Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Good Beach to go to? We are staying in Disney.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2003, 08:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and our 3 children (7,11,13) are going to Florida in early June. We plan to spend 4 days in Disney, and go to a beach on one day. We are staying in Disney's Port Orleans Riverside Resort....we like the idea of not having to drive anywhere on our "Disney" days! What would be a good beach to go to? Kids and I love to swim, etc. but hubby is not a "water person"...he would probaby sit on the beach and watch us but I would like him to enjoy himself! He likes to fish...Any opinions from anyone who knows Florida would be helpful. This is our first trip there.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 08:07 AM
GoTravel

Daytona would probably be the closest beach. Either that or one of the Tampa/St.Pete beaches.

Old Feb 12th, 2003, 08:24 AM

Disney has a resort in Vero Beach, a beautiful beach area. You will be there in turtle season, and if you go on the beach after 10 pm (bring bug repellent but no flashlights) you will almost certainly see a mama turtle laying her eggs. There are so many they don't even mark the nesting spots. Your kids would love it. Perhaps you could trade your night at Port Orleans with the Vero place?

Also, there's an inlet there, Sebastian Inlet, with great surf casting, and Indian River is where the inlet leads, another well known fishing area. Maybe the resort (nearby) would loan you gear? Have fun!
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 08:44 AM
GoTravel

Wouldn't Vero Beach be too far for a one day drive? I think the OP is only going for the day.

Old Feb 12th, 2003, 08:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cocoa Beach is the closest beach. It is sort of honky tonk, but would be fun for a day (big surf shops, lots of restaurants, arcades). About 10 miles south is Indialantic which has a very nice beach and a small boardwalk area. To the north, and good for fishing, I think, is Jetty Park.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 09:10 AM

Actually, you're right, GoTravel. Just checked: Cocoa is 60 miles, Daytona 80, Vero 100. So if the OP is going for the day, it's definitely Cocoa! (Kennedy Space Center is right there too but that's probably too much after Disney?)
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 09:23 PM

New Smyrna Beach. Great sand, big beach, safe and only 60-70 miles from Orlando. Quieter than Cocoa and Daytona.
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 10:28 PM

Cocoa Beach! Your kids are perfect ages for visiting Kennedy Space Center - we were very impressed with the place!