Reload this Page >

College Roadtrip to Chicago

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 12:49 PM
Robert

Hi everyone. I'm a senior in college and a group of buddies and I are going to Chicago for 5 days (fall break). We want to have a good time and get the real Chicago experience. One of my friends is from Chicago so he should know of the good touristy stuff, but we're curious as to what bars and clubs would be of interest to us? We're all 21-22 and love to party.

Suggestions?

Also, what are some memorable yet not too pricey restuarants?

Thanks to everyone in advance.

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 04:21 PM
Suzy

You probably would want to check out the bars in the Rush/Division area. There are a bunch of different bars that are close together. Gibsons is a very popular steak house in that area. It is a little pricey but not as bad as the other steakhouses. You might want to check out Ed Debevics which is a fun diner. House of Blues is fun and has good food. Another area that might be fun for you would be the bars near Wrigley Field.

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 04:24 PM
ss

Lincoln Park bars.

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 04:49 PM
TryThis

robert -

you're too young (and presumably not chessy enough) for the rush street crowd - avoid it at all costs.

lincoln park/wrigleyville is a safe bet - especially for the "frat boy" set (not meant to be derogatory). Lots of DePaul students/recent Big Ten and Northwestern grads.

wicker park/bucktown is a bit "hipper". the Double Door on Milwaukee is a great live music venue.

check out metromix.com - it has a good search menu and reviews from locals.

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 07:24 PM
Steve

Robert, would you guys be interested in going to one of the comedy clubs? Or one of the blues clubs?

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 08:20 PM
Robert

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

No offense taken to the "frat boy" reference... we're actually in a fraternity and we understand the stereotype. We don't play into it but we see why its there... hehe.

Steve - We would be interested in the blues and/or comedy clubs, I just want to make sure we have enough time to do everything. If we had to choose, I think we should pick a blues club--do you agree? We have comedy clubs around where we are from, but blues is different everywhere. (correct me if I am wrong there).

Are there any particular nightclubs we'd enjoy? One dumb question: is the "club scene dress code" in Chicago similar to that of NYC?...as in, black pants, shiny shirts, etc? We usually dress much more casually (fratboy-ish maybe?) but don't want to be turned away at the door by a discriminating bouncer.

Thanks again for everyones' help.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 05:56 AM
Racy

Robert:

You will find that some of the clubs do have the no jeans/no gym shoes/shirt-must-have-collar dress code.

In case you get the urge to go to Whiskey Sky in the W Lakeshore: It's sooooo underwhelming, I wouldn't bother waiting in the very long line. The actual bar is a small, midnight-blue room -- and I mean SMALL. Expensive drinks. If I had had to wait a couple of hours for that, I would have been annoyed!

Most of the Wrigleyville bars will be dress-code free.

HTH,
Racy

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 06:07 AM
jvs

Definitely stay away from Rush/Division area. Its for amatures.
Wicker Park/Bucktown is a great place to hang for the cool 20's crowd. But steer clear of the black pants/shiny shirt thing. This is the neighborhood where John Cusack's "High Fidelity" was filmed...to give you an idea. I like Club Holiday/Silver Cloud(for dinner)/The North Side cafe/Double Door.
Green Dolphin St (on Damen Ave) is a good place for Jazz/Martinis. But dont wear Jeans/Sneakers- its a little more upscale.
If you are more into the Irish pub/college scene, try Ginger Man on Clark street. Its near the "The Cabaret Metro" (which is good for inde band-type concerts) Also try the Lincoln Park bar scene.
Have fun.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 07:04 AM
shasson

As people have said, there are 3 main nightlife areas that will most likely appeal to you most:
-Wrigleyville (near Wrigley Field, duh). If you are staying downtown, it's easily accesible by taking the Red Line (subway) north, and exiting at Addison. Go to Clark Street, and you'll have roughly 9,000 options.
-Lincoln Park: centered around the 2200 block of Lincoln Avenue. You'll think you died and went to sorority girl heaven.
-Wicker Park: take the Blue Line subway, exit Damen. This is Chicago's hipper area. That might mean that you would get harrassed for being too "frat boy." That is, try not to all wear pleated khaki's and baseball caps. Seriously. There is a indie/punk/anarchist scene there. But, it's also the 'hood where Real World Chicago was set, so you'll enjoy it.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 07:52 AM
Robert

Just got back from my trip ti Chicago. We all absolutely loved Chicago!! Maybe I was underrating Chicago before I went, but I had no idea how awesome the city is!

Chicago made NYC look like a stuck-up cess pool in my opinion! I am now looking for law and grad. schools in ChiTown.

We stayed with friends off of Oakley Ave. about 3 miles from The Loop and Mag. Mile. I recommend eating at Sushi Wabi, Innjoy, ordering a famous Chicago pizza, and Cafe Luciano.

Some cool bars/clubs we went to: John Barleycorn, Gin Mill, Cherry Red. Those 3 stood out from the rest.

We definitely emjoyed lunch and drinks at the top of John Hancock Tower, but the Sears Skydeck was overpriced and a joke. Avoid Sears Skydeck at all costs.

We also went to the Field Museum and Art Institute and we all really enjoyed those as well.

All in all, an excellent trip. I love Chicago! Thanks to all who gave me pre-trip advice!

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 04:47 AM
xxx

Hi Robert, glad you enjoyed Chicago (as a New Yorker, I'll disregard your cracks about our city!) Sounds like you really were able to see a lot and I'm was happy to see you got to the Art Institute!

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 12:58 PM
Robert

My comment about New York was more of a compliment to Chicago than a crack on NYC. I have ALWAYS loved NYC and have been there 10+ times, but the laid-back, easygoing attitude of Chicago really put me at ease while NYC puts me on edge. Sorry if I offended anyone!

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 06:45 AM
Liz

Quote "Chicago made NYC look like a stuck-up cess pool in my opinion" - gee, can't IMAGINE how anyone might be insulted! Maybe you should re-read what you write before you post?

Anyway, sounds like you guys had a great time and planned well. Lunch & drinks at the JHT must have been cool, I'll put that on my list for our next visit.