Search

coming to boston

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2008, 02:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coming to boston

we will be in boston from the uk for 4 days in early september can any one help with a list to do and see it would be a great help so we do not waist time seeing things that do not matter we are staying at the bartrams inn many thanks peter
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 02:44 AM

We have posts on this board every day about Boston; why not check those first and then get back to us with specifics about what you enjoy: Museums, history, science, nature, shopping, etc. Since you can't see everything in 4 days, we need to help you figure out the "things that do not matter" to you. We'll be glad to put together an itinerary based on your special interests.

Also, I've never heard of Bartram's Inn and neither has Google; where is it?
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 03:05 AM

Welcome! It is ordinarily a lovely time to visit with good weather.

As Anonymous has posted, there are many messages about Boston attractions, as well as what you find in guidebooks. Look at these with your interests in mind. When you have a list of "possibles", we can help you prioritize your choices. It will be helpful to know the ages of your party.

I am also not familiar with your lodging and its location, and that would be helpful in determining what will be easy for you to see and do.

Generally, busses and subways are excellent in Boston and traffic and parking is difficult, so you will not want a car. Food and shopping are available in every variety and will seem incredibly inexpensive to you. Let us know your preferences.

The only barrier in early September is that our many universities are beginning their terms, and students will be an even greater presence than usual as they move into accomodation and learn their own way around the city.
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

hi Anonymous sorry the name of inn is BERTRAM BROOKLINE we are looking to see old boston, special sites of historical intrest as well as english involment , good places to eat that will not break the bank, and some jazz for 65 year olds bit of shopping like our covent gardens london not just big shops .many thanks looking forward to hearing from you peter
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 06:00 AM

Take the Freedom Trail tour, it's free, given by the Parks department, and is excellent.

For Shopping, check out Newbury Street. Lots of smaller shops, cafes and some restaurants.
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 06:30 AM

Another shopping avenue you'd probably enjoy is Charles street, along the base of Beacon Hill. Old downtown Boston is very compact, so if you have a good map you can probably plan out a route that includes several of your interests. Don't miss King's Chapel. Unfortunately, many places of interest to pre-Revolutionary history are now commemorated only by plaques on newer buildings.

In addition to the Freedom Trail, you'd probably enjoy the Shirley-Eustis House in Roxbury, home to two of our Colonial British governors, and the Harrison Gray Otis house on Cambridge Street. You can look up other preserved historic properties at http://www.historicnewengland.org/visit/homes/ Several of the properties are in Boston (including the Dorchester section) and others are accessible by public transit.

If you have a car, visit the Fairbanks House in Dedham, the oldest timber-frame building in North America. Every town within 20 miles of Boston has a couple of ancient preserved historic homes, such as the Suffolk Resolves House in Milton, Adams birthplaces in Quincy and Weymouth, and original and re-created Colonial-era stuff in Plymouth, which features a newly-renovated museum of the early settlers. The towns of Lexington and Concord have made a minor industry out of Revolutionary-era locales and events. Salem has made an industry out of colonial-era witch trials.

http://www.pilgrimhall.org/
http://www.plimothplantation.org/

That inn looks just lovely, please come back and tell us about it after your visit!
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 06:31 AM

Another fun thing is either the Duck Tour, or trolley tours - kind of jump on/jump off - lots of history (sorry, but they probably don't speak well of the British , and you see alot of Boston and determine what looks interesting. Some of the old graveyards . Look on their websites and you can see all the locations they hit, and where you can pick them up. I think you are there at a good time - and if schedules work out, try for a baseball game - Boston Red Sox, really neat stadium.....
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 02:23 PM

The Freedom Trail is an especially good choice. You actually don't need to take a tour if you don't want to -- it's pretty clearly marked.

Will second the Otis House Museum and also suggest the Nichols and Gibson House Museums in Boston and the Longfellow House Museum in Cambridge.

Have never been to the Shirley-Eustis House, but note that the area where it's located is dicey -- I'd take a cab to and from there if you decide to go.

Note that hours for all these houses can be short -- check online for more info.
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 02:35 PM

Hi Peter, I'll join in with Debi on a vote for the "Duck Boat" tour. You buy your ticket and get on at The Prudential Center.

The duck boat is a WWII land/amphibious boat. You go around old Boston with a live guide commentary on the history of Boston and stories behind the historical buildings, then you splash into the Charles River for a great view of Boston from the water.

I'm a NE local and still found it a fun and educational way to get around Boston without having to drive, trying to look at the sites, and then getting lost. Great photo oppportunities too.

Plus on the boat you're quite high up so your vantage point is much better than from street level.

Hope you fit this into your visit.
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 04:03 PM

The Freedom Trail is a must. You can eat great Italian foodin the North End. Also, take the Red Line on the subway to Harvard Square in Cambridge. Walking around the square and Harvard University is fun. For museums, the Museum of Fina Art is very good and the Isabella Gardner Museum is well worth the time.

Downtown, a very nice walk is wandering around Beacon Hill and the Public garden and Boston Common. This is near/part of the Freedom Trail so you can do the FT, eat lunch and then wander BH etc.
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 02:28 AM
Original Poster

to all who replied i say a big thankyou i will do as much as i can to what you have all said over my 4 days in boston again many thanks peter
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 04:52 AM

In addition to walking the Freedom Trail in Boston, I recommend exploring the Beacon Hill neighborhood. The Black Heritage Trail and Museum of African American History are interesting
http://www.afroammuseum.org/index.htm

Cambridge is also very easy to visit by public transit
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 12:57 PM

http://www.boston.com

http://www.bostonusa.com/