Chicago transit

Jul 27th, 2004, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

Chicago transit

My family will be visiting Chicago in September. It looks like there is an RTA train system that we can take from our hotel in Rosemont to Chicago. Does it go directly to the Shedd Aquarium area? We thought we'd start our day there. Any tips on buying lunch in the park?
Jul 28th, 2004, 06:42 AM
JJ5

I doubt if you are going to get a good answer to this, as it will take a lot of "explaining". Chicago is HUGE. It is not like so many of the eastern USA cities. The tourist who comes to Chicago thinks it is walkable and easy to get around, and it IS- for those areas that tourists are attracted to through media and on boards like this. But even so, you are talking miles to walk between Grant Park and River North, Watertower areas etc. And about 1/2 to 1/3 of the entire city is NOT near any trains or els (much of South or Southwest sides). Furthermore the West and Northwest rides are not "fast" like a ride to the Bronx is, in my opinion.

Some might disagree, but I can't see staying in Rosemont- if you want to do or see what is in Chicago.

Having said that, the optimum way to see Chicago museums in to stay downtown or on North Michigan Ave. Otherwise, you can always take a train to the loop-but will walk or need to get cab or bus to get to most places you will want to see. It will take you a good commute time and you will be need your energy for the museum walks, as they are huge also. Because of the new Millenium Park, you may also be tempted to check that out on the way to lakefront museums. It also pays to buy the combo tickets for tourist entrance fees.

Shedd Aquarium in on the lake near the Field Museum and not too far from Grant Park. It is a good stop and you will need at least 3 to 4 hours there. The Art Institute is absolutely terrific and should not be missed for anything. If you want to go to Museum of Science and Industry, you will need a couple hours of commute time each way, getting there from Rosemont.

Chicago is great for a visit. I live in far Southwest suburbs and take a room downtown or near North about once or twice a year to see a bunch. Otherwise you could spent a good half of your time getting up and back. Check out metromix.com and/or put in searches for past Chicago questions. You would also need CTA maps, I would think- besides RTA.
Jul 28th, 2004, 06:58 AM

The El does not go directly to the museum campus. The closest El stop is at Roosevelt Rd. (about a 10-15 minute walk), but even that will require a transfer of trains downtown from the O'Hare blue line to one of the lines that stops at Roosevelt. Or you could take the El downtown and transfer to one of several bus routes that run to the museum campus.

The RTA website has detailed route maps and a very good route planner:

http://www.rtachicago.com/

You also can call the RTA at 312-836-7000, and they will provide route assistance.
Jul 28th, 2004, 09:56 AM

I just did a Google search with the words "chicago transit" and came up with this:

http://transitchicago.com/

This has all the maps, trip planners, etc., basically everything you need.

Curious
Jul 28th, 2004, 10:26 AM

First, don't refer to the transit system as RTA, nobody will know what you are reffering to.

To get to the Shedd Aquarium take the BLue line from Rosemont to Washington Stop.

Transfer to Bus 146 to Shedd.

Total fare $2
Jul 28th, 2004, 10:27 AM

Sorry forgot to mention you should call it CTA.

And your transfer requires you to walk a block to State St.
Jul 28th, 2004, 11:55 AM

chigal,

Your suggestion of "yourcta.com" and my "transitchicago.com" arrive at the exact same web site.

Curious
Jul 28th, 2004, 04:50 PM

I would advise against taking the #10 bus to the Shedd Aquarium because it runs express after Roosevelt or 11th (somewhere around there) if you don't get off at the right stop you could end up 10 miles away from where you want to be.
Jul 28th, 2004, 06:05 PM

I agree Chigal that it is always good idea to have extra options when traveling by bus in chicago. The 10 is probably a fine option but wanted to let the future Chi-town fan know they will need to get off before it goes express.

Jul 29th, 2004, 08:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much everyone! I feel better about getting around the Windy City now!