Conference in Tustin Where 2 Stay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2009, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should we stay close to the conference sight or on the beach (Newport/Laguna) where I can enjoy the beach while my dh is at work? If we stay at/near the beach would his commute to Tustin be crazy? Any day trips recommended for me in the area - I will have a rental car. I like nature, scenery, museums and the sights! Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 01:49 PM

Tustin is fairly large and, because of SoCal traffic, recommendations could vary based on location. Do you know where his conference will be held?
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 04:43 PM

If you like to shop and you will be driving him to the conference in the rental you might consider one of the hotels right next to South Coast Plaza. There is a Westin that is very nice. Also a Marriott. There is a walkway over Bristol that goes to the shopping center. It would take about 15 or 20 minutes to get to Tustin from there and it is close to the beaches. If you fly into John Wayne airport it is also really close. The drive from Laguna Beach would be a pain in the neck and there are not any very beachy hotels in Newport.

If you want a feel of the local area you might enjoy Bowers Museum in nearby Santa Ana. http://www.bowers.org/index.jsp

It is close to the Artists Village area if you enjoy galleries. http://www.santaanaartsdistrict.com/

I don't think Tustin is large compared to some So Cal cities. It has an old downtown area with some cute shops and restaurants. Rutabegorz on Main is sort of a healthy casual place for lunch or dinner. If you like Japanese food there is really authentic place called Honda Ya on El Camino.

Downtown Orange is also close, very quaint with tons of antique stores near the traffic circle.

Enjoy your trip to my neck of the woods!
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 05:34 PM

wow, this post is amazing to me just because I grew up in Tustin and lived there for 30 years.

This is the first time I've seen it in a post!
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 06:02 PM

This weekend we stayed at the Cliffs Resort in Shell Beach and I was chatting with a lady from Tustin during the wine and cheese reception there. I would stay at Laguna Beach, it's a gorgeous area, even if you just go for a day trip. ***kim***
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Hi all, thanks for your replies. The conference will be Near Tustin Ranch golf course where Interstate 5 and the 261 Toll Rd meet. I hope that helps those of you familiar with that area. We plan on flying into John Wayne airport. If the drive from Laguna to the conference area will be a problem, we'll just stay out near the conference and day trip to the beaches! After the three day conference - we plan on tacking on a long weekend Sat-Mon March 14-16. Any ideas for a different place to visit (maybe along the coast) within fairly easy reach of John Wayne airport. (Actually I think we have a midday flight out so won't need to be at the airport super early.)
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 07:52 PM

Hey, Dayle, I was amazed too. I was raised in Tustin. Graduated from Tustin High in 1972. Boy, has Tustin grown since I lived there.
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 08:20 PM

Unless he has a high tolerance for traffic, I'd stay in the immediate area of the golf course. Traffic coming from the beach and going back will be a bitch.

One of the primo drives in that area is Pacific Coast Hwy from Huntington Beach to San Clemente. There's enough to see and do along that stretch to keep you busy for a very long time.

Another neat visit is Mission San Juan Capistrano, not too far south on I-5 (15 miles, maybe). It is one of the more impressive of the California coastal missions.

A drive I like is from San Juan Capistrano on Cal Hwy 74 through the Cleveland National Forest to the Lake Elsinore overlook. It will give you good views of the California coastal mountains and the view from the overlook is astounding.

I was always disappointed with the museums in Orange County but you're about equidistant between LA and San Diego. Both of those areas have a number of wonderful museums to choose from.

I hope you have a wonderful trip.
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 04:40 PM

Barb,

I graduated from Foothill in 72!

dwoodden, are you another CA refugee, make that happy escapee?

My folks still live just over the hill from the golf course. I would stay there because even though it's not summer, the drive from Laguna can be a long one.

Move down to Laguna for your long weekend! I also like the drive along the coast. Stop for a shake at the Shake Shack.

Have fun!
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 06:54 PM

I am.

I grew up in Chino. After the Air Force, I had one career in San Diego County and a second in Orange County (Laguna Niguel, Mission Viejo area.

