Christmas in NYC

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 05:33 AM
Amber

Christmas in NYC

My husband and I will be visiting NYC the week of Christmas. I was wondering if there are any must-do's in NYC at Christmas that are not available at other times of the year. I know the store windows, ice skating at Rockerfeller Plaza/Central Park, and the Christmas Spectacular at Radio City are all things we plan to do. Any other suggestions?

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 05:52 AM
Howard

Add the Nutcracker Ballet at Lincoln Center...perhaps the best production in the USA, if not the world!

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 07:45 AM
Michelle

You will really love New York at Christmas time. It's simply beautiful in every respect. The vibe in the city is just great! Make sure you go to St. Patrick's as they have it decorated very nicely. Just walk up and down 5th Avenue! It can't be beat!

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 07:50 AM
gc

A couple of years ago I was on a long term project in Manhattan. One evening, the week before Christmas, we were walking past the Christmas tree in Rockefeller Center, returning from dinner in a snow flurry. Someone spontaneously started singing "I'll be Home for Christmas", and before he had finished the first bar, about a dozen strangers joined in.

New York at Christmas can be magical. Just soak it in.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 08:19 AM
Pamela

I hope that you already got your tickets to the Christmas Spectacular. We went a couple of years ago and got our tickets in April. I heard they sell out pretty fast.
It was an awesome show!

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 09:45 AM
Ellen

There is a very nice craft show and a Christmas laser light show at Grand Central Station. You should see the station anyway (renovation is complete). The craft show runs from about Thanksgiving to Christmas. There are Christmas carolers at the South Street Seaport, and a beautiful medieval christmas tree at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Last year we got lucky and Patrick Stewart did an amazing reading of a Christmas Carol at the Theater at Madison Square Garden. Keep your eyes open for advertising and tickets should he come back this year--worth every dime. There are also a lot of special concerts at Lincoln Center and Carnegie Hall around that time of year, but they would not be advertised yet. For example, Linda Eder (of Jekyl & Hyde fame) did a Christmas Concert for a few nights, as has Audra McDonald (another broadway diva), and many others.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 10:12 AM
Steve

I wanted to jump in and ask what part of Manhattan is the most interesting/beautiful to stay in during the Chrismas/New Year time. Thank you.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 10:41 AM
Sharon

I agree that Christmas time in NYC is wonderful. Lots of good suggestions here, and I agree-- just wander around and enjoy it. I'd recommend scouring the Village Voice for interesting goings-on that are less well know than the show at Radio City, etc. Lots of churches (like St. John the Divine) have free christmas concerts-- they will be less touristy and have a more local flavor. Venture to the more residential neighborhoods of Manhattan and to the other boroughs to check out the way those of us who live here really enjoy the season-- if you take a city bus out to Bay Ridge and Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, you will be rewarded will some truly amazing (over the top!) decorations. Enjoy.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 10:46 AM
Lanai

The Radio City Christmas Spectacular featuring the famous Rocketts is a show not to be missed. The Christmas Carol at Madison Square Garden and The Nutcracker Ballet at Lincoln Center. The Metropolitan Opera also has a magnificent venue. The beautifully adorned largest Macy's at Herald Square (34th St bet 6th & 7th Ave). New York City is a glorious city that sparkles and amazes us all.

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 12:24 AM
traveler

Excellent Responses!