chicago trip

Old Apr 29th, 2005, 01:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chicago trip

I am from downstate Illinois and planning a Chicago trip which includes a play at the ApolloChicago theater.....now the problem is booking a affordable room in an out-lying area and taking the metra in to downtown...I have no idea how to do this...I would so appreciate any help at all.............thanks
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 02:34 AM

Why do you want to do this (as opposed to staying in Chicago) and what do you consider affordable? Also, when are you going? You might be surprised at how affordable hotel rooms in Chicago can be, especially using priceline. Depending on the date, I've gotten 4* rooms in the Loop and Michigan Ave. areas for $60-$75/night using priceline.

Even this coming weekend we're staying at the Palmer House for $129. Could have done better using priceline certainly, but MIL really wanted the Palmer House.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 05:03 AM

The most convenient transportation to the Apollo is the Red Line on the El. Get off at the Fullerton stop and you have about a half-mile walk. The metra doesn't go to the area; you'd have to take a bus or cab.

All the CTA transit lines connect to the Red Line, so, with your idea of staying in the suburbs, you could look for a place in Oak Park, near O'Hare, or in Evanston. However, you'll save a lot of time by looking closer to the theatre. choosechicago.com has a location map of hotels; tripadvisor.com has reviews of the hotels, and transitchicago.org has CTA train maps and schedules.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 05:44 AM
JJ5

If I were going to the Apollo, I would definitely stay downtown. The trek can be adventurous enough without adding more traffic/train rides into the factor.

If you bid 4 star on Priceline- River area/ Michigan Ave. you almost aways get the Swissotel or Hyatt on the River.
I've gotten it for $65 on the weekends. There is just too many deals out there not to stay downtown.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 05:58 AM

When we went to the Apollo this winter, we stayed in the Loop at the Palmer House Hilton (got it through Priceline for $65) The red line stops right in front of the Palmer House. The streets were full of people at the Fullerton stop so we felt safe coming & going to the show.