Reload this Page >

Choosing Chicago Hotel Area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 06:30 PM
Dan

I'm getting ready to book a hotel for October in Chicago. I would like to use Priceline or even Hotwire, but I'm having a bit of a dilemma. I would like to stay near/in the theater district, but I'm afraid of bidding the "South Michigan Ave-Loop" district because if I "win" a hotel that is WAY south, I may run into transportation problems during late evening hours. Some say that bus service is limited and the subway is not the best place for an out-of-towner during late-night. Also I have been told that this area "shuts down" after 5 pm and can be fairly desolate. I'd prefer not to end up in a real tourist-y area, but am I better off bidding North Michigan Ave? Or are the 4* hotels that have been won so far on PL (Hilton Chicago, Hilton Palmer House, W City Center, Fairmont, Hotel Monaco, and Hotel Burnham) far enough North that I can walk/bus back to the hotel after a play? I realize that there is no definite answer to this, but I would like to hear people's opinions. Thank you.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 07:51 PM
ho

The Palmer House, certainly -the others are a little farther from the theater district

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 08:44 PM
pj

If you bid 4* on priceline your odds are you will get Palmer House or Hilton Towers.
The Hotel Burnham my personal favorite is a long shot. It is the best location for theater.
I would use priceline bid 4* south michigan ave. The farthest south you could possible be is Hilton Towers.
All the hotels you listed would be fine.
A few a short taxi ride. PJ

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 03:59 AM
KristenP

Sorry for my ignorance, but where exactly is the theater district? What streets loosely border it, etc.?

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 06:04 AM
Kris

Kristen, I'm not sure of the technical definition of the theater district but the Oriental, Palace and Noble Fool are on Randolph between Wells and State, the Goodman is on Dearborn between Lake and Randolph and the Shubert is on Monroe between State and Dearborn. So I guess the boundaries would be between Lake and Monroe and Wells and State.

Dan, I think you would be fine at any of those hotels but I think you would want to take a cab rather than public transportation. The Palmer House is close to the Shubert and you should be OK walking to the other theaters, the others would either be walkable or a short cab ride that would be around $5. I don't think I would walk to the Hilton Towers late at night.

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 06:28 AM
Dan

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far, this has been helpful. I had an idea that I want to run by you all - - let me know if you think this is right:

I can bid on PL for South Michigan Ave-the Loop and bid only for a boutique-level hotel. So far, the only boutique that seems to be won is the Allegro, which would be a perfect location. Now, If I bid for Boutique, can PL decide to put me in a 4* instead and give me the Hilton Towers? . . .please bear with me while I try to get a handle on this!

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 06:48 AM
JTAYLOR

Dan, you have the right idea, but when you place that "Boutique" bid, read everything very carefully to make sure that PL is not giving you "boutique or better". Your first bid might be ok, but watch the "free re-bids" this is where they might do you the big favor of an "upgrade" (yeah, like you would consider the Hilton Towers an up grade over the Allegro that you were really trying for!! - I guess that's PL's idea of being funny.

BTW, does anyone know of a website where you can book boutique hotels at a discount? I tried hotrooms.com and quickbook.com, they are good, but ...........

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 07:14 AM
cece

Check www.biddingfortravel.com for an idea of what others have gotten on Priceline.

I am heading to Chicago in a week and bid for a 4 * on North Michigan Avenue. I got the Westin Hotel Chicago at 909 N. Michigan Avenue.