. The do have a snack place down by the water, though, for lunch. I hope the economy peps up so they can start serving dinner again.