Mount Rainier Lodging - Help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2004, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be staying at Mount Rainier for two nights. Does anyone have any suggestions where 2 adults could stay? The Paradise Inn sounds nice but several people have said the walls in the rooms are very thin. Are there rooms in a quieter section? Is this true about the rooms? Also has anyone stayed at the StormKing cabins in Ashford, Wa.? How far would this be from the park entrance? I am looking for something fairly nice, not too rustic. Thanks!!
Old May 18th, 2004, 08:13 AM

About five years ago we stayed at a great place outside of the park called Whistlin' Jack's Lodge in Chinook Pass (www.whistlinjacklodge.com). We stayed in the Ellensburg Cabin and it was great - set right on the river with it's own hot tub on the deck. There is a restuarant and a little store (where they made us great sandwiches to take hiking in the Park). There was also a hike right from the lodge along a river that ran through a cave - really interesting. We went into Yakima once while we were there for dinner and went to Mt. Ranier several times for hikes.
Old May 18th, 2004, 09:57 AM

We have stayed at the Paradise Lodge. I don't remember any problem with noise. In fact quite the contrary.

Even though the area around the Visitor Center becomes extremely crowded with day visitors, by late afternoon to late morning it can be very quiet.

The dining room at the lodge is a great eating spot. Also there is a well stocked bar area.

When are you planning on staying? The lodge fills up very quickly and usually you need to make reservations many months in advance.

JoeG
Old May 18th, 2004, 05:58 PM

We have also stayed at the Paradise Lodge, and we loved it. It's a classic National Park lodge, right up there with lodges in any of the other national parks. There are no TVs or phones in the rooms and they're too small to do much of anything so we also found our room very quiet. Perhaps you could try asking for a room in an especially quiet location, such as the far end of a hall.

Anyplace else to stay is a significant drive from Mt. Rainier and the view and ambience won't possibly compare.
Old May 19th, 2004, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help everyone. Maybe I will consider the Paradise Inn. I've also read good things about Alexander's Country Inn in Ashford. It is at the park's entrance. Maybe someone could tell me about that place. Whistlin Jack Lodge also sounds very nice.
Old May 19th, 2004, 05:18 AM

Oh definitely stay in the park at Paradise Inn! Its a wonderful, grand lodge, similar to the Old Faithful Inn and with incredible views. I don't remember thin walls at all, and after a day of exploring you'll likely be too tired to notice even if they ARE thin. The private bathroom was small but sufficient and i recall fairly nice toiletries, too! I'd stay there again in a heartbeat!
Old May 19th, 2004, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

I'm worried that everyone keeps saying the Paradise Lodge is rustic. Just how rustic is this place?
Old May 19th, 2004, 05:59 AM

As others have said, rustic means no phones or tvs in the room, lots of log construction. wood paneling, beamed ceilings, spectacular views, fireplace in the lodge. If you've stayed at any of the great old lodges in the National Parks, well... this is one of them.

What are your expectations?

JoeG
Old May 19th, 2004, 06:03 AM

Patti, i do not camp and don't like anything that remotely resembles camping. Nothing personal to those that do, but its just not my thing. I'm not the Hilton Queen but i'm definitely close -- maybe the Hampton Inn Queen?! But staying in places like the Paradise Inn (or even in a tiny concrete teepee in holbrook, arizona!) will make memories you'll never forget.

Staying in the nat'l park lodges is delightful, even the time we shared a bathroom in Old Faithful Inn.
Mt. Rainier is very similar to the others altho i believe most rooms have private baths. If anything, the rooms reminded me of mom and pop motel rooms in the 60s -70s...very clean and tidy, just small. The dining room and major gathering areas are lovely. Its just a special place to stay, and the ambiance, atmosphere and views make up for any lack of decor. Besides, once you're in the park you'll want to stay and not be going back and forth, a major waste of time.

Remember, anyone can stay in a Hilton, but you have the chance to stay in the one and only Paradise Inn! Do it! And be sure you give us a trip report when you return.
Old May 19th, 2004, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Ellen, you have definately made up my mind about staying at the Paradise Lodge in September. I have already made my reservations and am very excited. I had to laugh when I read your reply because I also am the Hampton Inn queen. Thank you again so very much and thanks to everyone else. Now on to plan my next phase of the trip.