Santa Monica or Hermosa or Laguna w/ teen boys

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

O.K. Fodorites...I have read everything you wonderful guys and gals have put out there, but now I need your help! DH, 2 boys (16 & 18) and I will be visiting the LA area for 5 days at the end of May (NOT Memorial Day!). DH has business in the Westwood area for 2 of the days, then we'll play. I had narrowed it down (thanks to you) to Loews in Santa Monica for the first few nights (relatively close to DH's business and sounds like fun for the boys), then Marriott at Laguna Cliffs for the last couple of nights (the scenery and a bit of a different experience). Then I found out we can get a nice corporate rate at the Beach House in Hermosa. So now what should we do? (I'd like to stay at all, but that's just not practical here!) DH is O.K. with the longer drive to the Westwood area from HB for a couple days (we're anticipating it to be 45 minutes), but is it worth it? We don't have any set itinerary. We may do a studio tour, we may not. We've not visited ths part of CA before....just driven through (ack!) from San Diego to San Francisco.

DH and I would love to visit the Getty, but not with the boys on this trip. We're more into the beach and exploring. Please help us decide how to allocate these 5 nights! Thanks a bunch!
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 11:26 AM
lvk

While I'm a big fan of the Beach House and the South Bay beaches, I think Santa Monica works best for your particular itinerary. 1) Less commuting misery for your husband. 2) Closer to the studio tours and other L.A. attractions. 3) After dark, the atmosphere near the Beach House resembles a large frat party, with drunken 20-somethings stagger from bar to bar.

Without knowing your sons' interests, here are just a few ideas:

Check out the Segway tours offered by: www.segwow.com/tours.htm
Renting bikes, skates or skateboards and riding along the beach is usually a hit with teens.
They could also take surf lessons (wetsuit definitely needed in May).
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 12:53 PM

gtrgrl - have you been to the Marriott Laguna Cliffs? I am from the area and have actually stayed there and am not overly impressed. I think your boys might be bored there. Perhaps you can find someplace more IN Laguna Beach?

I think they will love Santa Monica and being able to walk around 3rd street promanade.
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 01:17 PM

They'd probably like Venice Beach too....
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

lvk: Thanks for your insight. I must admit, I was surprised! It was some info you gave to a family with teen boys last year that enticed me to look into Hermosa! You really made it sound like the boys would like it there even more than Santa Monica. I'll try to find the thread I'm referring to and will post it, if I find it. My older son is finshing his freshman year at the University of Florida (even though we live in the midwest now!) so the frat party scene would be much to his liking, but he's not legal, so it's not to my liking! ;-)

The Segway tours sound like a GREAT idea! I will definately look into them!

MomDDTravel: No, I haven't been to the Marriott. I agree with you that the boys might be a bit bored there, but the first part of the trip we're staying at Hermosa or Santa Monica, and that's where they'll get their "fun fix" in. This was really more for me and DH. I had some reservations about the property after reading some posts on tripadviser, but read some O.K. things here. We can't swing the rates at the Ritz and Montage and the places I looked into in Laguna were either too much $$$ or booked. This seemed a step up from some other hotels. And I did get a rate of less than $200, which seemed really good. If you have suggestions, please let me know! I guess if we decide to stay in HB, we can just drive to the area and sightsee for part of a day, then return to HB. Do you think that might be a better idea? It just seems so beautiful there, I was hoping to stay there and not break the bank! But I guess we can always scout it out for another trip!

milemarker0: (love that name!) Yes, we'll definately get to Venice Beach. Probably by bike or they both rollerblade (I bike and walk and will leave the blading to the boys).
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

lvk: Here's the portion of that thread I was referring to (can't believe I found it that quickly!

