Chicago - Ut oh - DId I do good?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going through the bazillion Chicago threads a couple of weeks ago and came across what I THINK (not sure now) was the most highly recommended architectural boat tour.

http://chicagoline.com/

I booked this one anyway, now I think I might have gotten it confused with another one. Does anybody know if I did good?

(not that I can do anything about it if I didn't)
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 06:43 PM

I've never personally heard of that company. The one I see mentioned here most often is the Chicago Architecture Foundation (CAF at www.architecture.org). That doesn't mean it's the best (or that it's not), just that it's mentioned often.

That said, this company's website looks fine. I'm positive you'll enjoy the tour, even if it's not the most often recommended!
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 07:56 AM

I've never heard of that line either but I'll echo the previous poster and say that although the CAF is the most mentioned, I've been on several other lines and they are all fine. The CAF is very heavy on facts and figures re: architecture, of course, but if you are not a real architecture junkie then I suspect you'll enjoy any of them and since you've already booked, just go and enjoy yourself, the scenery alone is worth it.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 12:08 PM

Joan, the tourguide on Chicago Lines, is a former CAF docent. I doubt that there is much difference between the two tours.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all. I hope there isn't much difference. I had gotten the tour companies mixed up. I had meant to book with the Chicago Architecture Foundation and booked it with this one instead.

They have a "No refund" policy so I'm pretty much locked in with them unless I want to eat the cost.

Patg - Thanks for the info about the tour guide. I do find that reassuring.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 03:05 PM

I have posted on this subject before. I am a local architect with lots of friends and family from out of town, so I've done these tours at least 12 times. I think the CAF tours are horrible. Most of the docents really do not know their facts, I've had them tell incorrect facts, and have seen them completely skip rows of significant buildings because they're trying to catch up on stuff they missed.

The Chicago Line tours are extremely professional and the guides are very knowledgeable. You'll have a great time on this tour! I'm glad that you booked incorrectly, and you will be too.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Patten. I'm wondering if maybe I have seen one of your previous post on this and that's why I had bookmarked The Chicago Line Tours. For me, this is the highlight of the trip. We've also purchased our King Tut/Field Museum Tickets and tickets for the Art Institute. Leaving in 2 days. I can't wait!