Search

Christmas Cards

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 03:05 PM
Ali25

Christmas Cards

I'll bet this may be a "first"!
We always try to buy Christmas cards from a place that we have visited that year to share the "lay of the land" that we visited to our friends & family when we send our Christmas cards each year. I have no idea just where to start in looking for either pictures of the mountains - or even particularly whimsical and fun ones. Local Washington or Oregon artists might also be an option. I have worked in retail for years, but this one has me stumped. Thanks for any ideas!

Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This idea may be too late for you this year (since you probably have already completed your travel), but next time why don't you take a family photo in front of a destination landmark and have your cards made using the picture. Just one idea.

But are you looking for cards specifically with Washington State or Oregon landscapes? If so, you might want to repost with a more specific title.

Good luck and happy holidays

Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 03:39 PM

The Made In Oregon and Made In Washington stores carry some great cards. There are beautiful mountain scenes as well as the whimsical styles. I usually buy my cards at the paper/card store at Sunriver and at REI.
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 03:41 PM

How cool is that to have stores called "Made in Washington", etc. That's clever.
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 06:42 PM

I have picked out favorite photos (best with people)from trips and had theme cards (snow, tropical, whatever) printed out at photo shops (any drugstore, Target, just about all of them)for very little cost. People seem to like them--better than yet another Santa or angel, or worse, a horrible letter extolling (lying) about the family's year!
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 06:48 PM

our best "Christmas photo" was of a snow man made of sand in Cancun. Everyone loved it and you should have seen the customs officer when he found in my luggage a black hat, gloves and a scarf - right next to my bathing suit in my luggage!
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 06:54 PM

Ali, you can send for A Made in Oregon catalogue. Email address is: cataloguemadeinoregon.com. Maybe they will have some Christmas cards that would interest you. Best wishes.
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 07:54 PM

LoveItaly--I should check out that site even though I live here. Might make my shopping faster and easier. I ran out of cards last year and ran to the MIO store and found the best ones. They were a play on the 12 Days of Christmas, but a PNW version, such as three hiking hikers, or eight salmon swimming, etc.
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 04:27 AM
Ali25

WOW - so many great ideas from everyone. Thanks! I'm not so sure about the photo of us, though...that might be scary! HA!

Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 06:17 AM

Just download the following site: www.webshots.com. It's free and you can download 4 fotos per day free of a great variety of pictures. I use them as slide projection on my computer.Paul
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 11:31 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I was just on this website looking at Holiday gifts for my office to send.

www.madeinwashington.com

(message from Seattle)
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 02:59 PM

Hi mms, this is the first time today Fodor's has "allowed" me to log in and post..I am beginning to take it personal, LOL.

Regarding Christmas cards. Since you live where you do have you checked out Farmer Markets around your area for wonderful Christmas cards? I was at one in Portland, east side, with my family in October and there was a table with the most beautiful Christmas cards which had been made by a (very handsome may I add) Italian. My stepson teased his wife and I and said we would not have purchased so many if this fellow hadn't been so handsome and charming (too true, LOL) but they really were beautiful and did not cost much more than buying Hallmark cards.
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 03:43 PM

LoveItaly--I had not thought about that...great idea! The Saturday market probably will be having some pretty soon as well.
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 09:09 PM

The cards from this site: http://www.linneadesign.com are what I would call whimsical and fun. Art, not photos. No obvious Seattle themes such as leaping salmon wearing Santa hats or carolers holding steaming mugs of latte... but from a Seattle company, so that might fit your local artists idea. I haven't bought the cards yet but I buy the Linnea poster calendar every year.