City in North America for architecture buff

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend and I both turn 50 next year and are in the planning stages of a trip. She is a big architecture buff, which I also enjoy.

I am in charge of planning the trip and would like to choose the best city in North America to visit. She will not travel outside the country. I have been to both New York and San Francisco and have suggested those as possibilities. The only city we aren't considering is Chicago - she has family there and has been there many times.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 12:31 PM

How about New Orleans? One of my favorite photographs we have taken from there was standing in the middle of Bourbon Street pointing the camera towards Canal (downtown). The buildings on either side are so full of history, and at the end of the street you see the modern, business areas. Then there are the courtyards and cemeteries to consider, too.
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 12:32 PM
GoTravel

Charleston, Savannah, Boston, St. Augustine.

Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 12:38 PM

Your friend won't travel outside the country, so it's safe to assume you're looking for the best city in the U.S. (not North America), right?

New Orleans, Seattle, Minneapolis-St. Paul, lots more. Really depends on what type of architecture you're most interested in - older houses, modern buildings, etc.
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 01:39 PM

PITTSBURGH!!! I love Pittsburgh PA. Lots of great architecture and a wonderful botanical garden also. Great views of the unique buildings from the many bridges. You can also go on two inclines (funiculars)that are across the river from downtown and get great views of the whole downtown.

Don't forget Henry Hobson Richardson's County courthouse and jail. The Alocoa building, the Union station rotunda, and many, many neat buildings.
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 01:55 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Do you want modern, cutting edge architecture?

Or preserved historic districts?

Or regional specialties (like adobes in the SW or rustic in the NW)?

Or mid-century modern?

Or Art deco/skyscrapers?

"Architecture" covers a LOT of territory . . . . .
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

I was wrong when I said she won't leave the country. We would consider a Canadian city and have discussed Quebec. She won't go to another continent.

I think both of us would agree on historic preservation districts, particularly beautiful homes, and if they have gardens, all the better. She is also very into gardening. We have both been to Ashville, NC and liked the art deco there so that is also a possibility. Neither of us cares much for modern architecture.

We have both been to Charleston, Savannah & St Augustine so we aren't considering those cities.
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 04:12 PM

You probably will not believe -- Columbus, Indiana -- I believe, that they have more public building including churches, etc., designed by leading architects than any other city. Even if she has lived there, I bet she has not really seen Chicago architecture. I bias -- my son is an Architectural/Design Engineer in Chicago.
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 04:15 PM
GoTravel

Miami is a wonderfully off the beaten path architectual city. From the Mizner mansions to Vizcaya to Art Deco South Beach to the Design District, it is eye candy.

Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

I do believe Columbus, IN - we live 20 miles from there. You are right, it is an impressive small city.

Had not considered Miami, but will do some more research. I have a close friend whose son lives in Miami Beach.
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 04:41 PM

I didn't know about Columbus! Gonna look that up.
Charleston. I agree about Chicago. That's big city architecture there.
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 04:54 PM
GoTravel

http://www.historical-museum.org/exh...es/gables2.htm

http://www.artcircuits.com/c_dd.html (I could not find a good website for the design district that I liked but maybe you can find a better one; really cool buildings)

http://www.miamidade.gov/vizcaya/

http://www.architectureweek.com/2002...lture_1-1.html

Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 04:55 PM
GoTravel

Forgot to add that the Art Deco district of South Beach is one of the largest and most successful restoration projects in the United States.

Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 04:55 PM

How about Los Angeles and environs -modern (Neutra etc) and Arts & Crafts (Frank Lloyd Wright and Green & Green - Gamble House). Also Bungalow Heaven in Pasadena. Maybe schedule your visit during one of the yearly home tours, events. I'm sure others out there have more info on the LA architecture scene but I understand it is quite good.

Also some great gardens - Huntington art gallery and gardens, Descanso Gardens (incl. a recently redone Bodie House soon to be opened), LA Arboretum, Greystone.

You could also visit the Getty and some other world class museums.
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 04:56 PM
GoTravel

One last thing, Art Basel might be the best weekend you could go. It highlights the architecture along with it being one of the biggest art shows in the US. It is a citywide event.

Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 05:07 PM

What type of architecture?
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 05:11 PM

Rather than a single city, how about a region? The Hudson Valley for example.
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 05:12 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
L84SKY: "What type of architecture? " The OP basically answered that -- <<I think both of us would agree on historic preservation districts, particularly beautiful homes, and if they have gardens, all the better.>>
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 05:20 PM

thanks janisj, I shouldn't be multi-tasking.
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 05:21 PM

I vote for Quebec City, then south to Saratoga Springs, NY, then south to Albany.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -