Chicago: Where would you go!!?

May 4th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Chicago: Where would you go!!?

Late 20's male traveling the week of Mother's day.
Scenario: Best friend is flying in from New York City, He lives in Los Angeles and goes out quite often. He loves cool bar/lounges where live music may be available. Trendy/indie style influences etc.
He loves to mingle and will have fun stories from New York. I want to show him a better time. Where would YOU take him?
May 4th, 2007, 09:09 AM

Rush Street. Tons of bars and restaurants.

Curious
May 4th, 2007, 09:31 AM

No specific bar recommandations but just general areas:

River North area - more upscale, yuppie type bars, clubs. Cool music.

Rush Street area - somewhat meat marketish, drunk tourists and conventioners mixed with crazy college crowds. Hip-hop, dj music.

Wicker Park area - Eccletic, indie, live music performed by good local bands as well as up and coming national acts.

Lakeview area - mid-size venues for national and international touring acts as well as some great reggae bars with live acts.

Old Town - some of the legendary blues/jazz clubs.

Just general observations, not necessarily true on all counts.
May 4th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Jen

By no means should you go to Rush/Division area. It is a cheesy, touristy joke. Wicker Park, Bucktown, Ukrainian Village, East Village, and Logan Square neighborhoods will have what you are looking for. I'm more of a pub/corner bar kind of person than trendy/hipster,so I don't have specific recommendations-- although I do know that for live indie music, you can't beat the Empty Bottle on Western just north of Augusta-- it was recently voted one of the top ten rock venues in the country by Playboy. Metromix.com has a wealth of information about bars in Chicago, which might be helpful. Enjoy!
May 4th, 2007, 10:55 AM

For the love of God, do not go to Rush street.

Definitely head on over to Wicker Park for lounges, etc. Subterranean is a nice place to visit (good dj, but a bar/lounge feel over a club feel, and live music is downstairs). Also, Salud Tequila bar (a nice lounge, more sophisticated, but not too over the top). Basically if you walk up and down Milwaukee or Damen in Wicker Park, you'll find plenty of options.

Empty Bottle is indeed a great music venue, I might be heading over there tonight (I live only a few blocks away).
May 15th, 2007, 11:50 AM

Bucktown/Wicker Park area was great when we were there last fall.