Chicago trip for 40th Birthday!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2013, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Headed to Chicago for 40th bday trip Sept 25-29th. Below is a list of places I want to go things I want to do, places to eat etc. Opinions on whether anything should be nixed off list, can I fit it all in? Anythign I should do that is not on the list?

As background the trip wil be me and my husband no kids! I used ot live in Chicago/Lakeview area but moved ot Florida in 2002 and have not been back since. Many of these things I have done before but wouild love to do again, others were outside my price range when I lived there but I always wanted to go. Staying at Sofitel Water Tower a couple of blocks off Michigan Avenue and plan to use EL for transport while in Chicago including to and from Midway, may take occasional taxi as well.

-Birthday dinner - Geja's Cafe (already have a special reservation for this)
-Rose Angelis in Lincoln Park for dinner another night (this used ot be my fav when I lived there)
-Want to do a steak dinner another night not sure where - need suggestions
-Want to hit Penny's Noodle Shop for lunch one day
-Also Geno's East Pizza and Heaven on Seven

-Plan shopping at least one full day
-half day trip to the spa- Looking at Assa Aveda Spa near Mich Avenue or MArio Tricoso (is this is as good as it used to be?) any better suggestions?
-Hubby not a museum fan so we are only spending one day at museum - I love them all but letting him choose which means we will probvably end up at Shedd Aquarium or Field Museuam
- Lincoln Park Zoo
- Cubs are not in town but White Sox are so we are thinking of combining trip to Chinatown in the afternoon and Sox game at night?

Any cool bars for cocktails? Any other suggestions? I know I am missing a few things I had pon my list but it is in my desk drawer at work : (
Old Sep 6th, 2013, 11:13 AM

Sounds fun!

For drinks: John Hancock's 96th floor lounge - awesome.
http://www.signatureroom.com/TheSignatureLounge
Old Sep 6th, 2013, 11:13 AM

Sounds fun!

For drinks: John Hancock's 96th floor lounge - awesome.
http://www.signatureroom.com/TheSignatureLounge
Old Sep 6th, 2013, 11:19 AM

wow, such a great tip I posted it twice! sorry. frickin' Fodors.
Old Sep 6th, 2013, 11:42 AM

The Lincoln Park Zoo is ok, but if it's just going to be you and DH, you can go to a zoo almost anywhere.

If you go to Chinatown and Cellular Field, be advised that the south branch of the Red Line is closed for construction through October and trains are rerouted. To reach Chinatown, you'll have to take a shuttle bus from Roosevelt to Cermak.

South of Roosevelt, Red Line Trains are following the Green Line elevated route to 63rd and Ashland. You can take the train to 35th/IIT and walk the extra two blocks to reach Cellular Field. You can find complete details on www.transitchicago.com.
Old Sep 6th, 2013, 01:25 PM

Hi, sunlover! How fun to return after all these years.

RE: The Zoo
On a nice weather day, combine the zoo with a walk along the new path around South Pond, north through the zoo to see the Conservatory and across to walk around North Pond. The Nature Walk is new as of two years ago (so will look very different to you), and the greenery looks gorgeous this time of year. If you do this on a Saturday/Wednesday morning, the best farmer's market in the city will be up, as well.
(Green City Market is 7 am-1 pm; South end of Lincoln Park; at approx. 1700 N. Clark Street/1700 N. Stockton Drive).

RE: Cocktails
NoMi Lounge (at Park Hyatt; link not loading) rooftop is great. Or ROOF at the Wit Hotel. Or Vertigo at the Hotel Dana.
http://thewithotel.com/experience/roof/
http://www.danahotelandspa.com/vertigo-lounge.aspx

RE: Other fun things...
Glazed and Infused donuts (or just gourmet donuts... they're kinda a thing, now.)
http://www.goglazed.com/
Second City's latest mainstage show "A clown car named desire"
http://www.secondcity.com/performances/detail/1705/

The Sofitel is very well placed for shopping, so good job there. Have a great time!
Old Sep 6th, 2013, 02:49 PM

Happy Birthday and you will have an awesome trip. You have not been there for 11 years....think what museum YOU want to see for YOUR BIRTHDAY weekend! Your husband will cope just fine whatever your choice is. I enjoyed the stained glass and architectural details of the Cultural Center, if you have not been there before.(PS. I'm going to Chicago the week before you for my 50th)
Old Sep 6th, 2013, 03:08 PM

