Search

Condos on Maui

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2000, 05:14 AM
Vicki

Condos on Maui

Will be in Maui June17-24 2000. Have reserved condo at Maalaea but am seriously considering changing to one farther to the west, as the beaches seem much nicer there. I want a beachfront 2BR 2BA on a sandy beach with good safe snorkeling. Also prefer WD in unit. Also need a pool. Price range of $130-$150 a night. Need low rise, fairly small complex. I am considering Hale Mahina or Hale Kai. Has anyone been there? Any preferences or suggestions. Your opinions of Maalaea and the Makana a Kai, where I currently have reservatiions. Thanks

Old Jan 4th, 2000, 09:55 AM
Kellie

Vicki,

Sorry, I don't have an opinion on any of the places you mentioned (we stayed in Kihei in September - loved it!), but I can offer you a website you might want to check out: www.vacationspot.com. It has a huge database of condos - that's where we found ours. Hope this helps - and have a great trip!!

Old Jan 22nd, 2000, 11:37 PM
toni

Maalea is not exactly the best spot on paradise. Ok, it's not bad, but it's smack dab on the isthmus and winds can be amazing. The beaches are not expansive and you have a nice harbor ... but you wouldn't want to swim there. The local kids do some amazing boogey boarding and surfing there as the winds do strange things to the surf. It is close to all points on the isle but itself not a destination. If this is a first time ... try Kaanapali ... from the Royal Lahaina (older but comfortable) to the Westin .. it has all the price range and a very good first experience. South to Wailea is also grand ... but to stay in Maalea? ... I would change plans myself in all honesty.

Old Jan 23rd, 2000, 07:52 AM
Scott

Aloha Vicki. Scott here with www.Maui-Info.com. Toni's posting is absolutely correct. The winds enter the central portion of Maui over by Paia, are compressed between the two volcanos, rush toward Maalaea, and leave at least 5mph faster than they started. This is great for windsurfers, however a bother when they start ripping doors off condos, which occasionally happens in Maalaea. I personally prefer the Kaanapali area for my guests. Not as isolated as the south end of the island, and much more to do. See http://Maui4You.com for more "visitor information," or email me for some suggestions at [email protected].

Old Jan 24th, 2000, 01:43 PM
barb

Vicki: I wouldn't stay in Maalaea either. I just came back from Maui and stopped one day to have lunch at a Mexican restaurant there and was nearly blown off the deck. The winds are quite amazing and the beach is so, so. We stayed in Wailea which is very upscale and has gorgeous beaches at a condo in a beautiful condo development right at the end of the beachfron walkway that meanders along the beach in front of all the fabulous Wailea Hotels. We only paid $ 130.00 per night because we rented it privately from a lady who owns 4 units in the development. It was a one bedroom unit that could be separated by a doorway into two areas. The living room/ dining room area had a pull out bed and a full bathroom and the bedroom was large and also had a full bathroom. There were 4 pools including a heated beachfront pool and the grounds were incredibly beautifully landscaped. If you want information on the person renting these email me directly and I will give you here website address. Barb

Old Jan 24th, 2000, 02:40 PM
Heidi

Aloha All...

Check out the great deals at the condos
represented by Klahani Resorts..
They are all located on the west side..
Lahaina to Kahana.. ( the best side)
www.klahani.com
CHECK IT OUT...

Mahalo,
[email protected]

Old Jan 25th, 2000, 07:30 PM
Tara

Heidi,

I presume you must work for Klahani Resorts because you mention them in many of your posts? I think there are many wonderful resorts on the Wailea side, and don't really understand your constant insistence that the West side is better. The side that is best is the side that suits your personality best. What's great for one person may not be another's cup of tea at all. You should keep that in mind when you constantly criticize Wailea. In a way, you are insulting the intelligence of everyone who loves it. Because you love oranges and don't love apples doesn't mean that there's a thing wrong with apples, right? I think a travel agent who isn't objective loses her credability! I think the whole of Maui is wonderful, but MY favorite side is Wailea but I would only say it's the best for ME! Depends what you like!

