Search

College kids heading to Los Angeles

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2009, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
College kids heading to Los Angeles

Hi all-

I'm heading to LA in January with 3 of my closest girl friends for a six night vacation for our winter break. I've been to Los Angeles multiple times and have seen a good amount of the city, but none of my friends have, so we're kinda just looking around for fun touristy stuff to do. FYI- none of us are 21 yet.

We're thinking of staying in Santa Monica and renting a car- hotel ideas? Cheap but still decetn (we are college kids, haha).

I've come up with a couple touristy type ideas....but suggestions would be GREAT! Thus far:
-Getty Center, Hollywood- Walk of Fame/Chinese Theater, Rodeo Drive, Third Street Promenade/Santa Monica Pier/etc

Also- how is the weather in January? Is it still nice enough to spend a day in Malibu or Catalina Island? Are there surfing/snorkeling opportunities?

Thank you!!!
Old Oct 21st, 2009, 11:40 AM

I assume you know that 1) many hotels will not rent rooms to under-21s, so check in advance, and 2) most rental car companies charge a huge premium for rentals to under-21s (maybe 50% extra).
Old Oct 21st, 2009, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Yep, I have checked into both of those. Thanks
Old Oct 21st, 2009, 02:23 PM

I think you would enjoy renting bikes and riding all or part of the 22 mile bike path between Santa Monica and Torrance Beach. Lots to see along the way and you may get lucky and see fiming somewhere along the way if you go midweek.

If you don't do the bike ride at least walk from Santa Monica to Venice Beach, where lots is always happening and there are cheap shops and stands.

I can recommend Redondo Sport Fishing whale watching tours. Fun couple hours on the water for about $15. You may get really lucky and see a pod of Orcas as we did.

Jay Leno is at the Comedy and Magic Club in Hermosa Beach on Sundays.My daughter and her friends really enjoyed this when she did a similar trip at your age.

Get tickets for a taping of a TV show, that is always fun.

For some cliff top hikes and tide pooling head to the Palos Verdes Peninsula. Trump's would be a fun place to stop for lunch.

January weather is usually crisp and clear and not tanning weather. However you may get lucky and hit a heat wave like last January where it was in the 80's for a week. But even then the water is really too cold to go in without a wetsuit.

Have fun!!!!
Old Oct 21st, 2009, 05:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There's a hostel right on the beach in Hermosa Beach. I live in the area, so I have no experience staying there, but it's been around for many years.

http://www.surfcityhostel.ws/
Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 08:09 PM
Original Poster

Awesome, thank you all!!!
Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 10:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Here's a website I discovered, ah, a few months back, maybe longer: http://www.interbridge.com/lineupsdate.html

What is it: it gives the listing for all late night talk show guests for the upcoming two weeks. You need to know where the broadcasts are (i.e David Letterman is in NY,most others are in L.A.).

It makes for a fun, cheap afternoon or evening if you know how to work it.

If there's a celebrity you really like, or a band in town while you're here that you like, chances are the band will be on one of these shows, and chances are even better that you can score free tickets.

Take today: I know that Echo & the Bunnymen (great '80's band you probably never heard of) are playing the Nokia tomorrow night (needless to say I'm going!), and Weezer (whom you've probably heard of) are also playing tomorrow night at the Palladium. I checked out the above website, and discovered Echo & the Bunnymen were going to be on Jimmy Kimmel. So I found the Jimmy Kimmel Live website (this was about 2 hours before line up time!) and requested 2 tickets, was able to secure them and print them up in the convenience of my own home!

Unfortunately, we had a little police activity in the Beverly Hills area this evening, so it took us longer than anticipated to get to the place where they tape (next to the El Capitan on Hollywood Blvd, across from Kodak Theatre and Graumann's Chinese). Validated parking at the Kodak lot.

We ALMOST got in, but there were a bunch of bigwigs that unexpectedly showed up (including Quentin Tarantino), so because we were 15 min. late, we couldn't get in. BUT, they were also doing a live Weezer concert outside, which we DID get into. So we got to watch the show on an outdoor screen, then see a live performance of Weezer. Total cost: $3.00 for parking with the validation (we were there 5 hours, including after show drinks back at the Kodak complex). Great, cheap, impromptu evening that my 20 year old up north in college was totally pissed he missed. He loves Weezer.

Oh well, at least got to hear the Bunnymen play even though we weren't inside and, besides, we'll see them tomorrow, so it's not a crushing blow.
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 06:50 AM

You may want to consider priceline for your hotel. I often stay at the Crowne Plaza in Redondo Beach through a 3* bid on priceline. (only once I have received the Marriot) The Crowne Plaza is right across from the marina, bike rentals across the street, close to hermosa (great beaches, entertainment) You can walk everywhere which is great. If you don't want to chance the Marriot you can buy an entertainment book for Los Angeles; if you will be doing touristy stuff you will definately get your moneys worth! The rate at the Crowne Plaza was 77.00 through the entertainment book recently.
Have fun, be safe and stay together, do not go off with any cute cal dudes! (the Mom in me)