Reload this Page >

Christmas dinner in Seattle with family

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 2004, 06:23 PM
jetset1

I went a little crazy and decided a football game the day after Christmas would be a good present for my three guys.. dilemna now is, since we'll need to travel on Christmas, where would be a good place to have dinner in the city? My kids are 10 and 15, and like seafood or anything which isn't too exotic. Waterfront perhaps? We're thinking of 7-ish, after recovering from a three hr. flight. Thanks much, J.

Old Dec 5th, 2004, 07:34 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Many restaurants are closed, so look here, also at the Pacific NW board at chowhound.com
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/food/201722_dining01.html

Pitch dark (probably raining too) at 7 PM on the waterfront, so take note.

Which hotel?
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 10:11 PM
jetset1

Thanks Gardyloo~ I have the choice between Mariott Waterfront or the Edgewater. Is there another hotel you'd recommend over these two? J.

Old Dec 6th, 2004, 06:13 AM

Actually the Fish Club at the Marriott is one of the places mentioned in the newspaper article (link I pasted.)

Do your kids like Chinese food? If so, there will be plenty happening in the International District/Chinatown area (south end of downtown). In fact, if you like seafood, some of the best and freshest fish going is to be found at the Chinese places. Bit of a tradition for some of us.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 08:57 AM
jetset1

Gardyloo.. what about breakfast the next morning, more of a "before game brunch?" (We may opt to skip a big dinner and just have appetizers on the evening of the 25th. Flying seems to diminish appetites). Any place we should try that's extra good? Do you think we should try another hotel or would the Marriott be a safe bet? Thanks, J.

Old Dec 6th, 2004, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anytime I've gone (with son) to see either the Seahawks or Mariners, I've wished I had allowed us more time before the game to experience the atmosphere: the crowded, noisy restaurants, the street vendors hawking food, souvenirs, and team paraphernalia. With a 1:00pm game time, I'd be planning a 10:00am (or maybe even earlier) "brunch" at a restaurant near the stadium. Sorry, no specific recommendations (I'm from Portland; what do I know?).

What a nice surprise! Have a great time.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 10:50 AM

Directly above the Marriott (up stairs/elevator) is the Pike Place Market. There are many good places for breakfast at the market, plus you can enjoy the morning bustle of the place, even though some vendors don't open on Sundays (but may do since all will be closed Sat.) For first time visitors, I'd have to recommend the Athenian Inn, an old-time restaurant with good breakfasts, right in the main market arcade. Wait for a window booth overlooking the waterfront. (Rent Sleepless in Seattle - scene with Tom H and Rob R eating - that's the place.)

Then any of the city buses running south on 1st Ave. will take you to the football mob in seconds. Walk back to the hotel after the game.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 03:02 PM
jetset1

Gardyloo.. Is there any place besides the usual Bon Marche and Nordy's for good after Christmas sales? I'll be hitting the stores on the 27th. I've been there before, but wanted to know some of your favorite apparel shops in the city. Thanks again for your invaluable advice.
Beachbum, thank you as well!

Old Dec 6th, 2004, 06:37 PM

The Bon is now Macy's, so seen one, seen all...

Eddie Bauer, REI coop, plus the usual chains - pretty typical post Christmas scene. Check out the Pike market, Pioneer Sq. and the International District for more small-shop choices in the downtown area; Ballard, Fremont and Capitol Hill for a wider range.
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 12:56 PM

Hi jetset 1! I've been in Santa Barbara and just saw your post. We stayed at the Edgewater Hotel for three nights one summer and really enjoyed it.

The property is located right on the water, very gorgeous views from all over the place. Your kids will love watching the jelly fish swim right under the window of the lobby.

Get a panoramic water view. Our room came with breafast each am in the Six Seven which was wonderful. There is an excellent hotel shuttle that tooks us everywhere. We didn't use our car in three days.

Take your kids to Salty's on Alki Beach for the coconut prawns, excellent! Enjoy Seattle, it's a gorgeous place. ***kim***
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 03:19 PM

jetset1 you might want to look into the Hotel Andra, very central location downtown.

I've stayed at the Marriott waterfront, it's nice and it is on the trolley line which can dump you into Pioneer square for the game but if you are walking around elsewhere in the winter it isn't as central as others.

Remember that you are near the International District, all restaurants there are open on Christmas! And Lola in the Hotel Andra probably is.

Fish Club is good but it's pricey! Be aware.

For breakfast before the game you can also check in see if the Crocodile Cafe is open- they serve breakfast and the boys might like it for the history of hosting the original grunge bands. Or the hotel should be able to let you know what Pioneer Square cafes are serving breakfast- the boys would probably love being in the hubbub of all the activity!