Some Colorado highlights

Search

Some Colorado highlights

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2016, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some Colorado highlights

I live in northern Colorado and just returned from an 8 day driving trip with friends in southern Colorado. I thought I would give a few highlights for others to consider. We drove from Fort Collins to Alamosa for the first night and spent the evening at the Great Sand Dunes National Park. At this time of the year, Medano Creek is really flowing and the surge is a unique and fun thing to experience, over and over! The evening and the next morning were comfortable for climbing the dunes before the heat built up. We stayed the Fairfield Inn in Alamosa and had a good Mexican dinner with large blue margaritas at Calvillos.

Next highlight was the Arbor House Inn, a lovely bnb on the river in South Fork. We stayed two nights and explored the quaint town of Creede and drove 20 miles north to see the stunning North Clear Creek Falls. The mining museum in Creede is a great introduction to the mining history of the area. They offer a 30 minute audio tour on your own which was perfect.

The drive over Wolf Creek Pass with stops to do the Lobo Overlook and short hike to Treasure Falls made a fun trip over to Pagosa Springs. We spent a night at the Pagosa Spa and Resort to enjoy all the hot spring pools. Enjoyed soaking and looking out on the river which was moving fast with the spring run off. You can take rafting trips from Pagosa as well though we were too lazy.

Out of Pagosa Springs we stopped at Chimney Rock National Monument. You can only go up the Pueblo trail to see the Chacoan Great House and other structures with a guide. We did so and the views are very very good. The trail is steep and hot with no shade though. There is also a trail that you can do on your own with audio guide to the lower section, called the Kiva trail. Early in the day is best for this stop. Or on a full moon when they have the Native American musician playing at the top as the moon appears between the rocks. That would be cool.

On to Durango we go. We stayed in one of the most beautiful places, a bnb, Blue Lake Ranch. The Ranch is 16 miles outside of Durango. Lovely, lovely grounds, and quiet with stunning views of the mountains. Lots of different room choices. We stayed in the upper Spring House. Breakfasts were wonderful. We had a great meal at Kenebec Cafe which was only 10 minutes or so from the ranch.

Ute Tribal Mountain Park was what brought us to Durango. You must go with a Ute guide to access the cliff dwellings on their property. There were 6 of us with our guide and we had Lion Canyon all to ourselves. We hiked about 3 miles on the trail but you do have to climb up and down numerous ladders. The last ladder to Eagles Nest is 30 feet so heights can be intimidating. We were allowed to go in to the structures and explore, unlike at Mesa Verde. Pottery shards and other artifacts are out in the open. Wonderful day, Blue Lake Ranch packed us a picnic lunch which you eat at the end of the excursion, outside of the canyon itself.

We finished up our Colorado swing with a 2 night stop in Ouray. Highlight was a jeep tour into Yankee Boy Basin and as far up Imogene Pass as we could get until the snow stopped us with Alpine Scenic Tours. Michael was a great driver and yes, the drive is narrow and steep and rough in places but the views are killer. We stopped at Twin Falls and at several mine ruins. This drive would be even better in mid July for wild flowers or early September for the Aspen but it wasn't too bad now for the waterfalls either.

My home state never ceases to amaze me with the beauty and history all around us. Just go.
Old Jun 18th, 2016, 05:01 PM

Great report. I spent 5 years in southwestern CO and it is indeed a special place. Love the Kennebec Cafe, excellent meals, eaten there dozens of times and it is consistently top notch.

Blue Lake Ranch is special, glad you like it.
Old Jun 19th, 2016, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for replying, good to know someone read it!
Old Jun 19th, 2016, 01:14 PM

Sounds like a great time to me! I am interested in Chimney Rock now and think I'm might incorporate that into our fall drive this year.

Thanks and enjoyed reading your report.
Old Jun 19th, 2016, 03:33 PM

This sounds like a great trip. We've tried to visit Chimney Rock but it hasn't been open when we've been out there. Would like to do the Ute trip too, maybe next time.

Thanks for the report.
Old Jun 19th, 2016, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Chimney Rock is one of the newest National Monuments and has a small cabin as the visitor center. They are running multiple tours every day through the summer and you can get a guided tour fairly easily.

The Ute Tribal Mountain Park runs guided trips to mid to late October and then closes all winter. There are lots of structures not accessible in the Ute property and they told us that one ruin holds several mummified remains that the Hopi are supposed to be burying at some point but as of now, they are still there. Luckily, that ruin is not easy to reach or they would need to worry about thieves. Fascinating places.
Old Jun 19th, 2016, 06:39 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
>

Spot on!

Enjoyed your report - love Durango - must get back down there for some hiking and green chile pizza!
Old Jun 20th, 2016, 06:29 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Great report. Thanks for sharing. I made note of your B&B recommendations, they look excellent.

We missed the Chimney Rock tour due to arriving too late in the day en route to Durango a couple of years ago. It's still on the list.

Regarding Ute Mountain Tribal Park, do those tours require a lot of time roughly bouncing around in a jeep, or can the drivers keep it pretty mellow if you ask? My wife's back won't take a lot of jostling. Thanks.

>
Spot on!

Ditto!
Old Jun 20th, 2016, 08:32 AM

I'm adding your trip to my "road trips to take when we retire" list. It's not so far off....
Old Jun 20th, 2016, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Nelson- You can drive your own car to meet the Ute guide if you like, especially from Blue Lake ranch as it is very close to the east gate of the tribal park. It is a short drive from there to the canyon where it is all hiking and ladder climbing. The road in is dirt but not rough if you choose to go in the guide's van from the visitor center instead

The jeeps come in to play at Alpine Scenic tours in Ouray as that is the drive up into the basins and mountains. It can be a bit bouncy but really the bigger issue would be for people who get scared on narrow roads with drop offs.
Old Jun 20th, 2016, 12:04 PM

>

I also agree! Great report!

I've loved Medano Creek since I was a kid. The jeep tour into Yankee Boy Basin has been on my list forever as well as a stop in Creede for the repertory theater. Glad to know about North Clear Creek Falls.

Thanks for the report.
Old Jun 20th, 2016, 02:55 PM

Livetoroam, we're midwesterners who really appreciate the beauty of Colorado! We've skied and hiked in your home state many times. Thanks for your report! You're lucky to live in such a beautiful state.
Old Jun 20th, 2016, 04:02 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Livetoroam, thanks for the clarification on the Ute Mountain drives. I was under the mistaken impression you were required to use their vehicles and drivers.

In any case, I need to spend more time in that corner of the state!