Reload this Page >

Colorado Itinery in August - Help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 11:57 AM
tk

We will be arriving and departing from Denver. Our first 2 nights will be in Gunnison. From there we have 3 nights for anything. We would love to get the best out of a driving tour..Please anyone........head towards the national park at estes....vail? or is San Jaun Skyway too much. It's our first trip and we want it to blow us away....really not interested in city stops......3 nights at one place to venture from or a break it up is ok too.......thanks to anyone who can share the most magical place in Colorado in 3 nights!

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 12:33 PM
Tom

We just got back from doing Gunnison - from there we made the drive to Arches National Park in Utah, and it was well worth the trip. Make sure to use Rt. 128 to get to the park - it's gorgeous. We stayed in Grand Junction in between, but there's nothing to recommend that - the wine country in nearby Palisade is supposed to be very nice, and Moab might be a decent option as well.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 12:35 PM
burninghere

Whatever you do keep your butts in the car!!!!

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 01:41 PM
tk

good point, what area's should we not consider due to the fires?

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 02:19 PM
rqf

I assume you will be visiting the Black Canyons of the Gunnison National Park. With three days for traveling Moab (Arches/Canyonlands) would be a nice visit. The drive back to Denver on I-70 is scenic once in Colorado

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 04:28 PM
xx

ttt

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 04:55 AM
M

Estes park, mount evans, for ski towns in the summer Breckenridge is fun.

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 07:54 AM
evelyntrav

After visiting Black Canyon and on your way to Moab, you could stop at Colorado National Monument in Grand Junction or Fruita entrance.

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 05:28 PM
tk

Thanks everyone...I'm thinking a night in the Vail area...2.5 hrs from Gunni then maybe up to Estes another 2.5 hr to have 2 nights and one full day to explore Park.......any hotel recommendations that have a wildlife cabin feel or nice resort feel.....yes I realize that's two different worlds...we just would prefer one to a highway super8 kinda thing......anywhere with character......or are we shooting for too much thanks

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 05:32 PM
tk

Arches and Canyonland sounds great but since we've spent a couple of trips in Arizona, it seems similar to what we've seen.....never seen the Rocky's so it sounded like something new and glorious?

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 04:26 PM
gb

I think it will take about 3 hours to Vail from Gunnison-depends on the day, traffic and construction. If you visit Black Canyon, there are a couple of interesting spots. There (if it is operating this year because of low water-call park service) is a cool float boat ride from Pine Creek access to Morrow Point Reservoir. There is a one mile easy hike with steps from the road to the boat. Tickets are bought at the Elk Creek Visitor (call first, because this might have changed). There is a National Park Guide on the boat. Also, there is a unique prespective if you drive on the north side of the park and stop at the overlooks. They are awesome.
While in Gunnison, you might visit Crested Butte. If it is on a weekend there is likely a festival. Take the back road to Gothic either by car or bike for an interesting drive. If you walk a bit past Gothic, you'll see large avalanche chutes. It is very beautiful back there. There is also a hike to Judd Falls out of Gothic. Between Crested Butte and Gunnison there are several horse back outfitters who give nice rides. Another interesting side trip from Gunnison is to go to the site of the Alpine Tunnel. It is a graded dirt road, kind of hair raising if you aren't used to mountain roads. Recently, it became a state site and they are renovated the site slowly with volunteers. Notice the Palisade wall built by slave Chinese labor.
In Estes Park, I like the YMCA of the Rockies for cabins. They have several grades of cabin and lodging facilities from the most basic to houses. Call first for availability because they fill up because of decent prices. However, I would work in a stop at glenwood Hot Springs and take an evening swim under the stars.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 01:23 PM
tom

The terrain around The Black Canyon of the Gunnisaon is desertlike. If you're more interested in high mountain terrain maybe you could have only one night in Gunnison. Consider going to Aspen by using Independence Pass. The 12000 top of the pass is spectacular. I love Aspen and Vail but Aspen is Victorian and has a genuine oldtime Colorado feel. Vail has more of a manufactured alps village feel. Don't rule out going the other direction to the Durango area. The Durango to Silverton Railroad looks great, Telluride is a very special high mountain place(take the tram up to Mountain Village),Ouray is very alpine and interesting, and the "Million Dollar Highway" itself is awesome.
In the Vail area there is a very nice bike trail that fojllows the Eagle River all the way from Vail to Breckenridge I believe.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 01:45 PM
Paul

Whatever you do, DO NOT buy petrol in Gunnison. I just drove through CO a few weeks ago and it was the most expensive place by far. $1.69 per gallon. Try to plan to fuel in Montrose if you are going that way. Its only about $1.30.

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 09:03 AM
Katrina

Just returned from a week in CO. We spent a few days in RMNP which was wonderful! I would not recommend Estes Park if you don't like the crowded, touristy thing. We didn't stay there--and I'm glad. I have heard good things about YMCA of the Rockies though.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 05:44 PM
tk

Again thanks for all the replies. Katrina, please tell me more about Estes. I would much rather go thru and then haven seen it done it sleep in a lovely peaceful place. Where did you stay?

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 05:59 PM
tk

Thanks also to GB for all the great stuff about Gunnison...we are going to the Reel Fest and hope to see some of your generous suggestions!