Search

Comments on Santa Fe/Taos itinerary in Nov 2006

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2006, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comments on Santa Fe/Taos itinerary in Nov 2006

Hi!

Thanks to suggestions from Maria and everybody else, we have arrived at a tentative itinerary for our Santa Fe/Taos trip during Thanksgiving 2006. Any comments / suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We also have a few questions for which we are looking forward to receive answers from u (as always This is the first time we are travelling to New Mexico...so please let us know if the plan looks ok....(We have only 4 days and we are trying to see what best we can do in Santa Fe and Taos)

Day 1 - Drive from ABQ to Santa fe (we are planning to take the Turquoise trail....what are the must dos along this trail?? How long will the drive take??)

Day 2 - Drive to Taos. We are planning to ski and spend the evening in the town. (Again, please let us know if there are any must dos)

Day 3 - Visit the Taos Pueblo and drive back to Santa Fe thru the high road and visit Cordova and Chimaya en route. (Are there any other towns which are equally good along this route??)

Day 4 - Spend in Santa Fe. We are thinking of visiting the ghost ranch. (Is it a better idea to stay back in Santa Fe or visit the Bandalier natonal monument instead?)

Day 5 - fly back home..

As always, thank you very much for ur time and effort!!

Old May 7th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, the smiley should have been ....

i realised it after posting the message......
Old May 7th, 2006, 06:44 PM

Here is a link I used when we visited the area you might find useful in choosing stops along the way of both routes.

http://tinyurl.com/f8zmr

We loved Bandelier and felt it worth the trip.

As far as exact times, you can check on mapquest or the above link, but it all depends on how often you stop for visiting attractions, taking photos, perhaps having lunch, whether you want it to be a casual trip of 1-2 hours or even more.
Old May 7th, 2006, 07:15 PM

Without stops, Albuquerque to Santa Fe will take about 90 minutes via the Turquoise Trail.

I don't think Tinkertown Museum will be open at Thanksgiving, but if it is, it's worth a stop - a quirky little museum full of cool animated carved displays, all done by the late Ross Ward "while you were watching TV." You can Google their website.

Take some time to stop in Madrid, and make sure you pronounce it MAD-rid. Have a bite to eat at the Mine Shaft Tavern, visit the galleries, have some ice cream at the drug store.

You are spending very little time in Santa Fe, so I would skip Bandelier and Abiquiu and spend day 4 in town. Walk around, visit the cathedral, go to galleries or museums...there's a lot to do.

Enjoy your visit to our fair state!

Lee Ann

Old May 8th, 2006, 05:12 AM

Will there be enough snow to ski in Nov.? Taos didn't have a great snow year this past year. We had planned to go for Xmas and cancelled because a lot of the terrain wasn't open due to lack of snow. I know Taos makes snow on some of the greens and blues.
Old May 8th, 2006, 05:26 AM

NJwanderer - looks like a lot of driving to me! What time does your flight arrive on day 1? and what time does it leave? Personally, I would spend a little more time in Santa Fe as Lee Ann suggested.

If your flight is arriving later in the day, I would go right to Santa Fe and do some exploring. The turquoise Trail is nice, but if I had to pick between spending time in Santa Fe or doing that, Santa Fe would win hands down. However, if you're arriving early and can do both, all the better. Madrid is definitely the highlight of this route. Here's more info: http://www.turquoisetrail.org/

Another thing to consider is the altitude. Both Santa Fe and Taos are around 7,000 ft. above sea level, with many of the peaks in Taos around 10-12,000. If you are not used to this altitude, you may want to spend your first day just relaxing around town instead of skiing. Sometimes it affects people, other times not so much. (I've also heard 1 drink = 3 drinks if you're not used to the altitude!)

Also, be sure to call the Taos Pueblo before visiting. Because they are a private community, they sometimes close in the winter for a day or longer. Here's their site:
http://www.taospueblo.com/

Padams brought up another good point about the snow. (or lack of it)

I would skip Bandelier and Abiquiu on this trip and spend the time in Santa Fe. Remember, you can always go back!

Have a great time visiting my favorite place!

