Search

colorado river float trip

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2004, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
colorado river float trip

I direct this to Utahtea -
Several times on the forum You've mentioned and recommended the float trip on the Colorado River which can be taken from Page, Arizona. Could you provide some information on this trip? Like, how long does it take? Are advance reservations necessary? Does it leave and come back at the same place? etc. etc.???

Is there a web site you know of with this information??
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

An addition to me original question...

My searches on the web have shown me that there are several companies offering float trips with many different options. Perhaps someone can help me sort out all the different possibilities and make some recommendations as to what points to consider.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 01:44 PM

Hi sssteve. I'm sure utahtea will be able to give you more specifics from her own experience, but here are two sites where you can get info and make reservations for the 1/2 day float trip out of Page:

www.powellmuseum.org - click on visitor info, then tours

www.lakepowell.com

I've been planning my own trip and have found both sites extremely helpful.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 02:09 PM
Syv

http://www.nps.gov/grca/river/othertrips.htm

This is the site referred to by the National Park Service - Grand Canyon site.

I booked my tour at Grand Canyon Village and was picked up by bus there to Page. I think it was "Wilderness" river tours. Very good day trip. Wear sunblock!
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 04:29 PM

Hi sssteve,

As far as I can tell, there is only one tour guide that has a license to do the raft trips on the Colorado River out of Page and that is Wilderness Outfitters (aka: Widerness River Adventures).

Try this web site:

http://www.riveradventures.com/trips_float_trips.shtml

and then click on the link to "book a float trip online". That link will answer all your questions. Times, prices, availbility, etc.

I had called them months before we were going to be there and they told me since we were going to be in Page a few days before we were going to do the raft trip to just come in a couple of days before and book the tour. IF you only have ONE day that you need to take the tour, then I would book early. If you cancel, I don't think there is a charge...but I would ask.

We took the 7:30 morning tour. We got to their store in Page about 7:00 and were the first in line to pay and check in. You then wait outside for the tour buses. They have big beautiful air-conditioned gray hound type buses that they drive you down to the river in. You have to be driven thought a tunnel to the base of the dam. They stop before entering the gate to the tunnel and everyone is asked to get off the bus so security can check it. All your bags are put in a pickup truck and driven thought the tunnel separately.

Once down at the base of the dam you have to put on a hard hat to walk down the ramp before getting on the raft. You deposit the hard hat and can pick up a life jacket if you want. Children under 12 have to wear the life jackets but adults don't. We didn't. There will be several rafts that go at the same time. The tour guides are a crack up and do silly things as one raft will pass the other.

Then you have the best couple of hours as you float down the 14 miles of river. They make one stop at the petroglyphs for the short hike. There are bathrooms there. At one point all the rafts will gather together and sing songs and tell jokes for a short time before continuing down the river. Our guide even brought out his bongo drums!

At Lee's Ferry you get off the raft and the tour buses that drove you down to the base of the dam are waiting to drive you back to Page, AZ. You do have a little time to explore Lee Ferry before departing. We got back around 1:00 P.M.

All in all a lot of fun!

Utahtea

Old Jun 17th, 2004, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks.
I found the wilderness outfitters thru the powell museum site. After Sept 15 (we'll be there on Sept 27) they have one float per day. It leaves at 1100 AM and gets back at 330 PM.
Is it reasonable to drive from GC south rim to Page, take the raft float, and then continue to Zion where we will spend the next 2 nights? How long is each of these drives?? (GC->Page, Page->Zion)

Old Jun 17th, 2004, 07:07 AM

I would suggest getting up in time for sunrise at the Grand Canyon. On Sept. 15 sunrise will probably be about 5:44

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneDay.html

That should give you enought time to drive from the Grand Canyon, stop at one or two of the overlooks as you leave the park and reach Page, AZ in time to find the Wilderness Store grab a quick bite to eat and check in. It's 137 miles and driving time between the GC and Page is about 3 hours.

From Page, AZ to Zion National Park is 117 miles to the visitor center and it will take about 2 1/2 hours.

You could swing it, just keep in mind that sunset will be around 7:40.

Utahtea

Old Jun 17th, 2004, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Utahtea, I get the feeling that you think it might be better to spend one night in Page.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 09:30 AM

A night in Page or at Waheap Marina would make for a more relaxing trip. I don't know what in your shedule you would have to cut short to make this happen.

If you did spend the night, then maybe the next morning you would have time to do the short hike to Horseshoe Bend and see where you had floated the day before &/OR a 1 1/2 hour tour of the Upper Antelope Slots Canyon.

