Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Cocoa Beach: still beach season in November ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning up to 1 week vacation in Cocoa Beach area across the end of this october and the beginning of november due to the Discovery Shuttle lunch on Nov 1st. My wife and the 2 kids are not very interested in this event but they would come anyway staying on the beach. Is the weather still warm enough for swimming and sunbathing or is it already cooling down ? Hotel accomodation in Cocoa Beach is already fixed but if it is too cold we could switch to Orlando area for Walt Disney World, Sea World etc.... and I would drive to Kennedy Space Center just for the event. I would appreciate your comments. Thank you !!
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 11:12 AM

You are right going to Cocoa Beach in Oct. From Sept on the locals enjoy the beach so much more because tourists thin out because kids are in school, not because it's cold. The water is warmer than you'd think, and the sun never cools down!You'll swim and sun bathe as most snowbirds do! Kennedy Space Center is an eye opener, a neat contrast to Disney. Enjoy!
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 11:45 AM

That time frame is perfect for the beach and tourist crowds will be diminished, as travel4now has correctly opined. Be sure to visit Ron Jon's and have (Sunday) lunch and maybe an airboat ride at the Lone Cabbage Fish Camp. This is "old Florida" at its best.

Old Aug 27th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

thanks a lot !!! I am coming from EU just for the launch day plus 2 days KSC admission tickets plus a few extra days to relax on the beach with the rest of the family !! Hope the launch will not rescheduled/postponed...
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 11:08 AM

itll be fine,especially if your coming from Europe--water will be at least in the 70s.Definitley do an airboat ride,the kids will love it--try and find a smaller boat,so of the big ones with 30 peope arent that good,to me.Where are you going to watch it from??Also, the Astronaut Hall Of Fame has some fun things for the kids to do--not Disney land,but .My brohter-in-law works there,and he tells me you can see the launch pretty well from there as well
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

bigbomoho

I have registered in the KSC website hoping to be random selected for the later opportunity to purchase launch tickets inside the KSC at the Causeway, which has the closest unobstructed sight of the launch pad from about 6 miles. If I am not selected (email confirmation should arrive at any time between yesterday 27th and 17th sep.) then I will drive somewhere around Titusville area along the Indian River which has the second best sight but at a longer distance and it is free of charge. Astronaut Hall Of Fame is an option, but to get tickets you have first to be selected as well, then still no guarantee of getting tickets ans they will give a 2 days timeframe for the online purchase on a first come first served basis. Same process for the KSC Visitor Comnplex, which is closer than the Causeway but there are some trees and buildings that cover the launch pad sight and you may see the shuttle only some seconds later, when already in the air. I am crossing fingers to get a positive email at any time and to make it for the online purchase before everything is sold out !!
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 02:17 PM

Ive gotten close viewing seats thru my Senators office here in ga. They get an alottment for each launch.Dont know if thats an option for you,maybe thru a friend,or maybe your US Ambassadors office in DCI also have seen a launch from a boat--there are lots of boatowners that take tourists out--the only downside is your low in the water,and wont feel the power of the launch since youre in the water,not solid ground.We watched one from the road along the water in Titusville--i reserached the highest point there,and its in the Sears Roebuck parking lot--and its free--Ive seen tickets on ebay in the past
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 12:30 AM
Original Poster

It's great for you that you have close viewing seats !!

By the way I have just received a rejection email: not selected !! bad luck !!!

Yes the Titusville area is a good option. Thanks for info about Sears parking lot. Is it south or north of Titusville ? How far ? I was just wondering where the best spot is located in Titusville
Nov 1st is also my birthday and I am going to come anyway. That's is the present to myself !!
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 05:50 AM

its South heres a link http://www.mapquest.com/listings/Sea...esults_org_map
Theres also a good viewing point where the bridge from Titusveiile connects to the Cape,but it gets pretty crowded.All the viewing points are around 6 miles from the actual launch --bring 10X50 binoculars and itll look pretty close
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 11:45 AM

Fabio, I've posted this link about a billion times, but it's still the best list of launch viewing sites: http://www.launchphotography.com/Shu...h_Viewing.html

Read the section entitled: Titusville is the Next Best Place and that will tell you what you need to know.

In any case, get there very, very, very early. These last launches will be incredibly crowded. It was absolutely jammed around here at the last launch.
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 11:28 PM
Original Poster

bigbomoho

thanks !! I will also have a tripod for the 40x optical zoom camcorder and a 18x optical zoom camera. I will try to get the best out of both of them !!

321go

your link was already in my favourites thanks to your previous postings ! I just have to pick one of those spots around Titusville. Are they more or less at the same distances from pad 39a ? or do you have a preferred one ? I am going to be there at 7am for the 4:40pm launch. Hope it is enough !
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 05:49 AM

you got me interested in going--im going to try and score from tickets, if not look for a big blue pickup truck in the Sears lot--
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 07:06 AM

I like Spaceview Park the best, but you'll get pretty much the same view at any of the viewing areas along the river in Titusville. Bring something to drink and use sunscreen (I can't emphasize that enough - even in November being in the sun for several hours can turn you lobster red!). There's not a lot to do while you're waiting for the launch other than talk to people - which can be interesting since you'll meet people from all over the world - so think about bringing a book or a deck of cards or an Ipod.
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 08:08 AM

321go---cah you tailgate there,ie cook
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

thank you both. !!

321go thanks for info ! will you be there as well ?
bigbomoho do I have to pay for a fee at Sears parking lot ?
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 11:46 AM

not last time--2 years ago.If youre looking for a nice place to stay,we stay at the Hampton in right off I95 at the titusville exit.And if youre looking for a little swamp fun, theres airboat rides not far from the hotel.There are cheaperplaces,but there mostly older spots
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 01:20 PM

No, I won't be there; I avoid Titusville on launch days because of all the traffic and crowds. Usually I just watch launches from the front door of my office or standing in the street in front of my house.

I can't recall seeing anyone cooking at Spaceview, but I've certainly seen people having picnics there. I think the only rules I've seen posted have had to do with drinking alcohol.

Be prepared for very heavy traffic after the launch. Everyone tries to leave at once!
Old Aug 30th, 2010, 08:57 AM

fabio--well got a hotel on the water at Cocoa--the Intl Palms Resort--$223/nt--- hers a link

http://www.internationalpalms.com/
Old Aug 30th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

thanks I will check it carefully !!!