Heidi
Old May 8th, 2006, 06:50 AM

there's snow for thanksgiving last year. they made snow to help it along but njwanderer and his wife has never skiied (sp?) before. we were new skiers last year also and this trip was especially good because it was inexpensive to ski at taos and there are not alot of people so you can really monopolize your instructor's time - something that would be really expensive otherwise.

yes, tinkertown is usually closed during thanksgiving but sandia crest a little further up is still a nice stop with marvelous views of albuquerque and the sangre de christo mountains. Most of the turquoise trail is "closed" except for sandia crest and madrid. So yes, go through the turquoise trail but it will be faster than any other time normally. Still a beautiful route though so you will still like it.

anyway, let us know times so we can help with the itinerary. I do this yearly trip during thanksgiving and can tell you which places have been open or not and what we've done to accomodate for some places being closed.
Old May 8th, 2006, 08:37 AM

Hmmm,

Ok, here's what I suggest.

You didn't mention how late you are arriving on the 22nd but if it's early enough, go check out old town albuquerque and perhaps have dinner there then check in at your hotel and get some rest so you can get started first thing in the morning. If you are early enough, you can do bits of the turquoise trail and abiqui on that first day.

Day 1: quick b-fast and a quick stop to get items for a picnic lunch then head to santa fe via the turquoise trail. As mentioned before, most of the stops on this trail will be sleepy little towns because of thanksgiving so the stops that we have done in the past are sandia crest and madrid. The latter being my favorite although both offer different things. At Sandia Crest there is a little trail loop you can take so good small excercise for the morning. Depending on what's open at Madrid that early, try the mine shaft and browse through galleries. I would imagine you will be in santa fe no later than 11am or noon (depending on the length of the stops). Aim to be in SF area by noon in any case. Because most places will be closed in SF that day, instead of getting off the freeway to go to SF, head north on US84 past espanola to abiqui country. Stop at places like abiqui village, echo ampithater, abiqui lake, then the monastery of christ to the desert. This last one an unpaved road that travels along a river for about 15 miles and ends up at the monastery. There is a spot soon after that road that you can stop and have your lunch picnic then go visit the monastery. There are hiking opportunities there but I would reserve it for ghost ranch on your way back and do one of their trails there. For directions to these places, go to this link and scroll to the bottom for more information and for directions. http://www.digitalabiquiu.com/pages/tours/tours.html

If you want to see the christmas tree lighting, aim to be back at SF by 5pm but even if you miss it, the luminarias will be lining the plaza streets and is really pretty. For dinner, make early reservations (I mean call at least a month before you go) since not all the restaurants will be open so to get your preferred time, call ahead of time. We've had consistently good food for thanksgiving at cayote cafe but I believe there are other places open for dinner also, although most are only open until 9 or 9:30. I do believe they have vegetarian dishes there as well.

Day 2: Spend most of the morning in SF, having lunch at Pasqual's (again, I believe they have vegetarian fare) then after lunch, take the high road to Taos. Again, because of the holidays, most of these little towns are closed but you still should take this route because the scenery is spectacular. You will find yourself driving from desert areas to alpine scenes. Quite dramatic. So this route which on normal times of the year may take a while to drive and "discover", would take you ledd time. When you get to taos, depending on what time, go visit the taos pueblo (call ahead t make sure they are open on your estimated time of arrival). Suggest Taos Inn (www.taosinn.com) for where to stay. It is in the middle of everything, a hop skip and a jump from the plaza and is also the town's watering hole with live music in their bar area most night. It's also a nice spot to just hang out by the fire and sample their delicious appetizers. You should try their green vegetarian chile soup. Very yummy. For dinner, oneof my favorite meals ever was at Joseph's table (but doc martin's at taos inn is pretty good too).

Day 3: Check ahead of time to make sure Taos ski valley is open saturday (it should be) and head out there (stopping for breakfast at taos diner - where the locals eat). Ski for as long as you want but leave in time to go by the gorge bridge. It's a sight to see. From here, instead of staying at taos, I would head after skiing to ojo caliente and stay the night (www.ojocalientaspa.com). reserve one of their private pools and enjoy the stars as you soak in the mineral pools. It's quite nice. The temperature outside will be quite cold but they build a fire for you in the kiva fireplace in your private pool and you are left to look at rock sides and stars so bright.