So much to see and so little time

Utahtea

Old Jun 17th, 2004, 11:52 PM
Original Poster

We've decided we want to do the Colorado river rafting but I'm a little concerned about driving to Page in the morning to get to the raft departure at 11 AM.
Would it be reasonable/rational to leave GC the evening before and spend the night before the raft trip in page??
Is there any problem driving between GC and Page at dusk or later. We'll be there at the end of September when sunset will be at 630 PM.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 06:30 PM

Is there anyway to squeeze one more day into your trip?

The only problem I can see is what you will miss.

After you leave the S. Rim visitor center and travel east on Hwy 64 there are many great scenic overlooks of the Grand Canyon. After you leave the park you have a panoramic view of a painted desert type area. As you travel north on Hwy 89 it's like being at the painted desert. You will go thought a beautiful sandstone pass and then see Lake Powell area as you come back down this pass. I would hate to drive that after dusk!

Here are some of my pictures of Hwy 89 traveling between Cameron and Page.

http://www.utahtea.lithium.com/vacat...3/hwy%2089.htm

Utahtea

Old Jun 18th, 2004, 11:34 PM
Original Poster

I've already added a day twice and believe me, I'm looking for another one.
If the ride from GC to Page is so beautiful, then I don't see how we'll make it to page at 11 am in order to get on the raft ride. Is it really doable?? What time will we have to leave the GC south rim?

I have the option of cutting out one night in LV. Here's my current itinerary. Perhaps u can suggest something.

arrive in LV with lots of jet lag after long flight - 3 nights in LV (2.5 days)
visit hoover dam on way to GC south rim
3 nights at Yavapai Inn at south rim
drive to page for raft- 1 night at page
2 nights at zion
1 night at Bryce
1 night in Torrey
2 nights in Moab
drive to SLC - stay near airport for flight in the morning

I would like to add another day at Torrey, but the overnight at page made that difficult. Any suggestions?

Old Jun 19th, 2004, 05:48 PM

It would be VERY easy for me. I'd cut one night in Las Vegas.

We drive by Las Vegas all the time and don't stop. It's not our idea of a vacation location, but that's just us and I know many people who love it there.

Utahtea
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 05:53 PM

Do you plan on hiking down into the Grand Canyon? If you do plan on hiking down, then you will need the two days and three nights there. If not, then you might be able to get away with just two nights at the Grand Canyon and spend most of the morning and early afternoon of the day you leave for Page exploring the park as you exit.

I love Capitol Reef, but I don't think you really need two nights in Torrey, but a 3rd night in Moab would be good! I can spend a week in the Moab area.

Utahtea
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 08:16 PM
Original Poster

I knew you'd recommend cutting one night from Las Vegas.
I'm also considering it. The problem is that I have a cousin who lives there and I wanted to visit with her, although at the moment, she's not even sure if she'll be in town. Also, the first day/night may not be too "productive" after flying for 15 hours or so and a clock change of 9 hours.

I assume I can visit Hoover Dam as a day trip from LV on the third day there. Is that correct?? That will add a half a day to GC and give us a full day and most of a second day there, even if we stay for only 2 nights. From what you say, that should be enough. We did plan to do some hiking in GC, although nothing too "heavy-duty".
How long does the visit to hoover Dam take? Is there anything else to see on the way from LV to GC besides the Hoover dam?

In a previous post, you mentioned hiking in Horsheshoe Bend, or Antelope Canyon while we're in Page. Is there enough time for one of them after the raft trip which ends at 1530?? This appears to be a "restful" raft trip...

Now at least I understand that I'm looking for another night at Moab and not at Torrey. At that time of year, (end of September), can we dispense with motel reservations in places other than LV and GC? That will give us some flexibility on the road.
Old Jun 20th, 2004, 12:56 PM

We've never done the Hoover Dam tour. Years ago we did the Glen Canyon Dan tour. There you just need to go in and sign up for the tour. You might have to wait before you can get in on a tour.

I didn't find the river float trip to be that tiring. The last half hour or so you are riding back in those big comfortable buses. You could easily fit in the 3/4 mile hike to Horseshoe Bend. Ask the float trip bus driver to show you where the parking for the hike is. You pass right by it on the way back to Page. It's just a couple of miles out of town, but very easy to miss if you don't know where it is.

I was looking at the time schedule for the slots canyon tours and I don't know if you will be able to squeeze that in. The latest tour I could find was at 5:00 P.M. but I don't know if that is an option in September. One place I read they don't do the 5:00 after July 31st. Sunlight is very important in seeing the canyon. Each tour place has different times so that the canyon isn't full. Find a tour guide place that has the times you're interested in and contact them. You might try to do this the next morning. They start at 8:00 A.M. but just realize that the middle of the day is the best time for sunlight in the canyon.

http://www.pagelakepowellchamber.org...pe_canyon.html

We always camp so I won't be any help on lodging. If you want to have lodging in Zion and Bryce then I would make reservations. Torry and Moab have so many motels I wouldn't think it would be a problem, but I really don't know for sure.

Utahtea