Chicago Tomorrow Restaurant Help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2010, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Chicago for a conference Nov 10 - 12. Staying at the Swisshotel on Wacker. I am a female travelling alone. Anyone have any suggestions for dinner nearby.

Some one told me about a place called Bellisima on Clark (I think). Cannot find it on line so no idea how far it is from the hotel.

Sorry for the short notice but have been so busy this conference kinda snuck up on me.

Thanks,

kay
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 09:23 AM

My favorite restaurant in Chicago is Shaw's for seafood. It's close enough to walk, but I would advise you take a cab.
I would recommend Topolobampo for Mexican, Bistro 110 for French and Avec for nouvelle cuisine. If you really feel adventurous, I would highly recommend the Purple Pig. If you want casual, I would suggest Gino's East for pizza, Carson's for ribs/barbeque, Greek Islands for Greek or Epic Burger for hamburgers.
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 09:27 AM

I think you mean Bella Bellisima at 5640 N Clark. It's about 7 miles north of your hotel in the Andersonville neighborhood. You could reach it via public transit (the Number 22 bus northbound on Dearborn Street) or cab (around $20), but there are hundreds of places closer.

What are you looking for? What's your budget? There's The Palm in the Swissôtel and Stetson's Steak House next door in the Hyatt. Within a few blocks you'll find Weber Grill, Catch 35, Park Grill and Banderas(Mexican). Check www.metromix.com or www.chicagoreader.com for restaurant listings. You can search by cuisine, price or neighborhood.
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 09:49 AM

I looked for Bellisima at metromix.com, which lists many Chicago restaurants, but couldn't find it. Checked the white pages and didn't see it.

Your hotel concierge should be able to help you not only find a good restaurant but also secure a table. Taxis are not particularly expensive in Chicago and our weather is good this week so this gives you more options as far as leaving your immediate vicinity. Within a 5-10 minute taxi ride north of your hotel are many restaurants.
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Bumper, I was just looking at Bistro 110. It looks appealing so may give that a try.

My per diem is only $30 per day for dinner, but my budget could go higher. Like the French bistro idea as well as northern Italian. I found my note and discover it was actually Bravissima and if my searching is correct it is now closed.

Many thanks for the prompt replies.

kay
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 12:55 PM

For something casual, I ate at Xoco (Rick Bayless's newest restaurant, next to Topolo) and loved it. Definitely within your budget, but more casual than a nice sit-down meal.
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 01:24 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Right across the river take a look at Volare. We have dined there several times and always have enjoyed it. It is behind the Tribune Tower so walkable from Swisshotel. Shaw's Seafood is also nearby and walkable. Very close to your hotel, Aria in the Fairmont Hotel has delicious Asian food.You do not need to go far to find a very good dinner.
Bistro 110 is fine but if you want French, a little north of there is Bistro Zinc on Rush Street.
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 06:46 PM

Another vote for XOCO or Frontera - worth the wait.
Old Nov 15th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will keep them for furture dining in Chicago. I did end up eating at Bistro 110. It was a beautiful night for a walk up Michigan Ave and I saw the sign and said OK this was meant to be. I had not been feeling great earlier so dinner was a light, though delicious meal. I enjoyed the atmosphere and the service was good. I would go back.

kay