Day:4 Do a few early morning soaks in the general pools and head out to Bandelier Ntl Monument and do the loop trail, stopping to go in to some of the cave dwellings. Head back to SF and explore the town some more, checking out canyon road with all the galleries. Nice dinner, etc.

Day 5: Nice breakfast in SF then head back to ABQ via hwy in time for your 11am flight.

Sorry for the length and the details. I hope i didn't miss anything. I know it sounds rushed with the amount of time you have and all you want to see, this is what I thought was best to recommend. AND, it's very doable because during the holidays, you have less things to "check out".

We'll be in SF for 21, 22, and 23 then taos on 24, 25, and 26. Maybe we'll bump into each other!

I hope you have a great time. Let us know how you find NM. I'm sure it will enchant you as much as it did us. Happy Travels!
Old May 8th, 2006, 09:25 AM

oi. it didn't take any of my edits!!!!

Ok so here are the edits I made that didn't get included:

Day 1: I wanted to say that if you planned to do any hikes in ghost ranch, more and likely you will miss the christmas tree lighting and although it's fun (the have a mini show at the plaza with hot cocoa, etc.), somehow watching sunset at chimney rock means it's ok to miss it - but it's up to you obviously.

Also, I meant to say that soon after you get on that unpaved road to the monastery of Christ in the desert, you will see a stop by the river where you can have a picnic. Last year, we met a couolke with their daughter there and we spent alot of that time skipping rocks in the water, teaching her how to do it. It's so tranquil there.

Day3: I wanted to add that if you didn't make it in time to see the taos pueblo on day 2, make an effort to see it today. it is really worth it. take a tour from one of the american indians that do the tour.

Also wanted to say that the mineral pools soaking will help your tired muscles from the skiing you just did. Trust me, introduction to skiing not only introduces you to a new sport but also to muscles you didn't even know you had!

And in general, wanted to point out the native american indian peddlers at the town plazas (ABQ, SF, and Taos) with their silver and turquoise jewelry and general wares. Can be fun to browse through.

Make sure you have enough memory on your digital camera and/or film! Happy trails!
Old May 8th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Hi Maria,

Thanks for all the information u have provided!! We are overwhelmed!!
Can u please let us know if there are any good sites from where we can book our flights/hotels?
Any suggestions for hotels in Santa Fe, Taos, ABQ?

Thanks a ton!!
Old May 8th, 2006, 12:14 PM

Hi njwanderer,

Sorry for the immense amount of info but it's a pretty good scedule. I'm notorious for fast and furious long weekends that are unforgettable in my group of friends but it seemed like you and your wife wanted something similar for this trip. I hope I was right.

My ideas for hotels are the following.

Santa Fe hotels are more expensive anywhere else, which is why I thought too that it was a good idea you fly in and stay in ABQ. If you get in early enough, you can check out old town which to me, at that time besides petroglyph ntl monumnet is the most I would see in ABQ (nothing against ABQ, just like the northern town better). It's also more of a proper city. So I suggest you save a little here and just get a run of the mill chain hotel to your liking. I think the only time I did stay at ABQ, we stayed at one of the hilton hotels near the intersection of I25 and I-40. In any case, this is the night you can save some money on a hotel since there are plenty to choose from.

For Santa Fe, The Hilton is a good deal at the moment for $134 (if you pay in advance) or $149. It's walking distance to the plaza, shops, restaurants. I never did get to stay there (we stayed at the El Dorado but wish we stayed with Hilton instead).

For Taos, definitely the taos Inn. www.taosinn.com

For ojocalienta, the spa itself has rooms. I suggest stay the night there. www.ojocalientespa.com

Others have posted good links here for you but add www.santafe.org and www.taos.org

A hint on the flights. It is currently too early to book for November. The major airlines will have some available but most of the flights are not posted until 3 months or so before. At that time, the selection increases and therefore prices. At least that's what I've found coming from Houston.