David Burke for what was the finest steak I have ever eaten.
Hubby had 40 day aged ribeye; I had 28 day. $$$$ but worth every $

http://www.davidburkesprimehouse.com/

For a funny and different dinner - Girl and The Goat or
Little Goat Diner.

http://www.stephanieizard.com/blog/girl_and_the_goat/
Old Sep 6th, 2013, 04:50 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd forgotten about Geja's Café. Have a great time there on your birthday.
We are basically not steak eaters but when living in Chicago we went to one once. Gibson's at Rush and State, very near your hotel. Classic and local and has a very good reputation. Another place to dine near the Sofitel, is Bistro Zinc on N. State, good French bistro fare. Le Colonial, French Colonial/Vietnamese is a little south on Rush, a favorite of ours.
I like the atmosphere in the bar at The Drake Hotel and at NoMi.
When we return to the city, we go to the Lincoln Park Zoo (weather depending) and the Art Institute.
Old Sep 6th, 2013, 06:32 PM

If you enjoy art, the Art Institute has changed a lot since you lived there and definitely is worth a visit. I used to live in Chicago as well, but am able to get back there fairly often. But I have not been to Geja's in ages - many happy memories there. Thanks for the reminder - I'll put it on my list for next time. Enjoy your birthday dinner and wonderful Chicago!
Old Sep 6th, 2013, 08:05 PM

We had a fantastic 45 minute free docent tour of Millenium Park last May. Not only is the park interesting and beautiful, the information from the docent was fascinating. She covered sculptures, gardens, history, etc. Limited to ten people, show up early.

http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en...yourvisit.html

Enjoy your birthday!
Old Sep 7th, 2013, 04:31 AM

You may be able to arrange a custom tour if you reserve [10 business days ahead] ASAP with:
http://chicagogreeter.com/

It's free and they do a great job. If you don't prearrange a tour, they have walk ups. We did the walk up and we were the only 2 people, so we had pretty much the same custom tour.

Check the instatour dates and times, they aren't every day:
http://chicagogreeter.com/instagreeter/
Old Sep 7th, 2013, 01:45 PM

HappyBirthday! Rose Angeli's? Is that in lakeview? We used to go to a place I just call Angeli's which was on or still is, on Broadway near Addison.

And Penney's! It is as good as you remember!

More upscale, our favs are Sepia in the near west and North Pond in Lincoln Park.
Old Sep 7th, 2013, 10:11 PM

I believe that MarySteveChicago has Angelina's Ristorante (in Lakeview) confused with Rose Angelis (in Lincoln Park).

Well, since you moved away...

Millennium Park (mentioned above) opened in 2004 to great fanfare. You may recall how long it took to finish that project. Redmoon Theatre led the opening ceremonies. (As a side note, Redmoon Theatre will be performing a major spectacle October 2014 at for The Great Chicago Fire Festival - at the River Walk.)

The Chicago River Walk (along the south bank of the main branch of the Chicago River) is now open from Franklin St. eastwards to DuSable Harbor, where you can pick up the Lakefront Trail and would be new to you. Although you might wish to only walk the distance from the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Plaza - at Wabash Plaza - which would also be new to you.

The McCormick Bridge and Chicago River Museum opened in 2006. It is located on the lower level of the southwestern bridge house of the DuSable Bridge (formerly known as the Michigan Avenue Bridge). http://www.bridgehousemuseum.org/home/ You might be interested to know that a bridge lift is scheduled for (approximately) 9:00 a.m. on September 28. Unfortunately, you cannot be *IN* the bridge house when this happens because they've sold out for that date. However, you might want to be on the River Walk at that time. As you may recall, in the fall, the bridges open consecutively from the lake going westwards to allow the watercraft coming from the harbors to go to dry dock.

Where in Lakeview did you live? Are you planning on some time there? I take it that your husband didn't live in Chicago?

Quite a bit has changed in those years...A number of the old Lakeview stand-bys are still there (Yoshi's Café, The Chicago Diner, Nookies Tree, Ann Sathers) and quite a few newer restaurants (Wood on N. Halsted - chef worked at Alinea, Chilam Balam - chef worked at Topolabampo/Frontera Grill, Bar Pastoral on N. Broadway, Taverna 750 on Cornelia, etc.). Intelligentsia is a much bigger business now with three locations - two downtown - and many accolades.

