Chicago Itinerary This Weekend

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughters and I (ages 50, 28, 20, 16)will be in Chicago Friday-Sunday. We are planning a trolley tour when we get there Fri aft, dinner at Gino's East Fri nite, Mag Mile Sat w/lunch at L'Appetito and dinner at Gibson's, breakfast at Lou Mitchell's Sun and the Sears Tower. Staying at James Hotel. Interested in street food for lunch on Fri and any itinerary suggestions or specific destinations. Girls enjoy shopping, eating, relaxing. Recommendations?
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 08:40 AM
dmlove

I would not miss taking a walk or a bike ride along the lakefront path (my favorite is to do this on Sunday morning, maybe before breakfast?). They might also enjoy the CAF architectural river cruise, which is relaxing and informative (and Chicago architecture is, needless to see, fabulous).

Old Jul 15th, 2008, 08:47 AM

3 things. First of all, rather than the Sears Tower go to the 96th floor of the Hancock to the lounge. Great views for the price of a drink or soda for the younger girls (yes, children under 21 are allowed). You will be at Appetito any way (assuming you were going to the one at the lower plaza of the Hancock.

Not to be missed is the just restored Tiffany Dome at the Chicago Cultural Center (Washington and Michigan) in the Loop. A real MUST SEE!!!! It is valued at 35 Million $$$$$$$.

After that go directly across Michigan Blvd. to Millinnium Park. Fun place with lots to see including "The Bean".

Also, if you have time, take the Architectural Foundation River Tour.

Have fun. Chicago is a GREAT city.

Curious
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 08:56 AM

Sunday afternoon, at 1pm, call the Steppenwolf Theater for their "20 for $20" tickets and see the mainstage play - Superior Donuts - by Tracy Letts (last year's Pulitzer and Tony Prize winner for 'August: Osage County') at either 3 pm or 7:30 pm. This is a funny, moving, incredibly-entertaining play. Broadway-calibre production. A cab ride would be about $10 for all 4, then you could stroll Armitage avenue and see all their cute boutiques.
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help. Curious, what is "The Bean"? I did not have the Chicago Cultural Center on the itinerary but had planned to go to Millinium Park so will add it. Thanks!! And we are going to the Apertito at the Hancock and had planned to visit the 96th floor to break up our shopping day on Saturday. Anyone stayed at the James? Comments?
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 07:35 AM

"The Bean" is a huge bean-shaped stainless steel sculpture the real name of which is Cloud Gate.