Old Jan 30th, 2000, 03:03 PM
Heidi

Aloha All...

This is for Tara ( 1/25/00)
I have several reasons that as a local
resident of Maui I like the West side
better than the South side....

First we have Lahaina with all its rich history... you can pick up a map for
a self guided tour at the Lahaina Visitors Center located between the world famous Banyan Tree and The Lahaina Harbor.. it is at the Harbor where you will find the Whale Museum
aboard The Carthaginian II an old whaling ship.. Along with all the great
historic sights that are all over Lahaina there are all the great and reasonably priced shops and restaurants
that line Front St. It is also along Front St. where you will find all the best night life that Maui has to offer..
from all the bars/clubs to Warren & Annabells Magic Nightclub to the wonderful stage production show Ulalena.
Also this is where you will find the best Luau on the island at The Old Lahaina Luau...
Now we move on to Kaanapali with all pf its great resorts... The Hyatt, The Marriott, The Kaanapali Alii, The Westin, The Whaler, The Kaanapali Beach Hotel, The Shearton Maui.. all with
better prices than the resorts in Wailea. You will find world class Golf
here too. As well there is a first class
shopping center here, The Whalers Village is where you will find Gucci, Parada, Feragamo, Coach just to name a few. You will also find another great
Whale Museum here. And of course world
famous Kaanapali Beach...located on the north end of Kaanapali Beach in front
of The Sheraton Maui you will find Black Rock one of the best snorkel spots on the island...
As we keep going north we have the small communities of Honokowai, Kahana, & Napili all with condo accomodations to fit any budget.. as well as some of the best beaches and restaurants on the island. Then last but not leasts there is Kapalua... with The Ritz Carlton, The Kapalua Bay Hotel, and The Kapalua Villas. You will also find one of the most beautiful beaches in the world here.. Kapalua Bay. Lets not forget that Kapalua has some of the best Golf Courses in the world... in fact the PGA holds several major Golf Tournaments on Maui every year and they are always held in Kaanapali and Kapalua ...
So as you can see The West side has soooo much more diversity in the things it offers its visitors than Wailea does... at a much more economical price as well. I think even you can admit that now can't you.
You all now know why I like the West Side better than the south side..

Mahalo,
[email protected]

Old Jan 30th, 2000, 05:01 PM
Tara

Heidi,

I've never said that there aren't wonderful things on the West side - there are, and I always make a point of spending one day in Lahaina, and sometimes golf in Kapalua. It's true that Wailea doesn't have a "Lahaina" (with it's history) BUT it has many other wonderful things which you totally ignore. It has the restaurants, gorgeous resorts, shopping, fantastic beaches (the only one better on the West side might be Kapalua, in some eyes.) There are plenty of shopping centers around Kihei-Wailea area, with tons of affordable condos and hotels in Kihei (with fabulous Kam I, II and III beaches) if you don't want to spend quite as much as you need to in Wailea. It's true that Grand Wailea, Four Seasons and Kea Lani Hotels have higher rates than the Kaanapali Resort for the most part, but for heaven's sake, look at the difference in the hotels and their grounds! The Renaissance Wailea and Outrigger Wailea are tropical, wonderful, luxury hotels and have more reasonable rates, and to my mind, are way preferable to Kaanapali.

You always talk about shopping and nightlife. I don't think most people come to Hawaii especially for nightlife, I think it's more for what you do during the day! And I don't think people need "Rodeo Drive" type shops for most of their shopping needs either. All the resort hotels have gift shops and casual restaurants that please most travelers.

The Wailea area has fabulous golf courses, some of the best in Hawaii. Yes, West Maui is great, and I may stay at Kapalua sometime in the dead of summer because it's cooler there then. But Wailea - Kihei is not a place to just stay in your resort. It's much, much more, and you do all a dis-service when you insist otherwise. Give people the facts - let them make their own choice!