Colorado Trip Report

Search

Colorado Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2005, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Colorado Trip Report

Well, here it is: my brief trip report to Colorado in July 2005. Much information was obtained from this board to I hope this is a "give back".

Day 1: Arrived at noon in Denver. Temp 96. Rented car from Alamo who suggested that we should have a 6 cylinder car instead of the 4 cylinder car we had reserved. Good idea for the mountain roads we traveled. Drove to Golden. Had lunch at the Table Mountain Inn. Good food and the BEST Margarita of the entire trip. Next took the scenic loop drive to the top of Lookout Mountain. Visited Buffalo Bills grave and the museum there. Was an interesting slice of Americana. Then drove to the Evergreen Quality Suites. Nice motel

As for the altitude change, I only had the sense of sluggishness while walking around Lookout Mountain. Could have also been heat related.

Day 2 Visited the Dinosaur Ridge to view a few Dinosaur tracks, also visited the Red Rock Theater built into the side of a red rock formation. Then onto route 285 to Fairplay. Visited the South Park City--a group of building from the surrounding former gold mines. The display was very well done and certainly gave a good idea of life in the late 1800s. Then onto Gunnison where it was raining. Not much in Gunnison, stayed at a Super 8 and eat at a Brewery.

Day 3 Left Gunnison early and made our way to the Curicanti Recreation area after signing up for the Morrow Point Boat Trip along the Gunnison River Canyon. This was a nice trip but one has to be in good shape to go down (and up) 232 steps and along about 1/2 mile along the river bank. Be sure to sign up at the Visitor Center before going to the path to the boat--no signing up there. It costs about $16 and lasts about 1 1/2 hours on the boat.
After the boat trip, it was a trip across a derest scape and about 95 again to view the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Nice view from on top of the canyon this time. Then on to Ouray for the evening. Stayed at the Comfort Inn, Ate at Outlaws which was just okay and a bit over priced.

Day 4 Left Ouray and started on the Million Dollar Highway 550. Shortly out of town and just before the summit of Red Mountain we took a 1/3 mile walk in to the remains of the mining town of Red Mountain Town. Not much remains of the 400 people town that was there but the wildflowers in the area were stunning and the mountains beautiful. Drove on to Silverton, ate lunch at Handlebars--a good and popular restaurant in the middle of town.

We had picked up info from the Visitor Center there on the trip to Anamas Fork "ghost town" We did not have 4 wheel drive but were told that we could make the trip if we drove carefully. WELL, the road out of town was pave for 2 miles, then became a two lane dirt road for about 3 miles and then became a one lane dirt road winding up the side of the mountain for the last 3 miles. If we met another car we would have to find a wide place in the road to pull over so we had to keep looking far ahead in case a car was coming. The raod was driveable with caution. Once in the ghost town there were alot of people that had come up there for the day for picnics and ATV driving. The area had stunning views and more wildflowers. This trip was my favorite of the things we did on whole trip.

After Anamas Forks we drove onto Durango where it started to rain. Rained most of the evening. Stayed at the Best Western Durango Inn.

Day 5. Left early for Mesa Verde. Stopped at the Visitor Center there to purchase tickets for the Ranger led trip to the three Indian pueblo ruins down the side of the cliffs. First went to Long House and took the trip down the hill to the ruin. It was HOT going down but the ruins were cool. It took about 1 1/2 hours all told. Then had lunch and went to the second ruin, Crystal Palace, not as long a hike down but a adder or two up to the ruin. Getting HOTTER. Next and last trip was to Balcony House. Was about 104. This ruin had two or three 30 foot ladders to climb, a tunnel to crawl through and a chain ladder to climb. By the end of the three trips we were pooped! Went to the Far View Lodge to check in. The room had a nice view from the little deck but there was no air conditioning unless you call leaving the front door and the back door open for any breeze. The hubby wouldn't allow the front door open while we slept at night so it was haot until about 3am. We ate dinner at the Metate Restaurant at Far View. That was good and had AC.

Day 6 We were going to stay at Cortez this day but since we had done all the things at Mesa Verde yesterday we decided to go back into the mountains seeking something cooler. We decided to go to Telluride. A good choice. It was only about 82 there. A nice town. We stayed at the Ice House Hotel which was also nice. We took the gondola over the mountain to Mountain Village and had lunch there looking at the wonderful mountain views. We took an evening walk along the creek that runs through Telluride, quite pleasant.

Day 7 Drove today to Moab. 104 degrees. Arrived about 1130 looking for lunch. Ate at the Jail House Cafe which only does breakfast (closes at 12 noon). Definately a good find for omelets. Checked into the Holiday Inn Express. Then drove to Arches NP for the afternoon. HOT< HOT< HOT> We did manage to take the short walk to the various view points. But no evening hike to Fiery Furnace.

Day 8 Still stayed at Moab. went to Dead House Point State Park for the view. Then went on to Canyonlands NP to check out the views which were spectacular. Was now 108!

Back at the motel we made reservations for the boat trip on the Colorado River that evening. It was a trip offered by the Canylonlands by Day and Night Tour Company. It included a chuckwagon BBQ dinner before a trip in the evening up the river and then a "light" show with the canyon cliff lite up. It was a nice way to spend the evening and somewhat cooler on the river.

Day 9 Last day! Drove to Grand Junction via route 128, a spectacular drive along the Colorado River. We took a side trip to Colorado National Monument near Grand Junction. It was another rock canyon drive--so scenic.
Then checked into La Quinta Inn near the airport. Ate dinner at W W Peppers, a local favorite. Was good.

Day 10 To the airport and returned home where it was 92 and much more humid. So I'll stop the whining about the heat out West.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 08:25 AM
Ani

Sounds like a great trip...I have lived in Colorado most of my life and havent visited any of the places you did!
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 10:42 AM

Thanks for the report Margo! Sounds like everything went very well.

I have a question - at Mesa Verde, you said you visited Crystal Palace. Do you mean Cliff Palace? I have only seen tours to Long, Cliff and Balcony. If there is a Crystal Palace, I will have to go back and see that too!
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

My goof, beckers. It is Cliff Palace. Crystal Palace is the name of a swimming pool long gone from the DC area. Cliff Palace was an amazing piece of work by ancient Indians.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 12:51 PM

Thanks for the clarification. But I was kind of looking for an excuse to go back.

We were there a few weeks ago and did Cliff and Balcony (we did Long a few years ago). We stayed at Far View, which was great, but we had a little problem at Metate. The food was wonderful, but the service was terrible. We were there 2 1/2 hours before we got our food, and then they tried to rush us out because they wanted to close. We finally had to ask for bread after we had sat there for an hour.

The food was good, if you are willing to do a marathon dinner. The really frustrating part was we saw at least 5 parties that had come in after us (my fiancee and I), and they were in and out before we got our salads.

But you can't beat the stars and the solitude you get staying in the park.

Thanks again for the report!
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 02:23 PM

Nice report, Margo. Thanks so much for sharing.

beckers2482: Where's your trip report?

AL
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 06:06 AM

Oh, Al, you caught me. I will try to get something together this weekend.