Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Considering moving to Florida... any opinions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey there! My fiance and I are 28 & 24 (respectively) and currently live in Corpus Christi, Texas. We're considering moving to Florida after August. He is an emergency room RN and my degree is basically in marine science. There really aren't any jobs here for me, and neither of us want to stay here forever (or much longer than, well, August). I know the unemployment rate is about 3% higher in Florida than here, but more jobs that involve my degree are also open there. It's not a huge deal if I can't find a job right away--he can support us pretty well on his salary right now.

We were thinking about moving to either Tampa or Miami, though more likely Tampa. Would anyone have any opinions on good (or not-so-good) areas of each city to live in? We could also consider moving a bit further out of town (Clearwater, St. Pete, etc).

Also, Florida is the same as Texas tax-wise, correct? You guys don't pay grocery taxes or state income taxes? Is there anything else we should know about moving to Florida?
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 12:59 PM

I would look into Tampa before you go to Miami, I lived in South Florida for 17 years and I now live in Seattle and I'm happy I'm gone. It got pretty depressing there in the last few years with the lack of good jobs and the housing market.For us the move has been great for our careers and our lifestyle. We felt like we got out in the nick of time. That being said if you're fiance thinks he can get a job then you might be okay. My husband is a fisheries biologist and worked with the sea turtle program in Palm Beach County so depending on what you're speciality is you might be able to find something, but don't expect it to pay much. I prefer Tampa simply because Miami is soooo crowded and has become somewhat of an armpit. You also better know how to speak spanish if you want to live there. There is no state tax there and the sales tax is low like TX. I felt the electric, insurance, etc... is way high. Even living in Seattle where the housing and sales tax is a little higher we still make out better because everything else is cheaper than in FL. You're young go for it if you think you can get jobs.
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 01:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you can stand it, you might consider Fort Lauderdale as opposed to Miami...IMO it is much nicer
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 01:09 PM

I would look for a job, first.
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Ah yes, my fiance speaks decent Spanish and I speak a little bit. We're actually both from Missouri originally, been here for about four years, but he actually speaks more Spanish than some of the Hispanics here do!

We were thinking somewhere on the Gulf Coast, since I hear they tend to have prettier water, and we were hoping for somewhere with a magnet hospital. I have already been keeping my eye open for jobs.

What sort of range in electricity bills are you guys paying? Here in Corpus it's usually about $150-250 ish, and we live in an older 1700 square foot house.
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 01:37 PM

Florida is great - I don't currently live there, but it was one of my top choices for my undergrad (Florida State in Tallahassee).
I honestly hate Miami - it's warm, and beautiful, but it's overpacked, they have serious water problems, and the bugs are disgusting. I'd choose Tampa all the way over Miami -- more inland, but a nicer environment to live in. If you don't mind moving farther south, Clearwater is my ultimate fav place in Florida to be. The oceans great, the air is nice, it's not touristy...It's just a nice place to be.
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 04:38 AM

I would look more at Jacksonville area. Great hospitals and the east coast is so much better than the gulf coast. I live south of Daytona. I don't like the gulf side at all. No taxes but we have huge unemployment and have seen property values drop in half. I would never go to Miami for so many reasons. Marineland does a lot of things with SeaWorld. They are south of St Augustine. I think this area is much more laid back and affordable.
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 08:21 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Good hospitals in the Melbourne area. http://health.usnews.com/best-hospit...y-melbourne-fl
My dad had his quad bypass at Holmes and he is still living 15 years later.
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 10:53 AM

Check out Pensacola at the very end of the panhandle- more of a southern small city in vibe, with gorgeous water and beaches, affordable housing, not too crowded, and some change in seasons.
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 12:46 PM

I like the west coast much better, so I would vote for Tampa.
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 01:43 PM

"Also, Florida is the same as Texas tax-wise, correct?"

No income tax, generally no tax on groceries (though the state's definition of "grocery" can seem odd at times - some food items are "groceries" and some aren't). Property taxes are a whole 'nother ball of wax and highly favor longtime property owners, so if you're thinking of buying property when you get here, be aware that your property taxes might be several times higher than your next-door neighbor.

