6 days in California

Old Nov 28th, 2004, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6 days in California

We arrive in San Francisco in the evening, have six full days, and leave out of Los Angeles in the morning. We wamt to drive the coast,but since we have only six full days, we want to make the most of it. We have two kids, ages 8 and 10. Does anyone have any suggestions for an itinerary? The two things we must include are Alcatraz and Disney Land. Thank you!
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 07:18 AM

It's been quite a few years since we were there, but I have definite memories of what we liked and disliked about the coastal trip.

First, ask yourself what being confined to a car will be like for your kids. Some kids start acting up and the ride becomes unpleasant.

Second, decide who will drive. I was the driver on our trip, so my wife and mother got to see all the splendid scenery, while I had to watch the road. They enjoyed it more than I. It's true that there are scenic turnouts, but on our trip the traffic was very heavy, and if you turned off to catch the view, you could be trapped for hours.

My inclination would be to drive down the most scenic portion of the route (don't forget to take some time to cross the bridge and see the shore north of SF), then to turn in the rental car at SLO or Santa Barbera (SB is something you might want to see) and take the coastal train for the rest of the way; on the train you will all get to see the views, and there will be room for your kids to move around a little.
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 08:55 AM

With 6 full days, I would spend 1-2 in SF, 3 on the road, and 1-2 in LA.

If you are travelling in late spring, summer or early fall, then I would definitely schedule a stop in Santa Cruz. You can stop for a few hours on the drive from SF to Monterey since that drive is only 2 1/2 - 3 hours. The Boardwalk in Santa Cruz is a lot of fun, esspecially for the kids. The wharf is nice too. If it is late fall, winter, or early spring, then I would probably skip Santa Cruz since the Boardwalk and other things are likely to be closed.

Either way, I would overnight in the Monterey area, then devote the next day to driving down the Big Sur coast, overnighting around San Luis Obispo.

In Monterey, the Monterey Bay Aquarium is really great. I think something the whole family would enjoy. Another really fun thing is to take a boat tour from Fisherman's wharf. They have a bunch of them, some for an hour or so, some for longer. If you are in the area in the winter, the monarch butterflies winter in the area and there is a great place to see them in Pacific Grove. And of course, there is the spectacular coastline and some good beachcombing beaches.

For the drive down through Big Sur, there are several state parks with some nice short hikes and good places to picnic. This would get everyone out of the car, give the kids a chance to run around and get out some energy.

Hearst Castle is really interesting, but I think your kids may be too young to enjoy it. Basically it's a tour where you can't touch anything and have to stay with your group. As an adult I find the place facinating, but I remember going as a kid and being bored stiff - LOL.

The drive from San Luis Obispo to LA is about 3 hours, so you could drive straight through and have that afternoon in LA, or you could stop along the way. Santa Barbara and Ventura are nice stops.
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 09:19 AM

What time of year?
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 03:22 PM

I'll second the suggestion for Santa Barbara. We just returned from a three day trip there. Loved it, loved it, loved it!! Palm trees, dolphins, the ocean, lots of yummy lobster on Stearn's Wharf, great shops on State Street.

Also, lots of wonderful places to dine. We were very impressed with Santa Barbara and I'm glad we chose it for our anniversary destination. They have a zoo there also, mamasue! ***kim***