Road trip North of San Francisco

Old Jun 20th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road trip North of San Francisco

We are flying into San Francisco and heading north through the Redwoods and to Klamath Falls for a visit with friends. We have 5 nights and do not want to spend any time in San Francisco. We've planned to spend our first night in Gaberville, but are open to other suggestions. We would like to stop in Mendocino on our way home. We would appreciate any suggestions as to where to stop for overnights and driving times on our way North. We are also open to any suggestions for the trip back .
Thank you.
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 01:43 PM

Klamath Falls, Oregon is quite a ways inland. Do you perhaps mean Klamath, California, which is on the coast near Crescent City? Just wondering so I can make better suggestions.
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Actually, it is Klamath Falls Oregon. Our friend is encouraging us to go there for the visit, but I was concerned about the distance. We thought that if we go North along the coast, and then back to San Francisco on highway 5, it might be doable. We appreciate any advice.
Thanks.
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 02:27 PM

If you're going to take I-5 south at the end of the trip, then wouldn't it make sense to stop in Mendocino on the way up since it's out on the coast? Or were you planning to go back out to the coast futher south on the way back?

As far as other places to stop on the way up, I really enjoyed the village of Trinidad when I did a road trip from Seattle to SF and back recently. You should also plan to spend a night or two on the Oregon coast if you have time--there's a fantastic lodge in Gold Beach OR called Tu Tu Tun Lodge. Are you staying at the Benbow Inn in Garberville? I stayed there on my trip--cute place.
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 02:56 PM

The Best Western in Garberville doesn't look look like much, but the rooms are large and quiet. The night we stayed there it rained and somebody suggested we drive a few miles to a well-established steakhouse. It was a lot of fun. We sat next to a very gregarious over-the-hill rounder and his "girlfriend."

Mendocino is a lovely little town (East of Eden was filmed there). You will enjoy walking the streets and, especially, the wonderful headlands. Too bad everything is so wildly overprice there.

Old Jun 21st, 2007, 04:08 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd stay in either Little River/Mendocino, the Benbow Inn in Garberville, or in Trinidad on the first night. Then on the south Oregon Coast (lots of options) the next two nights, Klamath Falls on night 4 (or 4 and 5 if you want to visit longer w/ your friend) and then down I-5 to SF.

As you can see - even using I-5 one way, 5 days is not very long for this trip.
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 04:45 PM

Gosh, it will be a long drive. From Garberville to Klamath Falls over Hwy 299 (to Redding) is curvy through the moutains. Once you get to Redding, it is fairly smooth sailing. It will take about 6-7 hours with no sightseeing stops. Be sure to get gas for the car in Weed as there is not much until Klamath Falls. Ok, there is Dorris, but I wouldn't want to stop there unless it was an emergency.

I love the Ave. of the Giants. It is so cool. I have spent an entire day travelling from Ukiah to Eureka.

Do you have to fly to San Francisco? Personally, I would fly to Sacramento go to Garberville via Clear Lake or Napa Valley bypassing the traffic for The Bay Area and Santa Rosa. I live outside Sacramento, have a vacation home in Sunriver (Bend,OR) and have family that lives in Windsor and Ukiah. I have travelled these roads for many years.

Have you been to Klamath Falls before? Please do not expect much. As my brother, who used to live in Klamath Falls says, it has seen better days. Visiting a friend is always fun, through.

Have fun.

Old Jun 21st, 2007, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the information. I think we will either stay in Mendocino or Gaberville for the first night. (still not sure which place to choose) - possibly a night in Trinidad and then a night on the Oregon coast. After that, we'll spend two nights with our friends in Klamath Falls and straight to the airport for a 100:00 p.m. flight to L.A. Does this sound OK? or does anyone have any other suggestions.
Thanks again.
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 07:53 PM

Unless you have your heart set upon staying a night on the Oregon Coast, the best route to take is Hwy 199 from Crescent City to Grant's Pass. On this route, you can stop at the Oregon Caves National Monument and also take some scenic back roads through Applegate and Jacksonville.

You don't say when you are doing this, but in the summer, it will be much warmer inland than on the coast.

By driving straight thru to SFO from Klamath Falls, you will miss some very scenic areas of California. If you took a couple of days, you could drive through Lava Beds National Monument, visit Burney Falls, and explore Lassen National Park. There's also a lot of scenic country around Mt. Shasta. So, it's a shame to just drive through.

Another option would be to fly into Portland and drive down the Oregon Coast and then over to Klamath Falls returning through Crater Lake and the Cascades.

Maybe you'll get to visit your friends again in the future.
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 09:55 PM

Why don't you reverse your trip, see your friends first, then head over to the coast and down?
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 11:50 PM

"Why don't you reverse your trip, see your friends first, then head over to the coast and down?"

Why?
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 07:31 AM

Because K falls will be a disapointment after the Redwoods, and the OP will be going DOWN the coast, which is always more enjoyable.
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion. It's funny, I had never thought of doing the trip in that direction. Also, it might be a good idea because the traffic might not be so bad going on the 5 north, rather than the 101 on a Sunday. I neeed to call my friends to see if the time works for them. Thanks again for the help. I'm still trying to decide whether to go to Mendocino.l
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 01:05 PM

Driving north on either highway should be fine on a Sunday. Most of the truck traffic takes the day off.

Hwy 101 from Ukiah to Leggett is not that interesting. If you have the time, take Hwy 1 through Mendocino and Fort Bragg. But, to do it right, you need to spend at least another day.
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 07:01 PM

Definitely go to Mendocino. It's a perfectly beautiful town set on the headlands over looking the ocean, with good galleries and restaurants, and many lovely places to stay. Best to make reservations early.
Cafe Beaujolais is one of the best restaurants in town. Enjoy!
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 03:20 PM

donnajo, you may have already made your plans as I see your post is a couple of weeks old. However, just in case...

We just got back from a visit to Mendocino. Yes, it is wildly overpriced, but it is still one of our favorite places in the world to visit and unwind. We go there 2 or 3 times a year. There are some fantastic restaurants in the area, and you can do as much or as little as you choose. Our favorite place to stay is the Joshua Grindle Inn. On our most recent visit we stayed in one of their "new" rooms - Lupe's Suite - and enjoyed having our own private sitting room and one of the coziest beds I've ever slept on.

At any rate, I'm curious as to what you decide to do.