Reload this Page >

Chinese food on Christmas night

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 03:03 PM
Pam

Help..we need suggestions for a good-great chinese restaurant for dinner on Christmas. There will be 7 of us. We are looking in San Francisco-Berkeley-Oakland area.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 03:36 PM
You'llShoot

I wish I could help.
I'm just wondering if you've seen the movie "A Christmas Story". They have Christmas dinner in a Chinese restaurant.

'tis the season to be jorry, fa ra ra ra ra...

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 03:44 PM
Sherry

That movie is what I thought of, as well.

As far as Chinese goes for a nice dinner on Christmas, have you looked into Tommy Toy's? It's the nicest one I can think of... pricey, but GORGEOUS, yummy, and completely worth it. I don't know if they are open that day, but I'd try there first.

www.tommytoys.com

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 03:56 PM
Faina

Tonga room, not chinese but the food is close, and the place is wonderful!

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 03:57 PM
frances

My husband is Chinese and we have been to many restaurants and have decided that Great Chinese might not exist, but there is good and there is bad and sometimes it just depends on what you order.

There is very homey-authentic, upscale and expensive, or fresh and clean, but usually nothing to write home about.

Blah blah. To get to the point, I have not been to Tommy Toys but I know it is popular for more upscale meals or business dinners and lunches.

There is a place in Berkeley right next to the California Theater--I forgot the name--it is small, but the food is good.

In Alameda--there is a place called East Ocean Seafood that has very good food (not just seafood) and they have a lot of set-menu banquets that are great for parties. I have had several parties there and have always been pleased with the food. It is on Webster St in Alameda quite near the tunnel.

In Oakland, Tsing Tao, on Broadway near Jack London square is usually quite good.

In SF, I like R&G on Kearny.

Good Luck!

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 03:58 PM
Frances

Forgot to mention, Shin-Shin or little Shin Shin on Piedmont in Oakland had a good rep. I have yet to find *the* dish there, but it is decent.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 04:27 PM
Frances

Ok--I checked. The place in Berkeley is Great China on Kitteridge. It is small, but has a good reputation. I've only been there once.

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 03:29 PM
Pam

Thanks to all for the suggestions..funny Little Shin Shin turned up..it's our neighborhood chinese restaurant however it's closed on Christmas. We seem to have some options now..Merry Christmas to all who celebrate it and to those of us who don't..a wonderful night of Chinese food.