Colonial Williamsburg

Old Nov 7th, 2005, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Colonial Williamsburg

How many days would I need to spend in Williamsburg in order to see it all? And any recommendations, tours, hotels, must see's, etc.
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 07:26 AM

2 days to see Colonial Williamsburg. Add additional time if you want to go to Jamestown, Yorktown, the shopping outlets, etc.

I think the best place to stay is the Williiamsburg Inn for itx proximity to CW and its charm.
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 07:33 AM

Check their seasonal calendar. There may be certain evening offerings which appeal to you to extend your stay.
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 07:39 AM

Depending on when you are plannning on visiting, some of the CW museums may be closed so you won't need to find time to tour them. The Abby Aldrich and the DeWitt Wallace are both undergoing renovations. Carters Grove is permanently closed. I would recommend the Muscarelle on the W&M campus. It is a wonderful small museum that many miss. It is next to Phi Beta Kappa hall, a moderate walk down Jamestown Rd. form the historical area.
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 10:50 AM

Two days enough? OMG, I've been going to Wbg more than a couple times a year for several years and because of changing programs STILL haven't seen it all! It can be very interesting if you really listen & try to put yourself into that period of time. The interpreters do a great job, and please avail yourself of all programs - some require a ticket (free) to limit number of audience/participants, and others are actually an extra charge. The "Other Half Tour" gives a great into to the plight of blacks at that time period. Various programs such as "conversations" with Martha Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Patrick Henry, General Washington are great; sometimes held in DeWitt auditorium, sometimes in the palace garden. "Order in the Court" demonstrates peoples exercise of rights and the status of women and the law. I've never been displeased with any of the evening programs; I think I've seen all of them.

The onsite lodging should be great, but I prefer less expensive especially on nearby ByPass Road where chain hotels have off-season prices as low as $30-$40, which I'd rather spend on gifts, restaurants, and evening programs.