RNs are actually in short supply in most parts of Florida, (there was a study released this week that predicted Florida will need 14,000 more RNs by 2015) so job prospects are good. natinwpb's point about salaries being considerably lower in Florida is true, however.
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 02:02 PM

"I honestly hate Miami - it's warm, and beautiful, but it's overpacked, they have serious water problems, and the bugs are disgusting."

Very interesting. Can someone tell me what bugs are native to Miami that haven't spread to Tampa as well?
Old Feb 25th, 2012, 03:07 AM

What you are seeing here is a lot of violently differing opinion, something that is not uncommon in Florida and makes it an interesting and frustrating and exciting place to live.

I have experience in Florida going back to the mid-1950's (pre-air conditioning).

My takes: I love Miami and wouldn't give you a nickel for the rest of the east coast of Florida or anywhere in the middle of the state or the Panhandle. I love the cosmopolitan culture and the urban excitement that some others seem to hate. As my wife says, it's like being in a foreign country except that you know how things work.
Old Feb 25th, 2012, 04:12 AM
OO

Placename has a good idea. See if you can find a job before making the move, as your fiancee will almost definitely be able to get one wherever you are able to land something. RNs are in demand, and unfortunately, people with degrees in marine science have a tougher time finding something. My daughter is one of them...with a degree from TX A&M, and although she works in the environmental field, it is not marine science. They landed in FL only because her DH took a job teaching at a college here.

Unemployment is high. Home prices are much higher than TX despite the bursting of the bubble. They live in St Pete and are struggling to get their 5 year old into a decent school through a lottery system. They want the diversity of public schools and private schools are about $20,000 a year. Elementary schools! I know that's down the road for you, but something to think about. She and her DH both grew up in TX schools, she in Plano and he in Katy. That wasn't something you ever had to give a thought to!!

Though we lived in TX for a long time, we also lived in FL during my husband's career, and got back asap after retirement. It is our lifestyle, though it is pretty much the same one you enjoy in Corpus. No state income tax is a draw for sure. I've enjoyed the times we've been to Miami, but the people who were transferred there with my husband's company, could not wait to get out, and they were people who were accustomed to urban environments. I don't think I spent enough time there to understand what they were seeing and disliking so intensely. We lived in Tampa and now St Pete for part of the year. I like both, but again....it's wherever you can find a good job, and if there are multiple possibilities by some lucky chance, then you can get picky. There are people who live in St Pete and work in Tampa, and even Sarasota, so if you find something in this area, your fiancee will have a wide range of places to choose from.

Good luck in your hunt!
Old Feb 25th, 2012, 04:15 AM

Looked at this carefully not too long ago. Personally chose Gulf Coast AL orangebeach.com one bridge terrycove.com (this
one) over to FL less property taxes great place to live low property taxes cheap condos from $40K in the area. My wife just bought a $600K place at www.villagetannin.com for $40K
Just like www.seaside.fl for 85% less.ER Nurses find good paying jobs at many local hospitals Sacred Heart and Foley top 2. Not a fan of the south too crowded expensive and BLISTERING hot in summer but down there Sarasota Longboat
Key area my fav. I will not live in mega cities.

www.zillow.com is a great site to find best real estate deals.

Happy Hunting!
Old Feb 25th, 2012, 04:24 AM

There are 3 hospitals in Gainesville which was a nice place to go to school. The area between Gainesville and Ocala is very nice. Marine science jobs might be scarce.
Old Feb 25th, 2012, 07:25 AM

Hunter's Creek and Winter Springs were the only 2 florida cities that made in onto Money magazine's latest "Best 100 Cities in Which to Live" listing. I saw "Cape Coral" listed in another publication, I think it was best places to retire.
Old Feb 25th, 2012, 09:51 AM

Cape Coral? Really? That surprises me since from what I understand, the city government has had some serious financial problems and the economic downturn hit hard there.
Old Feb 25th, 2012, 10:32 AM

Yes, Cape Coral also had the distinction a year or so ago of having the highest percentage of foreclosures anywhere in the country.
Old Feb 25th, 2012, 05:28 PM

Hunter's Creek is not really a city; it's a large sprawling neighborhood in south Orlando. I wouldn't want to live there--too many layers of HOAs. (And I live in east Orlando in a neighboorhood with an HOA.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -