Coney Island Recommendations

Jul 6th, 2005, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Coney Island Recommendations

Hello,
Where would be the best place to stay in or around Coney Island without spending too much. Also, if i stayed in Manhattan how far would the subway ride be to get to Coney Island?
And lastly, what should expect the weather to be like late september?
Thank you in advance to anyone who advises!
Jul 6th, 2005, 02:46 PM

Coney Island, although a fun place to spend an afternoon, probably has hotels that only rent by the hour. I don't believe there are any tourist hotels in the area.

Subway from Manhattan is about an hour. Coney Island is a quick walk over to Brighton Beach which is a Russian neighborhood with great food and clubs. Well worth a visit.

Totono's in Coney Island may be the best pizza in the city - no disrespect to Grimaldi, Patsy, Johns and the rest. You also have Nathans for one great hot dog.

Late September weather is usually brilliant - daytime should be btw 70-80 F.
Jul 6th, 2005, 04:22 PM

Ditto on the no hotels near Coney Island. The closest are probably near JFK - and they're no bargain - and you would hav to rent a car to get back and forth. (Coney Island is in a strictly resdiential area - mostly moderate/downscale - it is not a tourist area - except for the beach/tacky boardwalk rides/games.)
Jul 6th, 2005, 05:42 PM

You got the lowdown from folks on Coney Island. I live in Brooklyn and usually go for a beach walk and swim every weekend. Brighton Beach is great for atmosphere-there are a few Russian Restaurants on the boardwalk. Coney Island is really crowded on the beach- but if you walk further out on Coney Island beach, on the other side of the pier, it is less crowded and a really great beach area to hang out on. The water is very nice for swimming because it is usually calm. There are no hotels in Coney Island- just large housing projects and apartments. Same with Brighton Beach- which is undergoing quite a transformation right now- most of the little ramshackle cottages and homes are being bought up and torn down. In a few years there might be a nice hotel in Brighton because the neighborhood is prime beach front location. Now, I do believe there are two motels nearby...in Sheepshead Bay and Canarsie area. If so, Sheepshead Bay is a very cool area to stay, reminds me of Fisherman's Wharf, and within walking distance to Manhattan Beach, Brighton, and Coney Island. You could also stay in downtown Brooklyn at the Marriott, with easy access to the F Train to Coney Island, and within walking distance to Smith Street- a very hip area, also Brooklyn Heights, and the Brooklyn Bridge waterfront. Brooklyn is very cool.
Jul 7th, 2005, 06:00 AM

the best recommendation for coney island is not to go there.
Jul 7th, 2005, 06:16 AM

I disagree about not going to Coney Island.

There's a great aquarium there. And the 1940's style rides and tacky games can be a hoot for the afternoon. And everyone should have a Nathan;s famous. But I can;t imagine spending more than one day.

And - if you're loking for a nice beach = there are much better places (Rockaways, Jones Beach - or the Hamptons if you want a beach vacation.)