I'm sure you remember the Taste of Chicago. Well, now there is another festival which really celebrates Chicago's finer dining scene. The Chicago Gourmet will be held in Millennium Park that weekend you are here. The list of contributing chefs is more than 100 in number. Although I'm not sure if you may be interested in this, thought I'd post this information for you: http://www.illinoisrestaurants.org/a...hicagogourmet/ BTW, Yoshi Katsumara (of Yoshi's Café) won the judge's award at the Hamburger Hop last year.

To just name a few restaurants around the city associated with Kendall College alumni:

Hot Doug's original location burned quite a few years ago and it was closed for nearly 9 months. Then Doug Sohn reopened close by. Well, the lines are longer than ever - especially on those Fridays and Saturdays - and still one of the highest rated places.

Mercat a la Planxa (one of Jose Garces' establishments) is located in the historic Blackstone Hotel - which underwent a major renovation several years ago.

Hot Chocolate (Mindy Segal) is located in Bucktown

Green Zebra (Shawn McClain) is in Noble Square

Inasfar as museums, they did a major renovation of the U505 at the Museum of Science and Industry - and the exhibit leading up to it is really quite impressive. You can still board it - for an extra fee, of course.

The Art Institute has the (newer) Modern Wing designed by Terzo Piano which opened in 2009 - as well as the walkway from the Modern Wing to the Great Lawn of the Jay Pritzker Pavilion at Millennium Park. Remember the Terra Museum of American Art which was located on N. Michigan Avenue? It closed and the collections were absorbed into the Art Institute.

Don't go to the Shedd on the weekend, if you help it - or, if you do, go as soon as it opens. It's the busiest of the museums, by far.
Old Sep 7th, 2013, 10:20 PM

Oh, my gosh! It's much too late for me, I guess.

I gave you incorrect information above. The Modern Wing at the Art Institute was designed by RENZO Piano. Terzo Piano is the restaurant contained on the third floor of it.

My sincere apologizes in not catching that error when proof-reading.
Old Sep 9th, 2013, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the replies! I had found David Burke's Prime on the interent and thought it might be good, looks confirmed from this thread! Also Vertigo and Nomi were others I found for cocktails and further confirnmed on here. That is why I like Fodorites so much : ) Someone must have read my mind about how much I love donuts too so that link was especially appreciated. A southern girl at heart, Ihad always loved Krispy Kremes but they used ot not be in Chicago and I remember living there when the first store opened and the Chicago craze for these little pieces of heaven, the gourmet version is probably even better!

Yes the museum is the one choice I am giving my husband and there is no way he will go to the Art Institute so prob will be Shedd Aquarium and yes I remember how busy they are! Husband is a Floridian who has lived here since high school (even went to UF which is only 2 hours away). He has been to Chicago many times for work but pretty much only saw the insude of his hotel and McCormack Center every time as he usually comes in November and too cold for him to venture out LOL and not much spare time. I do think he has been to Gibson's and Hugo's though for work dinners but that is about it.

Anyone have advice on the spa situation? I want to get an apprt booked prior to leaving. Need something near Mich Avenue.
Old Sep 9th, 2013, 07:28 AM

Hmmm... regarding the spa, I, unfortunately have little experience on this.
But my friends who get massages, like Urban Oasis.
http://www.urbanoasismassage.com/

Hope someone else can provide more reccos.
Old Oct 1st, 2013, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

UPDATE!!!!

Just returned from my trip and had a fabulous time. Weather was to die for as 76 and sunny every day during the day and 60s in the evening unusually great for Chicago this time of year. Stay at Sofitel was great due to niceness of hotel and great location near shopping, restaurants, Water Tower area mag mile and Chicago avenue red line stop.

First day arrived at 2pm to hotel after taking orange line from Midway and then redline from downtown and walked some on mag mile. We did casual dinner that evening at Geno's East and then went over to the State Street shopping district went to the old Marshall Field's/Macy's looked around some souvenir Frango Chicago chocolates in the basement to bring back as gifts and early to bed that evening.

