Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Are there hotels in NYC that charge to store your bags after you check out?

Old Apr 30th, 2003, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm flying out around 5:00 PM and would like to store my bags to do some last minute sightseeing. Are most hotels in NYC okay about storing your bags for a few hours ? I would probably check out around 10:00 AM and pick up my bags around 2:00 PM. I haven't chosen a hotel yet but, am curious if anyone has a personal experience , good or bad with this particular situation. It might help to know what hotels to advoid that have had a problem with this. Thanks for any info.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 05:46 PM

I've done this both before and after checking in. In most hotels it's complimentary or at worst costs a few dollars. I offer a small tip for the bellman who stores and retrieves the bags but have not been asked to pay.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Okay, great! I have read some threads on other forums where people have a problem with this. One thread mentioned having to pay $120.00 half day fee at the Waldorf for keeping their bags until they left for their flight. I don't plan on staying at the Waldorf but, I may use Priceline and would be concerned if I got a hotel that would do something like this. I sure don't mind paying a tip or a small fee of course. Thanks for your info.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

By the way Owen ONeil , you are talking about New York City hotels aren't you?I have never had a problem with this either at other city hotels but, I am referring to the hotels in NYC.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 06:36 PM

I have stayed at numerous hotels in NYC and often checked bags for a few hours after check-out so that I didn't have to drag them to a business appointment and never have had to pay for this service. The bellman who retrieves your bags will expect a few dollars tip but that's it.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 07:18 PM

I recall having to pay to check bags after check out at the New York Hilton and Towers. I don't really recall how much, but I remember feeling like it was too much at the time! Because then of course you DO also tip the bellman who brings them out to you...
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 07:27 PM

My favorites, though I can't remember them all at the moment, have been the ones where the bellman asks when picking up your bags from your room and hands you claim checks and sends you on your way (so you don't have to go the the lobby and check them there). The Waldorf was one, though, and where you collect them is right next to the drive-up entrance/exit, making it all very convenient. The checkroom clerk had no basket and refused a tip. There was no charge to check the bags.

There was a $3/bag charge at the New York Hilton. Of all the places we've stayed in NYC, that was the only hotel that charged for baggage storage.
Old May 1st, 2003, 05:25 AM

If you are leaving at 2, you might want to ask for a late check out. You can just pick up your bags from your room and take off.
Old May 1st, 2003, 06:12 AM
GoTravel

$120 to leave checked bags at the Waldorf? I think they had to pay for a 5PM checkout instead of checking bags. I was never charged to check my bags at the Waldorf or any other hotel including the Hilton. I did tip the bellman $5 or so depending upon how many bags I had. Usually $1-$2 per bag.

Old May 1st, 2003, 06:20 AM

You'll have no problem checking your bags. As mentioned, at worst, you'll pay a slight fee for checking them.
I'll agree about the $120 charge. That couldn't have been for storing bags, but rather was probably for a late checkout. There is a big difference! It's amazing how stories get significantly altered in their retelling!
Old May 1st, 2003, 09:24 AM

I was definitely charged for the storage at the Hilton, though this was 5 or 6 years ago. Had to tip the bellman to TAKE them to storage, and another bellman when he brought them back. (The Hilton also charged for the coffee when you made it in your room, even the first bag, which I had also never encountered before.)