Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Coast drive from Oregon to San Francisco in winter?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 2005, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We plan on doing this trip sometime but wonder if winter would be a bad time. Storms in Oregon would actually be a big plus for us, but not day after day of cloudy gloom. Anyone done this drive in Jan or Feb? What are the best months? Thanks for any help.
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 08:13 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I think it's great in winter - very atmospheric. Storms are a possibility, horizontal rain another. Expect drippy and misty in the Redwoods, also in character. I would wait as long as possible (late Feb?) mainly because longer daylight will enhance the experience.
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 11:58 AM

I agree with the former post. The 13 miles north of Jenner (CA)...from Fort Ross on, is a spectacular drive. I think they must film some of the automobile commercials there where you see the car winding around on a twisting road.
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 12:34 PM

How long do you have? Where would you start?
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for replies. We could travel either north or south and take a week or 2, depending how many places we decide to stop. I have not researched it all but will definately spend some time on Oregon coast first (we have been to Canon Beach before and love it) and then make leisurely drive. Have never been to CA coast area north of San Francisco, except on Amtrak.
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 01:31 PM

I agree with the others.

The Mile-by-Mile guide to Hwy 101 is handy to have. It is available free at www.traveltheoregoncoast.com.

Northern California also holds many delights, including the drive from the border to Eureka, Ferndale, the Redwoods, the headlands at Mendocino, and Highway 1 to San Francisco.
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 06:51 PM

From Ferndale I suggest getting to the Redwoods via Cape Mendocino and Petrolia, unless it's stormy.
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 05:47 PM

narrow windy road, steep drops, not many safety rails. Not for the faint of heart going south. I would suggest you drive NORTH (on the inside lane), but then I have a crippling fear of being about five hundred feet above nothing when rounding a curve. Even after growing up in the Alps. Or maybe because of it.
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Chefotto, good point about going north. I much prefer the inside lane. Thanks all.
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 01:20 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
...narrow windy road, steep drops, not many safety rails. Not for the faint of heart going south...

Are we talking about 101 or the Lost Coast road mentioned just above? 'Cause if you're referring to 101 it's a different road than the one I've driven so many times. Or maybe you're referring to Calif. Hwy 1, which is twisty and edgy here and there, but mostly not, either.
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 01:24 PM

I was talking about the road that goes Ferndale, Capetown, Petrolia, Honeydew, South Fork.
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 08:02 PM

Well, I was talking about the Highway 1, not 101. They do converge. Look at a map and see if you want to do the COAST.

Either going south or north, Highway 1 beween Jenner and Fort Ross (13 miles)is a spectacular drive. I do it all of the time because I own property at Timber Cove, three miles north of Fort Ross..and have relatives who live at Sea Ranch, in Gualala.

If you are afraid, then definitely take the northern route, where you are on the "inside"of the "drop off".

But, in any case, do not miss this trip.

Old Dec 12th, 2005, 06:43 AM
GP

Hi susan4

Let me add my 2 cents about the road we here in Humboldt county call the wildcat. I do not know how many times Michael has driven the road to Petroila in winter. We try to do it yearly but can not always go because it washes out quite often. In the last 10 years it has been closed at least 5 times for more than a week. However it is a beautiful road it is my faviorite drive in Humboldt County. To sat the least it is very narrow, winding and steep. In the winter there is often snow at the top of the pass before you drop down into Humboldt Redwoods State Park. It is about 100 miles round trip from Ferndale. Only the last 8 miles are there any redwoods. This is along bull creek through Rockerfeller forest. A must stop if you visit. You can get to rockerfeller forest off of 101. Here is a link about the park http://www.humboldtredwoods.org/
If you have more questions about the north coast I'll be happy to help. Redwoods are my hobby.

Have Fun
GP