Author: taratravels
Date: 06/02/2007, 11:25 pm
We have decided to stay in Hermosa Beach as the hotels are so high priced in Santa Monica. Yet, after doing some research, we will probably want to spend time in Santa Monica at the Promenade shopping and at the Pier, and eating at some nice restaurants there. How much time will it take to travel between Hermosa and SM? Will the traffic be heavy between these beach cities? We have two teenage boys and want to spend time at the beach, yet want to go to the Pier and the Promenade and Santa Monica looks so fun. Are we staying too far away from main attractions?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: kleroux
Date: 06/03/2007, 10:25 am
You may want to reconsider. Hermosa is not that close to Santa Monica. There is no direct freeway link. The traffic in LA is getting worse not better. With the cost of gas, and your travel time it may not be that expensive after all to stay in West Los Angeles somewhere.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: lvk
Date: 06/03/2007, 12:02 pm
One day in Santa Monica will be plenty to see all the things you want to see there. Once your boys hang out at the beach in Hermosa, they won't want to venture much farther. If you wait until after 10 am, you can get to SM within 30-40 minutes.

The traffic getting around SM and the Westside is much worse than the traffic in the south bay beach cities.

Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 03:18 PM
lvk

gtrgrl,

I like your research skills. I think that Mom was looking for a beach just to hang out at for a few days, nobody was commuting into Westwood or sightseeing elsewhere in L.A. I really do not care for Santa Monica at all. I think of it as more of an "urban" beach environment, not a laid back beach town, like the South Bay beach towns. However, from downtown Hermosa Beach (where the Beach house is located), it will take you at least 20 minutes just to GET to the 405 freeway. That makes it less desirable as a base for seeing the rest of L.A.
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

For MomDDTravel:

(A repeat of earlier reply)

No, I haven't been to the Marriott. I agree with you that the boys might be a bit bored there, but the first part of the trip we're staying at Hermosa or Santa Monica, and that's where they'll get their "fun fix" in. This was really more for me and DH. I had some reservations about the property after reading some posts on tripadviser, but read some O.K. things here. We can't swing the rates at the Ritz and Montage and the places I looked into in Laguna were either too much $$$ or booked. This seemed a step up from some other hotels. And I did get a rate of less than $200, which seemed really good. If you have suggestions, please let me know! I guess if we decide to stay in HB, we can just drive to the area and sightsee for part of a day, then return to HB. Do you think that might be a better idea? It just seems so beautiful there, I was hoping to stay there and not break the bank! But I guess we can always scout it out for another trip!
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

lvk:

Once again, thank you! SM sounds more urban, as you say, and not our first choice, but traffic may dictate. Once DH spends 20 minutes to get to the 405, how much longer do you think it would take him to get to Wilshire Blvd.? He doesn't think he'd mind too much for 2 mornings only, but reality may be different! A friend who used to live in Mahhattan beach and did a similar commute told him not to worry, but that guy nows lives further up the coast in Santa Barbara. Do you have any opinions on the Marriott in Laguna Cliffs? Maybe we could stay in SM for the first couple nights then move to Hermosa?
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 07:54 AM

There's a lot to do around L.A. , I think it's silly not to stay at one place for the whole 5 nights and I would pick Santa Monica as most convenient, with maybe Manhattan Beach (sea View Inn) as a less-touristy alternative with good roller blading and beachtown vibe.

If you and your husband want to "get away", take a day trip up to Santa Barbara for some wharfside dining or maybe visit a winery. Or take a day trip down to Laguna and San Juan Capistrano.

The Getty is very close to Westwood and Westwood is a neighborhood with a fun vibe for your kids, full of college students, casual restaurants, shops, bookstores etc. You could browse Westwood on afternoon, it's easily accessible by bus especially from Santa Monica. Then meet up with your husband and head to the Getty. The Getty is open late on Fri and Sat, and The Restaurant at the Getty is a GREAT place for a memorable dining experience while in L.A. You should also try to get over to the Griffith Observatory one night, make sure that your boys watch "Rebel Without A Cause" first. For yourself, "L.A. Story" with Steve Martin is a good watch to get you in the mood for the L.A. scene. Have a great time!
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 06:48 AM

gtr - sorry for the delay in response. I know the Marriott gets mixes reviews (here and on trip advisor). It is not on the beach but close to Dohney State beach. You would definately need to drive into Laguna and deal with parking - which is not too bad at the end of May if you go mid week but never "fun".

The Ritz sometimes has great specials - AAA etc. You checked? It is also high up on a cliff but right on the ocean and they take you in a cart down to the beach.

If you have Starwood points you can often get points/cash at the St. Regis which I am not a huge fan of but it is a lovely hotel.

Montage is off the charts pricey.

Surf and Sand is a good choice - if you do a search here of Laguna Beach hotels there are a couple that are right in Laguna that are less expensive that might really fit the bill. I just cannot recall their names.

Old Apr 25th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

MomDDTravel: Surf and Sand and the Ritz are out of our price range (looking to spend $200-$250), I guess we'll either stick with the Marriott (which now sounds like it may be too far removed for the boys) or try to find another hotel. Like the Marriott, the others I've researched get really mixed reviews, so now I'm questioning whether or not we should stay in the area at all. Maybe we'd be best suited to staying in Hermosa and just driving down for an afternoon. I really did hope to stay in or around Laguna, though. It just sounds so beautiful!
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

joesorce:

Now you've got me re-thinking the SM location. We can only afford to stay there for the first couple of nights, (since it's business and the company will pay the bill!), but we can stay in Westwood for those first two nights instead. With UCLA and the Getty being closer to that part of town, which would you recommned? We'll saddle up and head to either Hermosa or the Laguna area after those first couple nights. What do you think?
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 09:47 AM
lvk

I see you have 2 threads going with lots of conflicting advice.

If you can get a good corporate rate at the Beach House, then that would probably be your best move. It is one of the few hotels in Southern California that is truly ON the beach--not across the street, not on a bluff above, not in a marina.

Have you decided what else you would like to do while you are here?
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 10:33 AM

gtrgrl - I would not stay at that Marriott property with a 16 and 18 year old too many other choices that would work better. If the Beach house is on your list I think that is best from what I see here. I will see if I can find the names of the other properties in Laguna.
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

lvk:

You are good! Yes, I started a second thread, using California as a "topic", having received conflicting advice on how best to post inquiries. It has led to conflicitng replies

We really haven't narrowed down what we'll do because we haven't decided where we'll stay. If we stay in the Santa Monica or Westwood area, we'll visit UCLA and the Getty, the boys will bike or blade to Venice and we may very well take one of those Segway tours you suggested! The downside: not crazy about the urban "feel" and we can only stay for the first two nights that the business venture will pay for.

If we stay in Hermosa, I'm not sure what we'll do, other than bike/blade, eat and wander. The down side: travel time to DH's business (and anything else, like a possible studio tour)) and the "frat parties" you mentioned.

Now I'm second (and third) guessing our visit to the Dana Point/Laguna area. Although it sounds absolutely like a spot I'd love, our choice of hotels seems to dictate little for the boys to do without us driving them into Laguna.

We do a fair amount of traveling and like to enjoy the places we are visiting, but also appreciate the fact we are on vacation and don't want to overplan....we've done that before! And this is a little different because DH is working for a couple of the days. He's the one who really would most enjoy seeing the "star-studded" things! I saw that "its a wrap" that you suggested to someone else...that may very be a stop for us at some point! The boys are teens....they pretend to be bored doing anything, but really do love traveling and seeing new places. They go with the flow pretty well. I wish we had more time. Ironically, we'll be in the Monterrey area (for the third time in four years) in July, so we just can't tack anymore days onto this

Aaack!!!! DH and I will review all of this together this weekend and (hopefully) come up with a plan. I'LL TAKE ANY LAST WORDS OF ADVICE!!!! LOL!!!!!
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

MomDDTravel:

If you can suggest some other places to stay, that would be awesome (as my boys would say)! I really do like the original idea of the Laguna area, but think you may be right about the Marriott being too off-the-beaten-path for the boys.
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 12:17 PM
lvk

I think your idea of staying 2 days in Westwood and 3 in Hermosa (or Laguna, etc.) makes sense. For the 2 days in Westwood, you could drop DH off at his work location and take the car and explore-- maybe do a studio tour, the observatory, etc. For your 3 days at the beach, you can just enjoy some relaxing beach time.

Let us know once you decide for sure, and we can give you some restaurant recommendations.

Old Apr 26th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

lvk:

Every time I think I get my arms wrapped around the Westwood idea, I think BEACH....I should be closer to a beach. So, the debate continues. I'll let you know what we decide so I can pick your very knowledgable brain some more! You've really been a terrific resource and I thank you :0)
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 10:36 AM

Have you checked the Inn At Laguna Beach?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -