Search

Chicago location

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2018, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chicago location

Please assist on recommending decent areas to stay for a long weekend in the Second City. Family of four, walking distance to the L or usual museums. Either walking or short train ride to (I'm guessing) Grant Park or River North areas preferred. Will be puttering out to Wrigley too, so wanting to be near the Red Line. Knowledge of Chicago is general - has L, has Cubs baseball team, has Field Museum, Science & industry, and various others of note (the Field is the key - wife wants to see man-eaters of Tsavo), famous comedy troupe, hometown of immediate ex-President, etc. But knowledge of areas to stay and good places to perambulate with the hobbits (11, 8) are sorely lacking.

Suggestions for locations requested. If you have hotel suggestions in the $200 range, that would also be much appreciated. Working the booking/expedia/etc route too. Thanks in advance.
Old May 15th, 2018, 02:08 PM

We recently stayed at the Residence Inn/Downtown Loop which we thought was in an excellent central location, and it's a new/modern hotel, probably in your price range.
Old May 15th, 2018, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Noted, thanks.
Old May 15th, 2018, 03:05 PM

We like the Embassy Suites (there are two just north of the river and the loop) - especially with kids, gives you all a little extra room to spread out. And includes breakfast! Both are a couple miles north of the Field Museum and then it's another couple miles to the Museum of Science and Industry.

Millenium Park is a good place to wander around with kids as is Maggie Daley Park. The Official Website of Maggie Daley Park Chicago - Maggie Daley Park

Another favorite place is Eataly, if only to inhale the vapors of yummy smelling things! https://www.eataly.com/us_en/stores/chicago/
Old May 15th, 2018, 03:43 PM

We live in the far suburbs but stay downtown about once every month or two. We usually try to stay around your price range or lower. We don't have one particular hotel we always use because the prices seem to vary considerably. If there is something big in town, such as one of the music festivals or a large convention, that can sway prices to the high end (for example, we tried to stay downtown on a Saturday last June for a U2 show, and were completely out of luck between that and the oncology convention).

River North and the Loop, particularly the eastern half closer to State Street are good locations and convenient for transportation, and there are a lot of options in both locations. Off the top of my head, we have had no issues with both Hyatt Place and Hyatt Centric hotels, the aforementioned Residence Inn, the deWit, the Kimpton Gray, the Alise @ Washington/State (formerly a Kimpton), the Hilton Garden Inn on E. Wacker, and the Palmer House (though it is huge!). Daughter stayed at the Congress Plaza, which is often better priced than many, and did not have good things to say.

We've also stayed recently at a couple of properties (Hyatt Centric and Hampton Inn) on St. Clair, one block east of Michigan Ave. that were reasonably priced, recently updated and well located for getting around. We are trying the relatively new AC hotel (Marriott) in River North next month because it had the best price for our weekend stay.

Last edited by ms_go; May 15th, 2018 at 04:20 PM.
Old May 16th, 2018, 05:18 AM

Stayed at the Embassy Suites Chicago Downtown about 18 months ago and were very happy with the hotel, location, and as mentioned above, extra room for the kid. Was able to easily get everywhere we wanted to go via public transport for a long weekend, including to/from airport. There's a very good high end pizza restaurant attached to the hotel, and the breakfast was the best I've ever had at an embassy suites, certainly with the most diverse selection.
Old May 16th, 2018, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

All: Thanks for these suggestions.
Old May 16th, 2018, 08:40 AM

I have never heard anyone recommend this hotel except me. I think it is a hidden gem. The River Hotel. It is about a block east of Michigan Avenue on Wacker. The rooms are a little small ( usually get the standard queen) but more than enough room to sleep. I have always gotten a view of the river although sometimes the window is on the smaller side. The service is wonderful. Very friendly.

The 'L" is about 2 blocks away at State/Lake. The Red Line is also there. There are buses everywhere. Quick walk to Millennial Park and to the Miracle Mile.
Old May 16th, 2018, 03:16 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We lived in downtown Chicago in different areas and when we return we like River North and Streeterville( east of Michigan Ave, north of Chicago River). Great walks along the lakefront and by the river.