Thursday, early start for nice sit down breakfast at Tempo Cafe on Chestnut by hotel then off to the Shedd Aquarium before it got super busy. We did the Shedd pass so we didn't get into the shows or the Jellyfish special expo but were able to see everything else. After Shedd we took redline to Lakeview area and had a late lunch at Penny's Noodle Shop, just as good as I remembered! then went an took photos at Wrigley as my husband had never been there and stopped into to Cubby Bear and Sluggers for a few drinks and the famous batting cages. Redline back to hotel to rest a bit and change. That evening we went to Wildfire for dinner. I was NOT impressed. We wanted steak but wanted to keep the price reasonable and didn't have reservations so chose not to go to David Burke's Prime. This was a mistake on our part as Wildfire while more reasonably priced (our dinner for 2 was $100) was terrible experience with overcooked steaks and undercooked potatoes - I would not recommend it. After dinner however we had a wonderful time stopping first at Signature Room at Hancock for drinks and amazing views and then on to Vertigo Lounge for a different but very funky and fun rooftop experience.

Friday after sleeping a bit later and some Starbucks to recover and then a doughnut from Glazed as we got off the EL (WOW is all I can say!), we headed to the Lincoln Park Zoo and the outdoor nature walk to soak in some of the gorgeous weather. That afternoon we headed to Jeweler's Row as my hubby let me pick out a gorgeous sapphire (my birthstone) bracelet for my birthday : ) Dinner on Friday night was at Rose Angelis in Lincoln Park and the Italian food and atmosphere was to die for with huge portions and really good wine. After dinner we did ENO wine bar at Intercontinental, a bit overpriced and pretentious so we moved across the street to somewhere called Wine and Swine to the like which had a more fun atmosphere.

Saturday weather was to die for so we wanted to spend most of our time outside. That morning we did Millennium Park although some of it was closed as they were setting up for the Gourmet Festival that afternoon/evening which we did not make it back for and I would have like to. Then we did Buckingham Fountain and Grant Park next. Back downtown with Heaven on Seven for lunch (this was a little more touristy than I remember but food was good and I used to go to the Lakeview location which is now closed, maybe the Mich Ave one was always touristy?) After lunch we did boat tour with Shoreline Sightseeing and last stop on boat was Navy Pier wo we got off and walked around for a short while. Let me start with , I am NOT a Navy Pier fan and this day was particularly crazy because it was Saturday and weather was so good but hubby had never been and we did get some gifts for our son at the Children's museum gift shop. Saturday night was the big birthday dinner at Geja's and yes it was absolutely wonderful. Great atmosphere and special occasion food. For those of you who don't know this sis a fondue restaurant (however nothing like the Melting Pot) and has been around for 50 years in Chicago and voted Most Romantic restaurant in the city numerous times. Dinner for 2 was about $250 including a medium price bottle of wine but worth every penny and because it was my 40th birthday and hubby called them ahead of time at least twice, they gave us one of their private booths and extra special attention : ) After dinner we went to Webster's Wine Bar which was recommended by the concierge at the hotel and as being a great local spot in the western area of Lincoln Park. They had comfy couches and good wine. IT was a short cab ride.

Sunday we did breakfast at a dive called Johnny's Diner around the corner from the hotel to avoid the Sunday brunch lines at some of the other restaurants. IT was cheap and good but definitely a dive. After a hearty breakfast we hit the shopping trail and walked all the way down Michigan avenue from Chestnut to the river and back and bought lots of items at many stores in between. Also stopped and got some famous Garrett's popcorn. Alas, we had to take off for rhte airport at 3pm on Sunday as we had an early evening flight and were using the EL to get there so knew it would take a while.

Overall the trip was great. Definitely recommend to anyone going to get the unlimited ride visitor pass for CTA El and buses. Worth every penny as we each got a 7 day pass for $28 even though we were only there for 5 days (they come in 3 day or 7 day passes). We purchased the passes at Midway and just using them to get to and from the hotel and airport as opposed to cabbing it we got our money’s worth. WE did however use them every day as public transit in Chicago is clean, fast and easy to use. We only to cabs when going out to dinner at night as I wasn’t about to clomp along to the EL in 5 in high heels and a skirt LOL. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old Oct 2nd, 2013, 03:01 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Glad it all went so well.Thanks for reporting back.