I've been retired and moved away 5 years ago. Aside from missing friends and the beach, I don't regret it an instant. The California I moved from was a seriously different place than the one I grew up in and not for the better.
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 07:00 PM

Wow, crosstown rivals...Orange High school class of 73! I still live in the area so I get excited when I can answer someones question with "authority!" Ha!

Terri..not that we have forgotten you...it's just fun to see Fodorites that hail from "home." I thought of another hotel that is right down the street from John Wayne that I use to house our sales people who are in town for meetings etc. They tell me it is really nice and I get good prices on Expedia especially when I can book air & hotel together. It is called Ayers Hotel Suites. The price includes a full breakfast. It is at the end of the runway but I am told it is not noisy at least due to the restrictions on when planes can take off and land. I think the guys are usually up before the flights start and the cutoff is 10:30 so not a problem getting to sleep. I plugged in your dates on the hotel website and it is from $114 to $154.
http://www.ayreshotels.com/costamesa/
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

We booked near the conference to eliminate too much driving for the start of the day. I will just need to make sure my daytrips don't steal me away too long lest I forget to pick dh up! I loved the scenic drive suggestions and we'll definitely check out Laguna Beach and Mission San Juan Capistrano. Would Lake Elsinore be a good place to base for the long weekend after? We have three add'l nights before we fly out of John Wayne on a Tuesday midday. Thanks all - glad some of you locals reconnected!
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 08:14 PM

No, don't go to Lake Elsinore. There really isn't much there, mostly a suburb of Riverside. I would either stay at beach hotel at Laguna Beach or if you are up for a drive of about 90 minutes Palm Springs should be pretty nice in March.
I love to tag along on business trips with DH. It's kind of nice to do just what you feel like doing but still having company at night!
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 02:31 PM

I agree about not going to Lake Elsinore. It's the drive through the coastal mountains and the view from the Lake Elsinore overlook that are fantastic. The town of Lake Elsinore itself would be a disappointment for most people.
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 04:08 PM

I agree DON'T go to Elsinor. Uck.

Mary - you might know my BIL - Mike Klotzly? Same class as you, football and baseball jock. You might also know my second "Mom", Helen Paxman, counselor.

dwoodden - Yes, Orange County was so completely different in the 60's. A great place to grow up! I could NEVER live there now.
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 07:07 PM

Mrs Paxman I remember!!! She always seemed like a really nice lady. Now I am going to have to hunt down my annual amd look Mike up...the name doesn't ring a bell but it's been a few years...ahem...

I loved growing up in OC. Remember playing in the orange groves? Katella Avenue was a two lane street. I am still here and I don't like the crowds and traffic but when I am looking out on sunny blue skies, snowy mountain tops and I know I can drive a few miles and play in the ocean I feel lucky.
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 07:12 PM

On his off days, you can take the ferry to Catalina Island. Lovely day trip. Well worth it.

I also love Sunday Brunch at Sherman Library Gardens. Very low-key and pretty setting.
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 08:03 AM

OMG, one of my fondest memories is opening my bedroom window and smelling the orange blossoms. I used to ride my bike through the bean fields on Irvine Ranch long before the town of Irvine was developed. Ran through the hills of Mission Viejo when only the Deane Homes where there. Ahh...memories. Moved to No. CA 15 years ago. Couldn't pay us to move back.

I agree...don't go to Lake Elsinore. Palm Springs would be very nice in March. So would somewhere along the coast.
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 08:12 AM

Yes, Orange Co. was wonderful back then. Huntington Beach REALLY was Surf City, along with Newport.

Riding horses through the orange goves. Learning to drive a stick shift 65 Mustang out on the 2 lane roads.

Orange blossams!

I just remembered my BIL went to El Modena!

Mrs. Paxman is now living in MI near her son.

Old Feb 6th, 2009, 08:23 PM

I know, very off the original post, but I am an El Modena alum too... first graduating class. Yes, that ages me! When we first moved to Orange in the 60's, our house was built in what had been an orange grove. There were still orange trees around and I made orange blossom perfume (well, at least I attempted to!). It only cost $1.50 for a general admission ticket to Disneyland. In high school, local bands would play there and we'd want to hear the guys from our school. Oh, my... times have changed! How much does it cost to go to Disneyland now? And how many orange trees can you find in Orange County now