chicago hotels, tranportation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2003, 11:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, My wife and I are visiting Chicago in June and wondered if there are any of you that have stayed at the Residence Inn in Rosemont, near O'hare??

Also, what is the best way to get around town, in and out.. I hear that the traffic is terrible in Chicago.

What are the must see sights around town?

thanks,

Old May 1st, 2003, 04:47 AM

I assume you have business up in Rosemont? Not much going on there. I wouldn't get a car (unless you really need one.) Driving from Rosemont to the city is a huge nightmare...esp. rush hours!

You can get on the El train in Rosemont and it will take you downtown. Once there you can walk or take cabs wherever you need.

As far as sights, what are some of your interests? Art Institute, Field Musuem, Architecture river boat tours, Cubs game, shopping on Oak Street, Armitage Ave and the boutiques in Bucktown, street fairs, eating...all my favorite things to do in Chicago!

Go to Metromix.com for a very comprehensive listing of everything going on in Chicago.
Old May 1st, 2003, 04:50 AM

Should also mention there are free trolleys in the summer that will take you around the tourist attractions. They are scattered around town.
Old May 1st, 2003, 08:27 AM

I'll second the observation that traffic between downtown and O'Hare is miserable. It was last year, so the memory dims, but I think the cab fare for that route was $30-$35 one way. You would do well to look into public transportation (or stay downtown if you can).
Old May 1st, 2003, 09:07 AM

Consider changing your location unless you want to spend a considerable amount of your vacation in transit. The Palmer House is a classic old downtown hotel that is located on State Street and within walking distance of the Art Museum, Grant Park, Shedd Aquarium, Adler Planetarium, and the Field Museum. By locating farther north near the magnificent mile along North Michigan Avenue, you will put yourself in the heart of the shopping district near Navy Pier and Oak Street Beach just off Lake Shore Drive. You can take the train into the city from ORD and then take a short taxi ride to your hotel. Don't forget about the free trolley system that Kirsty mentioned too!