I looked up some for you - norwest has some available now for only $343+ but that is one stop over. I suspect in the next following months it will go cheaper - but not too close to November, of course.

hope that helps!
Old May 8th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Hi Maria,

Thanks a lot for all the information!! We are hoping to meet u in Santa Fe!! ur plan is definitely much better than ours and we are going to go per ur plan!! Thanks a ton!!

For the flights, u have mentioned that as the choice increases (may be a month from now), prices increase. Currently, we have found American Airlines flights whose timings we are ok with (we would have liked it if the flight we should be taking from ABQ is a little later...right now it is at 1:35 pm.) If prices would increase with time (and with selection, as u have mentioned), we would rather book this american airlines flight that i am talking abt.... We would not like to pay more than the $300-350 range it is currently at.

Would you recommend booking flights now? (of course, we can do the hotels / car rentals only after that...)

Thanks a lot for all the help!!

PS: Without intruding into your holiday, my wife and I would love to meet u and thank u in person...will it be ok with u? if yes, do u know how we can send u our contact information?

Thanks!!
Old May 8th, 2006, 06:13 PM

Hey njwanderer! Excellent news! Well, the cheapest tickets we get from Houston are about $200 but that's really half of your flight itinerary. Currently Northwest's cheapest flights are going for $340 - but of course I don't know all the details - was pulling it out of newark, etc. I would say if you can get it for $300+, that sounds like a good deal.

We'll be in Santa Fe on 11/21, 22, &23. We'll be staying at casitas ( a first for us) so yes. We would love to meet you too. I imagine the 23rd would be the only time. Maybe we can meet out for drinks after your dinner? You can email me at [email protected].

You can also email other questions to me there if you like.

I hope you'll love it. I'm sure you will.
Old May 8th, 2006, 06:17 PM

Spend a night in Casa Gallina...awesome spot (place to stay) in Taos...owner, RIchard, is a masseuse...gives the BEST massages...Make an appt. It will be a highlight!!

TC
Old May 8th, 2006, 06:37 PM

just realixed, if not the 23rd in santa fe, if you follow my itinerary fo ryou, then we will be in taos at the same time. We can meet there too.

Anyway, email if you have any specific questions. The off road to the monastery is a bit vague (Paul disagrees with me) but I'm looking for that brochure now. In any case, we didn't know about it until we got to the Old Spanish Trail museum so I imagine the directions from the site are better. In anycase, I'll look for the brochure if I still have it and post it so you won't miss it. It's a really nice side trip. Echo ampitheater is fun also. When we got there last year, there was a violinist that was doing some pieces ( a yound girl with her grandparents) and it was so lovely echoing back to meet up as we walked up the trail.

We had sunny days this past year, snowy and cloudy on other years before that. You never know. In either case, it's lovely there.

I'm so excited for you both. You are in for such a treat!
Old May 9th, 2006, 11:14 AM

As info, on flights, we booked a month ahead and paid $225 from Omaha to Albuquerque. There were three different carriers in that price range. This was an amazing price and Omaha is an obscure airport, so you can probably do as well even with fuel prices going up.

Only four more days for us and we will be there! Yippee!
Old May 9th, 2006, 12:16 PM

Wow, great price! But it may be a bit difficult since NJ is farther and it's for the busiest travelling season. Houston to NY, cheapest I found ws $303 one time but that's also more airport choices so it may be that NJ to ABQ's lowest is around $300. Anyone else from the east coast that has travelled to ABQ?

Anyway, have fun BellaD. Remember to post a trip report after.

Old May 9th, 2006, 12:20 PM

We flew from JFK to ABQ last Thanksgiving on Delta. We connected through Atlanta. I think the tickets were about $400.

My sister lives in ABQ and comes to JFK several times a year, usually on AA flying through DFW. Her flights are usually between $228 (cheapest) to about $350.
Old May 13th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

TTT

Are there any sites that we can look at for good deals on flights/hotels?

Thanks!!
Old May 13th, 2006, 05:16 PM

Try Travelocity or Priceline; if you use Priceline, spend some time at Bidding for Travel first to get a handle on Priceline bidding.

Where are you coming from? Southwest has lots of flights into Albuquerque from all over the country, and their rates are good.

Lee Ann