Circle Line Cruise vs Staten Island Ferry

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our time in NYC is precious since we'll only be there for 4.5 days. I'd like to take the 2 hour Circle Line cruise, but the earliest cruise leaves at 11am, which really cuts into our scheduled day in Midtown and our eventual beer pub crawl in East Village We really just want to see the Statue of Liberty and the Manhattan skyline, though the narrative would be cool too.

I've searched other travel sights, and the opinion between the two is split down the middle. Pros and cons would be great. Thank you in advance.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 10:19 AM

If time is tight, and the view is the most important part, The Staten Island Ferry is perfect.
About one hour round trip, FREE, and runs day and night(so you can go very early or very late if you want). On the way out you get a good view of the Staute of liberty, and the return trip approach offers a nice panorama of lower Manhattan
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 10:38 AM

The Staten Island ferry doesn't go near the SOL. YOu're looking at it from a distance. If what you want is a photo op and you have a zoom lens, I suppose it doesn't matter.

Circle Line has several different cruises each day of different lengths including their Beast or Shark cruise which is only 30 mins. There are also other cruise cos. you could use that get close to the SOL at various hrs.
nywaterway.com
nywatertaxi.com
shearwatersailing.com
sail-nyc.com

I don't understand why the big decsion if you're here for 4-5 days?
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the suggestions!

Our time is pretty tight since we have commitments with friends on 2 of the evenings and a Yankee game we're going to another evening. So we're trying to pack in as much as we can during the day.

One last question (about this subject at least) is what is considered morning 'rush hour' on the SI Ferry?
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 11:02 AM

Instead of going in the morning, I'd suggest going at night. That way the Statue is shinning and so are the lights of the city. I suggest to friends coming into town to take the ferry over just at dusk, so the lights of the city are coming up on the way back into Manhattan.

Actually the SI ferry goes quite close to the SOL, so you really do get a good view.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 11:18 AM
dmlove

Actually the SI ferry goes quite close to the SOL

I've been on it, and I have to agree with mclaurie, it isn't all that close. Obviously, the distance is in the eye of the beholder.

Old Sep 10th, 2008, 12:13 PM

I'm not sure when you are going, but if the NYC Waterfalls are still up Circle Line has a 30 minute (ours went for almost an hour - nice bonus!) cruise that will get you up close to the SOL and gives you a beautiful view of the skyline. There are many free tickets given out per day, but if you can't get them the cost is only $10. We went at night - lovely! Check the Circle Line downtown cruise site for details.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Unfortunately, our sightseeing is restricted to the daylight hours as we already have firm plans in the evening for all 4 nights we're there.

I checked out the NY Waterway tours and they have a 90 minute skyline tour that starts at 10am which is perfect for us. An added bonus is that they have a free bus that goes to and from the dock.

Thank you all again for all your help!
Old Jan 16th, 2009, 05:28 AM

I think everyone who comes to NYC should take the circle line just forthe outstanding job they did rescuing people yesterday
Old Jan 16th, 2009, 06:43 AM

tinyteacup
and that's EXACTLY what i was going to say!!
what heroes!!
NYC should be proud!
Old Jan 16th, 2009, 08:33 AM

While the Circle Line may have had involvement, it was actually the nywaterway.com ferries that were first on the scene since they were right nearby and also set up triage areas at their terminal in Weehawken, NJ. Everyone did a phenomenal job yesterday.
Old Jan 16th, 2009, 08:51 AM

This photo sure looks like a Circle Line craft rescuing people:

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/200...ECRASH_11.html

Old Jan 16th, 2009, 10:06 AM

Not only the Circle line - several of the boats were trans-Hudson commuter ferries from New York Waterways. Passengers on their way to/fro work were helping haul plane passengers into the boats.
Old Jan 16th, 2009, 02:36 PM

http://photos.nj.com/jersey-journal/...d_plane_1.html
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 07:32 PM

I'm still in awe of the whole episode. The skill of the pilot and all the boats that were on the scene so quickly. Truly amazing how no one was really seriously injured or killed. Bouquets to all involved. NYC should feel justifiably proud.

This reply is probably way too late but just wanted to add my 2 cents worth.

I did the 'round the Island' trip with Circle line and would not recommend it. Other than downtown area there is not that much to see further up. However the worst part was the insistance of staff to take your photo before you boarded the boat. It seemed to take forever to get aboard - I didn't time it but I would not have been surprised if it was an hour or more.

I also found there wasn't much commentary.

I have done the Staten Is ferry and the one I caught didn't go that close to the Statue so I was a bit disappointed.

Personally I would recommend taking the ferry to Ellis Island. You get up really close and personal to the Statue and the Island itself is worth a visit. I did the audio self guide and found it really moving.