Search

Coin sorting machines in NYC

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2003, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coin sorting machines in NYC

Hello.

I am wondering if anybody has seen any of those machines where you can throw in all your coins and it will then tally it up and give you dollar bills in exchange??? I haven't seen any around but have collected so much change that the thought of hand counting it is very daunting. Please let me know if you have seen any of these machines around and where they are?

Cheers!
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 05:19 PM

Yeah, I've seen 'em at grocery stores like Food Emporium. I can't recall an exact location at the moment, however, but they're definitely around. As you shop for groceries, look around the check-out area. You'll find one. I believe the tariff is 8-10%. Ouch.

Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 05:36 AM

Food Emporium in Union Square has 3 of them. They do charge a fee of almost 9% for the transaction, but to me that is worth the time saved.

PS: If you are going to the one in Union Square, you might want to make a few trips. The machine prints out a receipt which you can either use to buy groceries or get cash at the "courtesy" desk. Fair warning: if you have more than $50, expect the customer service associate to get really crabby with you.
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 08:22 AM

Try Commerce Bank. There are only a few in NYC, but give them time and they will be everywhere. They have a machine called "Penny Arcade" that counts coins - at no charge - and for their customers or noncustomers. A plug for them - they often go the extra mile for their customers, open late, open on Sundays, no ATM fees at all, and red lollipops up for grabs at the counter!
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 09:11 AM

See coinstar.com for locations