Christmas Day NYC w/Yorkshire Pudding

Sep 27th, 2007, 12:09 AM
Original Poster

Christmas Day NYC w/Yorkshire Pudding

We'd like to spend Christmas Day in Manhattan, but my family wants our traditional meal - roast beef and Yorkshire Pudding. Any great ideas? Thanks -- this is key to the success of the day.
Sep 27th, 2007, 05:16 AM

Don't think I can help with the Manhattan part, but I spend every Christmas dinner enjoying Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudding. Made me smile just to read that. Have a Merry Christmas!
Sep 27th, 2007, 06:53 AM

I'm sure this is possible but not that many restaurants are open on Christmas, and the tradition here for going out is actually Chinese.

Prime rib is easy to find, but Yorkshire pudding not so much. You might want to look at some of the more traditional restaurants in Manhattan, perhaps Oscar's in the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel. Sorry I can't give a better recommendation. Tea & Sympathy, an English tea shop/restaurant down in the Village might have it. I think you're going toh ave to do some research and keep an open mind.
Sep 27th, 2007, 09:25 AM

Have never seen Yorkshire pudding on a menu in the US - so I think you may have to forego that part.

If you go to opentable.com it will listthose restaurants that are open on Christmas- and you can use meupages.com to check the actual menus to see what they offer.

(A search of menupages.com did not list any restaurants offering Yorkshire pudding, but did list 14 "English" restaurants. You could search their menus one by one to look for it - but be sure they open on Christmas.
Sep 27th, 2007, 09:41 AM
dmlove

Interesting. House of Prime Rib (an institution here in San Francisco) serves Yorkshire Pudding.

Sep 27th, 2007, 09:50 AM

Probably the closeset "bread" you will find to Yorkshire Pudding here would be popovers. If you can't find it served at a restaurant, perhaps you can find some at a local bakery and bring it along with you, of course explaining to the restaurant why, makes for a fun holiday story.

Have a wonderful time while you are here.
Sep 27th, 2007, 09:59 AM

A little snooping for you and I may have found a good suggestion. The Bull and Bear at the Waldorf IS open on Christmas and offers Prime Rip AND popovers, not inexpensive, but hey it is Christmas and it's a very nice restaurant.

I found it on www.opentable.com and you can make a reservation online.

Hope this helps.
Sep 27th, 2007, 10:34 AM

Hi dmlove, I was thinking of the House of Prime Rib also. Actually I have Yorkshire Pudding over the years at several SF/Bay Area restaurants. But most of them have closed down.

Hello jgmc, I hope you are able to find a wonderful restaurant for your Christmas Day dinner. Growing up we always had roast beed and Yorkshire Pudding. And Plum Pudding for one of the desserts.

Sep 27th, 2007, 10:46 AM

You don't mention budget, but if that's not an issue, you might find what you want at Gordon Ramsey's restaurant in the London NYC hotel. There are a handful of other English restaurants like the Spotted Pig, Tea & Sympathy or A Salt & Battery that might also serve it. Agree it's the Yorkshire pudding that's the hard part. Roast beef is easy to find. The Rock Center Cafe overlooking the ice rink at Rockefeller Center is a quintessential (and busy/crowded) NYC place and they have roast beef on their regular menu.
Sep 27th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Wow. Thanks everyone. Your thoughtfulness has put me in the Christmas spirit.
Sep 27th, 2007, 01:18 PM

Salt and Battery is strictly fish and I have seen Yorkshire pudding there with no table service.

Try UK New York on Warren Street.

Try Keen's Chop House.

Also there is Myer's of Keswick. They are not a restaurant but a purveyor of English foods and might know which restaurant serves Yorkshire pudding.
Sep 27th, 2007, 01:19 PM

Sorry I have NOT seen yorkshire pudding at Salt & Battery.